TorqueJunkie

Differences 450 and 451

7 posts in this topic

I have a project in mind, where I may have to swap 451 engine in to 450 body. I don't have the 451 on hand yet, so wanted to ask what are the differences between 450 and 451 in terms of body/frame. I know the engine and accompanying things are different, however how about other mechanical internals? Like brakes, suspension, chassis frame? Are the four mounting points in the same place, or different?

The 451 is larger in most respects but shares brake parts.  You would have to fit the 451 drive train to the 450 engine cradle.

25 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

The 451 is larger in most respects but shares brake parts.  You would have to fit the 451 drive train to the 450 engine cradle.

Could you simply use the 450 half shafts to reduce the 451 mechanical width, or is the actual shaft thickness different? Spline count different?  Then it also comes down to electronics, do both power plants have the identical readings for all of the sensors etc..?

Would the computers find irregularities etc etc

Posted (edited) · Report post

I expect the OP will have to perform a great deal of customizing.  Not knowing what the ultimate end goal of this potential project is, if it was me I would go looking for a BRABUS 450 drivetrain, rebuild it, and install that.

Edited by Huronlad
1 person likes this

Sorry about being cryptic. I am actually considering fitting a full set of 451 electric drive in to roadster's body, including all wiring, instrument cluster etc. 

To my understanding ED is mechanically identical to 451, and roadster is identical to 450.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TorqueJunkie said:

Sorry about being cryptic. I am actually considering fitting a full set of 451 electric drive in to roadster's body, including all wiring, instrument cluster etc. 

To my understanding ED is mechanically identical to 451, and roadster is identical to 450.

LOVE it!!

A man after my own heart, a true modder.

Please make sure you do a complete build series so we can follow along.  Can't wait to see and hear about this project!