Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smart42

Alternator for 2006 CDI wanted

10 posts in this topic

This response is courtesy of Looselugnuts ............... "rockauto new alternator for 2006 cdi $185 plus tax and shipping (no core charge)...."

On 6/3/2021 at 6:51 AM, Leadwing said:

This response is courtesy of Looselugnuts ............... "rockauto new alternator for 2006 cdi $185 plus tax and shipping (no core charge)...."

Has anyone in the club had good luck with that alternator? ( WAI GLOBAL 23901N ). My alternator has a bad diode and is killing my battery if it sits for a couple days. Haven't seen any reviews about it anywhere..

42 minutes ago, DTA said:

Has anyone in the club had good luck with that alternator? ( WAI GLOBAL 23901N ). My alternator has a bad diode and is killing my battery if it sits for a couple days. Haven't seen any reviews about it anywhere..

are you sure its your alternator that is killing you battery?    do you have a factory stereo in your car?   the factory stereos are known to crap out and will kill a battery in a couple of days.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, Sydney said:

are you sure its your alternator that is killing you battery?    do you have a factory stereo in your car?   the factory stereos are known to crap out and will kill a battery in a couple of days.   

Yes, I have a constant humming noise coming from the alternator with the engine off. It has a pretty big draw and it goes away once the lead to the alternator from the battery is removed. I also recently replaced my factory radio, but wasn't related to a battery draw issue! Just curious if anyone recommends a certain alternator for a diesel smart

Edited by DTA

I got that one from RockAuto. 6 weeks and no issues. Has a 1 year warranty.

I kept the old one and ordered a rebuild kit from Ebay. New bearings, brushes and sliprings. Pretty straight forward to put in.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Smart42 said:

I kept the old one and ordered a rebuild kit from Ebay. New bearings, brushes and sliprings. Pretty straight forward to put in.

Okay, thanks for the info! Do you have a link to the rebuild kit? 

8 hours ago, Smart42 said:

I used to be in the same mind set as this, rebuild everything...but.....now a days with things like starters and alternators being so cheap from our favorite country,china......imho it's hardly worth it risking a shorted winding or snapped stud when rebuilding either of these items.  I have two old alts sitting here, I just can't get my head around throwing them out ....lol.   BUT, both my cars have brand new alts and starters on them, simply because of the above and the fact they are so damned hard to get at to want me to do it again, if something simple goes wrong with the rebuild.    Just my bent 5 cents worth.....sorry.   To each their own.  Yes if funds are tight then this changes everything I expect.....BUT.....?