14 posts in this topic

Hi there. So I bought a 2009 fortwo about 2.5 years ago now. The first 3/4 of the year it sat out front due to money issues but started to do little things to it here and there. So started with a cold air intake, chipped it, new stereo and speakers (adding 2 more in the rear), put in a new muffler, new Bilstein B14 suspension kit installed, had it wrapped with Averys satin rising sun, then after 6 months decided I was going to install a wide body kit AFTER I put the wrap on. Better planning? Maybe.....but the wrap job was not the greatest and could see a handful of issues after less than a year, so maybe blessing in disguise? oh....I also decided that after spending a good amount on the body kit that I would do it myself 😵‍💫😵 (never done anything close to this but hey you live once) 

 

oh also my motor went on me so after investing so much into this I basically so no other choice but to keep going. So about $7000 later I now have a 2012 motor in my 2009. 

 

So now I have my new 17" rims and tires waiting to be put on once the kit is finished with spacers/bolt change to 5x112 and am now getting close to the end here. so my question which I hope someone can help me out is...

 

When you remove the wheel well cover on the front tires you expose this lip on the inside from the top towards the cab (farthest away from the bumper) my tire looks like it may rub on this which could slice open my tire so is there anyone that has maybe done some modification to the wheel well to be able to instal 17" tires?  I have seen it done but not sure what they did if anything to make this issue disappear??? 
 

I hope this made sense. Wish I joined this smart train a long time ago as I love driving my ride around. I have pics of my car and will update when I have the body kit all done also 

B2D9F9B2-9B27-4CA3-8BA0-05EA299590DF.jpeg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the club and site.....beautiful car ....Damn!

OK I'll be the smart ass in the crowd and suggest a big hammer.....???...No...?    lol

 

The next question is, any internals done to the engine..?  Always great to hear other throwing cash at a crazy project to make it your own.

 

Again welcome.    Keep the pics coming...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far just a cold air intake a new exhaust. Oh wait I forgot my original motor went and lost power and would take two tries to start up so had a newer engine put in unfortunately. But am wanting to do a turbo and if the engine does anything else funky my cousin suggested forging the internals of the engine. Which if bored could possibly just do.  
 

this isn't internal but getting the bilstein b14 suspension kit did wonders for my car. Don't get thrown around much when on the freeway now lol

953AB210-C596-485F-B772-F99B3AFFB1BE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm....seeing as you are widening the rear so far , ever thought of a Toyota Echo power plant?  I had a 2005 Echo and put 560 K on it and it screamed when you allowed it to.  Can't imagine what a Smart would be like with that in it....but then again the Echo was a very light car also.  Bulletproof engine too boot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jt080883  I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners of my car.  I did not need wheel spacers, but used them to get a more flush appearance that I was after.  On front, I have 20mm Eibach spacers and on rear 30mm Eibach spacers.  Never any rubbing issues on front or rear before or after spacers.  I am running stock size rear US spec Brabus tires.  Hankook 215/35-17 all around.  Hope this may be of some help.  Welcome to the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-07-25 at 6:41 AM, Willys said:

Hmmm....seeing as you are widening the rear so far , ever thought of a Toyota Echo power plant?  I had a 2005 Echo and put 560 K on it and it screamed when you allowed it to.  Can't imagine what a Smart would be like with that in it....but then again the Echo was a very light car also.  Bulletproof engine too boot.

 

So this echo power plant..... what is this you speak of? Is thst the engine from the echo? 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-07-26 at 1:17 PM, 1983JZR3W said:

@Jt080883  I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners of my car.  I did not need wheel spacers, but used them to get a more flush appearance that I was after.  On front, I have 20mm Eibach spacers and on rear 30mm Eibach spacers.  Never any rubbing issues on front or rear before or after spacers.  I am running stock size rear US spec Brabus tires.  Hankook 215/35-17 all around.  Hope this may be of some help.  Welcome to the forum.

I wonder if the wheel wells are larger on yours then mine because there is this lip (more of a welding of two parts of the frame) on the back side of the front wells that my tires are rubbing on as my body panels dont show signs of any rubbing. I will take a pic in a bit when i go to do more sanding of the panels.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jt080883 said:

So this echo power plant..... what is this you speak of? Is thst the engine from the echo? 

Yes a 2005 Toyota Echo, 5 speed......I bet it would go like stink in a smart conversion....Not sure what a echo weighs compared to a smart450 but it was fast enough in the Echo....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jt080883 said:

I wonder if the wheel wells are larger on yours then mine because there is this lip (more of a welding of two parts of the frame) on the back side of the front wells that my tires are rubbing on as my body panels dont show signs of any rubbing. I will take a pic in a bit when i go to do more sanding of the panels.

Your tires may be taller than mine and that is causing the rubbing.  Do you know the overall diameter of your new tires?

 

 

@Jt080883  I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners of my car.  I did not need wheel spacers, but used them to get a more flush appearance that I was after.  On front, I have 20mm Eibach spacers and on rear 30mm Eibach spacers.  Never any rubbing issues on front or rear before or after spacers.  I am running stock size rear US spec Brabus tires.  Hankook 215/35-17 all around.  Hope this may be of some help.  Welcome to the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 2021-08-10 at 6:44 AM, Willys said:

Yes a 2005 Toyota Echo, 5 speed......I bet it would go like stink in a smart conversion....Not sure what a echo weighs compared to a smart450 but it was fast enough in the Echo....

Ok so "note to self" if my engine dies on me a second time rather then getting another I will look into replacing it with an 2005 Toyota echo 5 speed

Edited by Jt080883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-08-10 at 5:35 PM, 1983JZR3W said:

Your tires may be taller than mine and that is causing the rubbing.  Do you know the overall diameter of your new tires?

 

 

@Jt080883  I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners of my car.  I did not need wheel spacers, but used them to get a more flush appearance that I was after.  On front, I have 20mm Eibach spacers and on rear 30mm Eibach spacers.  Never any rubbing issues on front or rear before or after spacers.  I am running stock size rear US spec Brabus tires.  Hankook 215/35-17 all around.  Hope this may be of some help.  Welcome to 

On 2021-08-10 at 5:35 PM, 1983JZR3W said:

Your tires may be taller than mine and that is causing the rubbing.  Do you know the overall diameter of your new tires?

 

 

@Jt080883  I have 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners of my car.  I did not need wheel spacers, but used them to get a more flush appearance that I was after.  On front, I have 20mm Eibach spacers and on rear 30mm Eibach spacers.  Never any rubbing issues on front or rear before or after spacers.  I am running stock size rear US spec Brabus tires.  Hankook 215/35-17 all around.  Hope this may be of some help.  Welcome to the forum.

I will get the specs for you as I don't recall off the top of my head 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an update of my body panels! 
 

so this is them finally being attached to my car. Now I'm in the looooo g process of filling in holes smoothing everything out but will give you the end result when finished but for now enjoy these. 

180085EB-402E-4E4D-B736-ADBED5BA991C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so the other pics are apparently too large.....so suspense is fun 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jt080883 said:

Ok so the other pics are apparently too large.....so suspense is fun 

Welcome to the re-sizing my pics game show...lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

    Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More