Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

OK, who's the "Over-Boost GURU"...Hmmm...?

10 posts in this topic

Yep, I'm finally creating a non settling down over boost if i allow it or don't catch it as I'm driving.....usually keeping up with traffic after a light or similar, excelerating. Not while cruising.  I have lubed and played with my wastegate arm and it's moving fine. So it's not the culprit so to speak "not moving".  Maybe moving too much? I don't know.  The adjuster hasn't budged a mm.  !  Nice and tight. The hose leading to the waste gate is oily but no holes in it and seems tight on the connections...? I will be looking far more carefully at it tomorrow. Just to rule it out as an air leak?

OK, what am I missing and how does this thing actually work...?  As the engine creates vacuum it pulls the waste gate open or pulls the rod to move the butterfly? I know almost zero about turbo's so this is my next learning curve.  I have 3 used exhaust manifolds here at my finger tips so can play around with one if need be...? 
Next question, can the waste gate contraption be removed and replaced easily enough or does it need specific set up?  What is the procedure to do this?  Yes I'm asking this before looking anything up as I am hoping someone will help direct me in the correct way before I mess with it and screw it up....lol.

Any and all help will be appreciated as usual...thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Willys said:

Yep, I'm finally creating a non settling down over boost if i allow it or don't catch it as I'm driving.....usually keeping up with traffic after a light or similar, excelerating. Not while cruising.  I have lubed and played with my wastegate arm and it's moving fine. So it's not the culprit so to speak "not moving".  Maybe moving too much? I don't know.  The adjuster hasn't budged a mm.  !  Nice and tight. The hose leading to the waste gate is oily but no holes in it and seems tight on the connections...? I will be looking far more carefully at it tomorrow. Just to rule it out as an air leak?

OK, what am I missing and how does this thing actually work...?  As the engine creates vacuum it pulls the waste gate open or pulls the rod to move the butterfly? I know almost zero about turbo's so this is my next learning curve.  I have 3 used exhaust manifolds here at my finger tips so can play around with one if need be...? 
Next question, can the waste gate contraption be removed and replaced easily enough or does it need specific set up?  What is the procedure to do this?  Yes I'm asking this before looking anything up as I am hoping someone will help direct me in the correct way before I mess with it and screw it up....lol.

Any and all help will be appreciated as usual...thanks.

think pressure,,,not vacuum 

also think "dump valve" or "bypass"......instead of "butterfly"

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Hmmm...?  I have many times moved the rod from one limit to the opposite end of it's travel and even pushed against it to make sure it travels all the way.  Not too hard but pressure to see if it would go further...?
The next question is, IF it is damaged can you replace just the wastegate actuator and where do you locate the rod at...?  I see some careful measuring in tomorrow's examination.

Thanks LLN's.....will read tomorrow.

Has anyone replaced the wastegate actuator...?

OK, spent an massive amount of time trying to soak in all of history's knowledge on Turbo's and wastegates....all of what 20 minutes...lol.   And now an expert on the subject.....lol.
So....I'm more than incorrect when I ask..or state....the problem is...the pressure behind the wastegate isn't able to open the valve to release the limit the computer demands it wants before sending the car into limp mode...? So, am I correct in thinking that the spring is getting siezed in it's container or body and isn't allowing the movement, OR is the diaphram leaking slightly which in turn isn't developing enough pressure to move said spring to release pressure also?  So....I think it's going to come down to dicecting a wastegate to see how ours works and exactly what's inside it.  The next thought is, do I attack another used one which looks in bad shape externally or go after this one on the car now? The only thing stopping me going after the one on the car is.....how does one set up a wastegate initially...?  I guess that'll be another video....to watch as soon as I find it...lol.  IF it is easy then obviously that will be the way to go and not to destroy a possibly working unit just to be curious...lol.
Back in a few, searching now for set up of a wastegate.

Thanks again for those videos LLN...excellent.

Has anyone replaced the wastegate actuator...?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here is the simplest wastegate preloading video....keep it simple stupid...lol

Another using our style of rod....

Edited by Willys

im sure ive seen wastegate actuators for cdi smarts on aliexpress

didnt change mine but i definitely remember driving around with no rear bumper so i could adjust the actuator rod after changing the turbo center piece

and i definitely remember adjusting the opposite way that i expected ...(i was also learning as it was my first experience with a turbo)

1 person likes this

Well, that wasn't rocket science after all....lol

I simply removed the actuator and examined it well along with rubber hose and it's connections, all seemed ok, but the body of actuator is rusted well. Rod was almost perfect, like new for some strange reason?  I pulled on it to see what sort of pressure was required to move it, and it was a good amount considering. I was thinking that the rod had an opening similar to the clutch actuator and dirt and debris would gum it up but no, it has a nice rubber seal to stop any of that. Next was to inspect the turbo, no free-play at all, which was very surprising. I was expecting it to be wobbly considering  the life it had before me. Two younger people owned it and from what I saw of the guy I bought it from beat it well.
Sorry back to the actuator and the waste gate lever. The lever was easily free moving but it did get sort of stuck at each end of the travel. Like it was stuck to gum or something. So after 20 plus minutes sending it from end to end and soaking it in penetrating fluid it stopped sticking and felt like new. You could hear the wastegate clanging asit hit the stops. So reinstalled the actuator, set it up with slight pressure on the rod, maybe 1/2 a turn and tightened it down. 

Time for the first test run.....DAMN, what a difference...!  Why, I do not know why? But it has pick up now when you beat the stuffing out of it, wow!   Went all the way up past 4000 RPMs once or twice to see if it would limp out....nope.!!!  I was surprised to see 15.9 pounds of boost on the first try to set it up. So I'm OK with that. Time will tell if it requires another peek at it.

Seriously why would it gain power from simply doing what I did..?   OR is it seat of the pants power wishing it to be faster?  lol  Probably is...lol

Any way that's it, easy simple job once you understand what it is you're playing with. No broken bolts, nothing...amazing!   I did have to drive past 3 cops sitting on our street without a rear-end...lol.  They didn't give 2 shits I'm sure...lol