Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Back up camera...I need one....

13 posts in this topic

OK, I'll start with...I now have a migrain and can't focus on the screen, so this is the easiest way I can think of to figure this out, maybe.

I need one of these kits as the Clever-End is very restrictive of what you can see when backing up. Also my neck doesn't twist enough to easily see things.  I'm old and broken..it seems.

I was hoping to not spend over $100 and I want a monitor not a mirror version. One that attaches to the license plate. One that is wired not remote, just because the more elaborate the more expensive and possibly easier to break?  As wide of an angle as possible.  A monitor that isn't jumbo screen sized for the cramped space of the Smart...?

OK, sorry can't focus on key board now so must   stop here...sorry...
Any and all help would be helpful...thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

plenty on amazon and ali express

i really like the mirror ones....i just installed one in my saturn it records full frontal and switches to rear when you put it in reverse...i wired directly to the overhead console garage door opener thing to keep the accessory plug open for optional things like gps

my best advice for monitor style one is to get the biggest screen possible in your price range and look for the wide angle...some of them dont have a wide range of view

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I was trying to steer away from large screens if possible simply because of space etc.......and the rear view mirror versions take up too much windshield real-estate  for my liking also......augh....lol.   I think I have settled on one but damn there are so many to choose from and read reviews on so as not to buy a dud!  So fingers crossed the one I do order will work well enough.  I have gone with a smaller screen and also for a dash cam that has a second camera for the reverse option and then shows it when rev is selected. But it records both forwards and backwards at the same time.  Also I have decided to mount the rear camera inside not outside simply to keep it clean.

Willys try eBay saw one for 45.00 canadian  have a picture but the file is to big to post. shot me your email and i will send it over.

Edited by Wild!
more info

18 hours ago, Willys said:

I was trying to steer away from large screens if possible simply because of space etc.......and the rear view mirror versions take up too much windshield real-estate  for my liking also......augh....lol.   I think I have settled on one but damn there are so many to choose from and read reviews on so as not to buy a dud!  So fingers crossed the one I do order will work well enough.  I have gone with a smaller screen and also for a dash cam that has a second camera for the reverse option and then shows it when rev is selected. But it records both forwards and backwards at the same time.  Also I have decided to mount the rear camera inside not outside simply to keep it clean.

the one i use in my truck sounds like what you just described...its not available from same seller but it was just $38 in 2019

works just fine i never had trouble with it

you can mount it just behind the mirror so most of the mount is hidden and doesnt take up much space

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07W5LNQ55

mounting it inside is ok but it doesnt work very well at night ...the ir reflects too much off the glass

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

23 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

the one i use in my truck sounds like what you just described...its not available from same seller but it was just $38 in 2019

works just fine i never had trouble with it

you can mount it just behind the mirror so most of the mount is hidden and doesnt take up much space

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07W5LNQ55

mounting the rear one  inside is ok but it doesnt work very well at night ...the ir/leds reflects too much off the glass

Edited by LooseLugNuts

42 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

oops...thought it was an edit button but apparently it was a quote button

LOL.....

do you really think the mirror style one blocks too much windshield?...ive just recently started using mine (like just this week) and am loving it....

it seems to have a sleep mode that records even at night when motion happens front or rear ...but doesnt kill my battery because the camera appears to be off ..i wired it into constant power ...it seems to record but stays in sleep mode ...kind of stealthy...i hope i never need that feature but its nice to know i might capture video of thieves in the yard at a different angle than the eaves cameras

1 person likes this

I don't like the way the small mirror we have now seems to hang down low in the windshield field of view, so I am picturing a larger mirror making this even harder to see things beyond it when looking for things ahead of you, usually when in a busy intersection etc.....yes nit picky but.....I'd hate to purchase one and regret it.  I have even thought about shortening the stock mirror stalk to lift it towards the roof a bit..?...lol.  
I have enough camera's around our house and property that getting good images if someone were to break into or damage anything isn't an issue...lol. But I like the idea of a camera that catches someone who damages your vehicle at a shopping centre or something and drives away. But I have heard this feature if left on could flatten your battery...?
The main reason is so I do not nearly run down another old person when backing out of a parking space at Canadian Tire like I did a few years back...!   It was CLOSE...he was only 2 feet away from being run down by me not seeing him as he shuffled behind me! I just caught him in my peripheral vision somehow.....through a mirror I think.....you know the last check as you start already moving!  AUGH....!  

The last one I used I hooked it up as a permanent camera so I could watch people tail gating me.....which was a huge problem at night.....it lit up the inside of the car because of their headlights shining into the camera....lol.  So this time it's getting hooked up simply as a reversing camera only.  I also will try and see if I can either shield the IR lights of the camera with some sort of tape etc so they don't reflect back at night. OR hinder the camera's capabilities to see.  IF not then it'll be mounted outside.

Thanks for all the input.

Yes and ended up installing it just below and behind the mirror as you did I think....haven't used it yet but it seems OK....if i remember right it does both forward and reverse and switches when you use reverse light.  It was a reasonable price also, just couldn't spring for the rediculously priced one...lol.