Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rompy

Battery maintainer

6 posts in this topic

I’m a firm believer in battery maintenance, I know I may be a bit early but come winter I don’t plan on driving my 2012 Smart for Two Pure.  I guess what I’d like to know if some of you have installed a Battery Tender on your Smart cars and does it affect any of the electrical systems on these or cause any electrical issues?

Just remove the neg and attach the battery tender to the battery, not the car's electrical system, then reattach and remove tender in the spring.  I would also use a low voltage battery warmer if garage isn't heated. You will enjoy your Smart in the snow as it's a great winter car, seriously!  A good set of snows and block off the rad and if not in a heated garage install a oil pan heater and time it for an hour before you want to leave.  The only issue I found when driving too fast during a snow storm was, it didn't want to stop fast but it could easily beat most cars across the light.  It's the bicycle width front tires that couldn't get the stopping power when driving too fast, but normal winter driving they were fine. No different to any other car.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Willys said:

Just remove the neg and attach the battery tender to the battery, not the car's electrical system, then reattach and remove tender in the spring.  I would also use a low voltage battery warmer if garage isn't heated. You will enjoy your Smart in the snow as it's a great winter car, seriously!  A good set of snows and block off the rad and if not in a heated garage install a oil pan heater and time it for an hour before you want to leave.  The only issue I found when driving too fast during a snow storm was, it didn't want to stop fast but it could easily beat most cars across the light.  It's the bicycle width front tires that couldn't get the stopping power when driving too fast, but normal winter driving they were fine. No different to any other car.

Thanks Willy’s, I don’t plan on driving it during the winter,  it’ll sit in a heated garage where I’ll likely mess around with it getting to know all bout how to fix what needs fixing, maintaining it and I guess personalizing it.  I’ve been going through google and finding out how to do all the maintenance and I’m finding it seems fairly easy to fix most stuff on it, I’m quite mechanically inclined and always do my own work on all my vehicles. I’ve already changed the gear oil, installed all new filters,  gona  change the oil next week and put new plugs in.  I’m thinking of removing and lubricating the shift control module also. That should do it for now unless you have some recommendations that I should consider.

I have a battery maintainer on a timer (It's on about 5 hours every night).  This maintainer looks after my winter beater during the summer months and the Cabrio over the winter.  The Cabrio is an '06 and still has the original battery in it. I connected two wires directly to the battery and have a matching plug on the maintainer.

Smart battery plug 01.jpg

Smart battery plug 02.jpg

Smart battery plug 03.jpg

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, akbaradeli said:

A battery maintainer is essentially a battery charger that's designed to supply your battery with a small amount of electricity for long periods of inactivity. A battery maintainer will also extend the life of the battery.

Oh I understand that,  I’ve put them on all my vehicles and motorcycles that I put away for the winter. I’m just not familiar with the Smart, just wanted to make sure I don’t go causing a problem that can cause me a bunch of money at a later date. 

20 hours ago, Leadwing said:

I have a battery maintainer on a timer (It's on about 5 hours every night).  This maintainer looks after my winter beater during the summer months and the Cabrio over the winter.  The Cabrio is an '06 and still has the original battery in it. I connected two wires directly to the battery and have a matching plug on the maintainer.

Smart battery plug 01.jpg

Smart battery plug 02.jpg

Smart battery plug 03.jpg

Thanks