Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Can you see the problem/solution?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK, finally the clever-end is installed and I have the front clip off now. I am going after all relay modifications to be done all at once. BUT....after cleaning up the oil/rustproofing etc etc..I have found a few broken wires....Hmmm...?   I also found a wire cut from the cockpit area and am curious IF it should be connected...thoughts???  The joined white wire, originally from the brown cut wire, goes off into the wiring harness and is wrapped in official type tape not electrical tape, more like a black cloth type tape. Should this cut brown wire be out in the open and what was it for?
I also have a few broken wires from the headlights etc that have vibrated and snapped. Poor previous soldering.

All and any help is greatly appreciated.

This is the best in focus pic I could get my new phone to take, just wouldn't focus on the brown wire I was after no matter what I did.

Thanks.

35UlvHbl.jpg

Edited by Willys

That might have been part of the Halifax/Transport Canada wiring mod?

I believe Glenn is right on this one. Ive seen this on other wire harnesses it's just a short cut in wiring and it would take too much time to clean up or rewire it properly for them. Not to worry unless you are changing something on the safety island. I think the white runs to the e-box. It's been a while. Clean and trim the brown and if you have meter test it, might a ground. on your headlights I would not solder the connectors I would crimp them if you can because a solder joint is hard and were it meets the wire it is flexible and that is where it will brake under vibration. 

Edited by Wild!
more info
1 person likes this

Thanks guys....I personally like the crimp shrink tube type connectors, with a second layer of shrink tubing over the crimp.  Between the two it makes a strong solid connection compared to a simple soldered wire with shrink tubing covering it.  To each their own, there is many ways to get to the same place....personal choice.

Again thanks for the help.

i would be curious where the white wire goes?   and what was the reason for MB to change it.    

i will have to check my smart wiring diagrams and get back to you.     (just joking...  i wish there were diagrams)

but yes,  I also agree with Glenn.   its definitely a MB alteration.   

Just a thought.  Since the signals got moved from the headlights down to the grill the wire could be the extension to reach the grill.  I know they did a hack job on the rear lights to remove all possibility of reactivating the rear fog marker light.

Alan

My next issue is the cock-pit I had in the car originally only had two buttons and the one I want in there now has 4...and that means a different connector....the old style has a simple open mouthed thing that sides over the circuit board and the new one has a proper connector where it pugs into. So, I'm thinking I can simply cut and splice the wires from one plug to another as long as the wiring colours are the same.
Hmmmm.....?

I have another wiring harness to get the plug I require....it's from the car that I'm taking all these items from.  I have found that many of the wires I need for things are already built in to the main wiring harness of the original car that has very few options. They simply didn't add the wiring for the options to plug into the main wiring harness.

So fingers crossed.....

which of the two are you adding ? harness is the same year?

Edited by Wild!

Heated seats are the two that the original doesn't have.   Yes same year cars....

I did install the heated seats simply because they are stiffer due to the heat element....I personally do not like the feel of heated seats, but ....maybe they will grow on me..?

Edited by Willys

9 hours ago, Henry said:

Just a thought.  Since the signals got moved from the headlights down to the grill the wire could be the extension to reach the grill.  I know they did a hack job on the rear lights to remove all possibility of reactivating the rear fog marker light.

Alan

Easily fixed by buying new bulb holders from Europe - cheap! Both my Cabriolets had/have two taillights on each side as per Europe.

You will be good to go to just change the connector and match the wires. Almost forgot do you have the 2 black relays in behind the sam and on the sam there should be a 25 amp fuse. 

Edited by Wild!
1 person likes this

OK, traced that white wire....it goes directly to the smaller of the two connections for the silver box that transport Canada installed.  I took some pics but I have to recharge my phone first before posting them up. sorry.
Hmmm...I will now trace the wire they cut to see where it leads to to wonder why they cut it out...?
The other issue is, the new connection has 12 wires going to it and the old one has 10.....obviously the wires don't match locations seeing as they are different connections but the colours are the same minus two.  So fingers crossed and I'm going to simply rewire the connections and see what happens.  I may also trace out the two extra wires to see where they go also?

I was asked to trace all wires for the entire wiring harness and catalog them all....hmmmm....?   Not sure I have time or the patience for that torture....lol.   But someone should do it that's for sure....lol.  Any takers....?   lol

Here are the photos of the connectors and the white/brown wire going into the smaller of the two connectors for the E-Box or whatever we call it.....You can see it goes into the top left corner of this connector.

I have also traced the white wire to it's destination....it travels to the very rear of the car/wiring harness to the area of the trunk lid lock area......so it could be related to the original fog light or similar which we don't don't use over here in Canada.  It doesn't split off anywhere else from what I can gather.   Hope this helps....maybe we can re-use it to maybe do what it was intended for...? Simply add a switch to power it...?

20210802_170525.jpg

20210802_170535.jpg

Edited by Willys

Willys,  Forgot to ask are the harnesses both from a coupe. Or is one a coupe harness and one a cabriolet . If so the difference is the heated window. 

Edited by Wild!
less info

11 hours ago, Nigel said:

They will be both coupes.  He hasn’t had a cabriolet yet.

And NEVER will....the SUN hates me...lol

Us red heads can't handle the sun....lol.