Willys

Multimeters, what do you know...?

13 posts in this topic

OK, guys and Gals......I have decided to semi invest in a slightly more expensive multimeter than the usual $50 unit that isn't auto range finding etc etc....besides mine isn't playing nice.

I want one that has auto range finding, does all the usual tricks but any idiot like myself can use it. Yes I called it correctly, I hate electronics period!  So the easier the better to operate.
I am willing to get into the $150  or so range and or go after a brand name unit that does what I need. I don't need it to cook me breakfast or give me a massage or talk nice to me, just do the usual things required by our mentally too complex cars...lol.

So let me have it....give me your suggestions and why....please and thank you.

I have looked at the Flute line  and typically there are way too many to choose from if you don't know which is best for my needs. Even in my price range!

My old meter is now showing readings when turned off and you squeeze the case slightly so I am thinking if it is doing that, it's probably mis-reading what I need it to do. Either way it's leaving as soon as I can figure out which unit to buy.

Thanks again....

I strongly recommend you get a Fluke. Mine is an old one that came off the back of a lorry, a Fluke 112 but has worked perfectly for all my needs. 

I agreed with Tolsen, Fluke all the way! I have a Fluke 381, best multimeter/amp clamp I've ever used by a far margin.

OK, so we have settled on a name, now it seems i need to up my price range by $50 or so....Hmmm....?  So we are now into $250 ish range.....preferably closer to this number not blown past it once again...lol.  And it better talk nice to me at this price...lol.
So, for general, mostly automotive uses and home electrics.....which model speaks to you you experts...?  I'm all ears.....and please state why.....
Thanks again....

i think mines a 77 IV or something close to that

the reason is because it was free...a buddy gave it to me so i wasnt too picky about which model it was

check marketplace or kijiji for used ones...maybe pawn shops too if you dont mind funding the methhead economy for a good deal

or ask retired friends...lots of electricians have good old crap just laying around when they retire

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Hmmm....just a tad out of my price range that's for sure...lol
I'm getting too full of specs and fewer needs for it, so may just opt for the cheaper automotive unit model 101 
I did hunt for a used one and even from pawn shops.....people know what they have and think it's still almost worth what they paid for it...lol.  Sad to say.  
I used to have connections, but got rid of all those folks many decades ago...lol.  Damn thats a very long time ago now....damn I'm seriously old now...lol.

So, I'm again back to square 1 or is that 3...?...lol

'

dare i say search "fluke" on aliexpress..

you might see some decent prices

the only electronical thingamajiggers ive can remember sourcing from aliexpress have worked just fine but they were foxwell (a scan tool and a batttery analyzer)..oh and snooper boxes .....

actually now that i think of it the kwp2000 i sent to someone here let out its smoke right away so i guess there was one dud

That was me with the kwp2000! I do thank you for your generosity, it’s the thought that counts!

My Fluke 381 was expensive, but it worth every penny. It has a detachable face so that I can hook up the meter, wiggle the harness around the truck and see what is going on. Help me hunt down intermittent wiring issues multiple times that others couldn’t find.

Most Flukes that I’ve seen also takes AAA batteries. I know it’s not a big issue, but not every one has spare 9v laying around.

Izzy

7 hours ago, stickman007 said:

but not every one has spare 9v laying around.

Izzy

I always have a couple for the smoke detectors