Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smart42

Brand New OM660 crate engines

21 posts in this topic

I found this ad on a Dutch trading site. This guy has a bunch of BRAND NEW complete OM660 engines for sale. These are not bare long blocks; they come with injectors, high pressure pump, exhaust, turbo, alternator etc. He is asking +/- $1400 (1000 Euro) per block. I have seen posts here on complete rebuilds of this engine, but I would guess that even with shipping included, $1400 for a brand new one is a better deal. Anybody interested in helping me import them in to Canada?

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/auto-onderdelen/motor-en-toebehoren/m1768285015-mercedes-om-660-800cdi-diesel-motorblokken

1 person likes this

That price is a steal of a deal imho seeing as how much it includes.  The question is, how many engines can you sell and install and still make it worth your money and time?  I would have bought one for sure before doing all the same work on my engine at that price!   But how many owners will do the work themselves?  That is what you need to find out somehow...imho.?

I contacted the guy and turns out I know him. He used them to build the Track T-800 CDI motorbikes. Slow salesstricter emission norms and electric bikes killed that business. These are left overs. He does have other ECUs for them for those wanting to use them for other applications. 
Question is how much it would be to ship them to Canada? There is 4 on a pallet weighing +\- 450kg 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't know, I guess it's an afternoon doing shipping searches from point A to point B....?
IF it were from China I have an "in" from there but even their shipping rates have tripled in the last year!  So god knows how much normal rates are now a days!!...?

The thought of other ECU's is interesting though...lol.   Wouldn't it be nice to get rid of all the other crap from our cars and just allow the engine to run on it's own......I wonder what sor of fuel economy or power it would produce if it could be separated from the car's electronics..?    Maybe I should go back to bed.....lol.

Edited by Willys

Four of these engines should weigh at most 250 kg, plus the pallet weight.  I'd potentially be interested at 1000 EUR or a bit more, but the shipping will be a killer.

Are all OM660 engines the same? A quick search shows Smart used 3 versions. Do all of them drop straight in? These were built in late 2007.

I will try to get some shipping quotes. 

Got a quote for shipping 1 pallet with 4 engines to Vancouver. €1500 Euro, roughly $2100. This puts the price per engine to +\- $2000 per engine plus possible import fees and taxes.

they do look slightly different than my 2005s but i cant pinpoint what exactly ....other than the oil filter housing

1 person likes this

Not only fit but be compatible electronically ...?  That is the question?    Price is climbing fast also...?  But if you can't do the mechanical work of a rebuild then still possible maybe...?

Got a reply, he found an option to get them shipped to Kelowna, BC for 172 Euro a piece, roughly $240. Only catch is I would have to import all 25 he has. For that money it would be is good deal as long as they fit our cars. They do come with a full electrical harness, but I do not know how I can figure out if this fits the 450, 451, both or neither??

If the engine ran solely alone and separate from car, then it's a matter of removing all other computer effected items and go old school, switches and manual everything....no ABS, air bags...I don't know what would or how to make them work without the computer not in the picture.....NOT, that I want them any way!....I'd love to return to a 60's vintage vehicle electrically speaking as it pertains to all the crap the computers control now a days!  That is if they run without any other input from the car's computers. You would simply install a fuse panel and go from that like the good old days...lol.

Yes I know our lives depends upon air bags but if there is a way to make those work without it requiring all the rest of the crap I'm in.

The problem for me is I have a completely rebuilt engine  at the moment, so having a second brand new engine is redundant but the electronics to separate the engine from the computers interests me greatly!  So, IF these engines are compatible with our electrical system and the electrical system isn't required to work in our cars I'd be very interested in seeing if I can get it to work in my car and remove what's in it now.  The biggest issue would be fuel economy numbers and possible future testing requiring an OBDII plug...lol.  
All very interesting thoughts....one another thought rabbit hole.....would this mean you could install this diesel engine into a gas powered car and have the best of both worlds? better engine, imho, and then a more modern car with it's perks so to speak?  Hmmm.....?????
How many does this guy have in total from the pictures he could have a dozen or so...????  

Like I said, he has 25 and the $240 shipping per engine is based CE on taking them all.

The 451 engines all had a diesel particulate filter so the harness will be different for sure.  Seems risky.

1 person likes this

If I remember correctly, big if, The newer engines had higher fuel pressure and a different injector that allowed more power out of the little diesel.  

Alan

9 hours ago, Henry said:

If I remember correctly, big if, The newer engines had higher fuel pressure and a different injector that allowed more power out of the little diesel.  

Alan

Hmmmm....?
IF this is the case....can we swap out these items into our engines and get the added benefit?  OR.....will the nasty little computer require a talking to also...?   I expect so.....
Then comes into the mix, poorer fuel numbers.......something I just can't get past....lol.

I contacted Smart: they cannot find this engine number in their system and as a result suspect they are not direct compatible. The block itself is the same, but with no guarantees that the electrical part will play nice with our SAM makes this a big unknown.

IMHO, all you get for your money here is a freshly rebuilt block and head, the rest we must transfer from our engine to this to make it work. Which as you say puts a massive question mark on this deal....that is why they haven't already sold like hot cakes, imho.
I will say even if this is workable, the price might be compatible with the machine work and possibly the new pistons rings etc etc required to rebuild your own engines, maybe?  I have rebuilt my own engine and have more tied up in it for sure, but I also did all the work.....and every moving part was replaced with new besides the block, head crank cam and connecting rods. Everything else including sensors etc were replaced.  At the time I got the last available pistons and rings anywhere world wide.....that is how I found SW-SMART.

So, if you want to do basically what I did without the work, this still could be a deal, but.....adding the labour to do the work puts it above what I would feel comfortable spending on a questionable what if....situation.  Just my bent nickel's worth, sorry.