Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simon28

Intercooler fan delete winter time

6 posts in this topic

Quick question

My IC fan assembly (fan motor+shroud) is shaking a lot while idleling. Make an annoying noise. When I touch the fan, the noise goes away

Since I don't have EGR valve, so no hot exhaust gas going back into the intake, can I remove the IC fan assembly during winter time?

Thanks

Simon

mine would squeal once in a while ...so i drilled a small hole right at the center where the rear shaft bushing is and occasionally gave it a small spray of oil 

just a suggestion that might fix your noise issue for summertime if your noise is due to a bad bushing

The noise is not coming from the fan itself, its the fan assebly (fan+shroud) that shake and rattle against the IC. Now everything is removed, no more rattling noise.. lol

I have rebuilt the electric motor this summer. Clean the brushs and re-lube the ball type bearing at both end. Tig welded the motor cap to the motor metal body. Fan is now working great. 

I take note of your idea. Drilling a small hole in the motor, It's a brilliant idea

Thanks for your reply

1 person likes this

We had a discussion about this a few years back. Disabling the fan and blocking off the inter cooler in the Canadian winter will warm up the engine and heater faster.

OR ....you can simply block off 3/4's of the front radiator....simple and it works.  Just remember to remove it in the spring.   The biggest issue in our winters is ripping off the plastic inter cooler plastic scoop if you run into deep snow possibly...?   It is the lowest thing hanging down...?