Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LooseLugNuts

any welders here?

14 posts in this topic

how in the world does this work?

ive been looking for a cheap straight head cutting torch for a while now and all i see is severely overpriced industrial quality ones...and these cheapo chinesium ones,,,,but the cheapo chinesium ones dont seem to have levers for the oxygen cutting....cant find any videos of anyone using one either..do they just thumb the knob or what?

at first i thought maybe they were for cnc type machines and the oxygen was controlled remotely but then why the heck would they have holding handles?

anyone familiar with these?

in case youre wondering i want it for easy fast catalytic removals (i do a lot of salvaging/scrapping in the summer)...and i find a lot of situations where a 180 head would be so much better than a 90 degree

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33009769975.html

ill post a picture too in case the link dies 

they have normal 90 degree type too but again without oxygen blast lever....

Stainless steel straight head oxygen acetylene injector cutting torch handle gas cutting gun_Welding Torches_ - AliExpress.png

Gas Cutting Torch 10 100mm Metal Cutter Oxygen Propane Acetylene Liquified Nature Gas G01 30 Cutting Gun_Welding Torches_ - AliExpress.png

Stainless steel straight head oxygen acetylene injector cutting torch handle gas cutting gun_Welding Torches_ - AliExpress (1).png

imho, it looks to me like this is missing a handle that you squeeze to allow the knob to be pulled out to allow the air to be released....as normal...?   No...?
The handle would rock against the fitting to pull pin to release air pressure.  imho.    I'd find a professional version and see how theirs works and compare..?

I have always used a 90 head,never seen a straight head...interesting.

Remember, you always get what you pay for. Unless the innerds can be swapped out for good quality seals etc etc..?

its like $40...only needs to work a few times to pay for itself ...im not paying 500 to 1000 for a 4 foot victor beast ..i need a cheap small low quality one

anyone ever seen/used one that doesnt use a lever?

Maybe in Chinastan welders know how to use these things by turning the knob unlike the units we use here with a lever?  I don't know..? But imho that isn't a push button byt the looks of how it's made. It's either a pull pin or simply the end of the adjusting screw cap, operated by turning it over pulling it out or pushing it in..?

Besides at $40 who cares, it's dirt cheap and maybe it'll work...?
Any youtube video's of welders using cutting torches in Chinastan..?

Think of it as a cheap multimeter, good for as long as it lasts if only used for simple once in a while testing or cutting...lol.  It's not a Fluke.....lol.....sorry couldn't resist the jab....seeing as I'm now spending big on something i rarely use but need  something accurate and reliable.  lol

I have spent the last 30 minutes searching for this and how it works or seeing if there is a video with someone  using one....nothing they all have handles...even in 3rd world countries, handles of all sorts but handles...????

Edited by Willys

When there is no lever it mean you need to control Oxygen with the knob. Similar to the Benzomatic brazing kit

WK5500KC | Bernzomatic

Having to play with fuel and oxidizer, I wouldn't trust a shi* from AliExpress

i think ill drop the $40 and report back in the spring when i try it out ...will probably be spring by the time it arrives anyway

9 hours ago, simon28 said:

When there is no lever it mean you need to control Oxygen with the knob. Similar to the Benzomatic brazing kit

WK5500KC | Bernzomatic

thats a simple heating torch...no cutting abilities

9 hours ago, simon28 said:

WK5500KC | Bernzomatic

check this one out....small tank with hand pump to pressurize it so you can cut with oxygen and gasoline .....lmao

flip flops are optional 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000690520011.html

finally found operating instructions on an amazon listing

How to Use:
1. Fire: First turn on the acetylene switch, then ignite, turn on the gas mixture switch, and finally turn on the high pressure oxygen to adjust the flame strength.
2. Turn off the fire: first turn off the oxygen switch, then turn off the acetylene switch.

so it appears the end control is for acetylene...

the lower index finger placed valve is for regular oxygen control like the upper valve on a victor...

and then when youre ready cut you use your thumb to open up the upper oxygen valve for the center jet that does the cutting

seems weird to use a rotary valve instead of a lever actuated valve but i suppose it works....gonna find out eventually

1 person likes this

And there we have it, one of the world's greatest mysteries solve in a day or so....excellent work...going be interesting to hear your experiences when first using it....lol

Keep us up to date..lol    I'm thinking you'll need it to thaw out something or other just to see how it works...lol

Edited by Willys

its only purpose was mentioned in the first post

cutting and/or melting off hard to reach bolts on certain catalytics when scrapping cars 

looks handy for cutting holes too with the right hole guides

just happened to catch one of my youtube subscriptions using a quality made straight tip cutter today

1 person likes this

well it arrived early feb....but i havent set it up yet....ordered 10 extra tips ...5 propane and 5 acetylene.....which were listed as a lot of 5 for the same price or less that other sellers were listing 1 for so im curious to see what actually arrives 

anyways i can here to post this weird thing i came across today and didnt want to make a new thread for it so im sticking it here

i picked up a really clean barely toro snowblower last year in a trade for some very easy work (like less than an hour labour charge)....anyway at high speed it would pop and snap and just didnt sound right enough to resell it ....

• i tried adjusting valve clearances which were surprisingly off spec (ive heard this was very common in the last years of tecumseh manufacturing these engines)...no improvement
  • i tried cleaning the very clean carb ....no improvement
  • i swapped out the very clean original carb with one of the new chinesium variety...no improvement
  • i cleaned out the good looking fuel and flushed the tank lines etc and recleaned the new chinesium carb....no improvement
  • i checked and readjusted the governor system...all good no improvement
  • i changed the good looking plug with a new spark plug ...no improvement
  • i swapped the coil with a known good one..no improvement.

so then it sat all winter ...stuck in front of a quad i was slowly repairing and then pushed to the side as i repaired other blowers

until today i finally got around to tearing into it expecting to find a loose valve seat or some other small valve damage and i think i found the problem

take a look at this odd thread repair....why in the world would someone use an insert tool to cut new thread and then cut two groves into those new threads before installing the insert?.😖

one groove appears clogged with soot but you can clearly see the second one

insertb.jpg

inserta.jpg