Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Charge Packs...? What do you know?

8 posts in this topic

OK, as the other thread says, I have been left standing as my car's battery was flat this morning.
The question is, do I limp along with a weak battery and possibly buy a good charge pack, you know the ones, the smaller versions not the heavy bulky shop type versions. The one which can be easily carried around, something smaller than a lunch box or a large flat cigar box...?  Something with a good amount of power not a half assed version. Maybe 750 and up amps....?
I'm thinking this way as I do not need  many batteries kicking around once I finally get the good car running and I feel it's reliable enough for me to trust it.  Better to have a booster pack or charge pack that i can utilize after the beater goes away.  The problem I have is that I have already hard wired in a battery in the good car with it's warmer etc and would be a real pain to get it out and back in again every time I want to work on it until it's finished. So, thus the dilema....lol.   

Who owns a charge/boost pack and is it worth owning???   Then what brand and size...?   I know we have had this discussion before buy a good amount of time has gone by so maybe what was good then isn't the better unit today?

Opinions...?

Thanks.

Willys,

I bought a NOCO Genius GB40 Boost Plus jump pack about 5 years ago. I could keep my 450 plugged in at home so there was no problem starting her in the morning to get to work. Once there, there were no plug-ins and after sitting in the -25+ cold for the day, it was hopeless to start. When required, the NOCO would start her on the first cycle after about 30 seconds. One week I had to use it every day and never had to recharge it. Since then, I've saved many motorists in parking lots with it. The photo below is from Canadian Tire. They sell it for $174.95. I also use it to power USB devices. Definitely money well spent.

NOCO-GB40-Boost-Plus-Engine-Bay-Mobile_1.jpg

1 person likes this

ive havent picked one up as i tend to always have good batteries laying around for boosting 

but i will say i have a noco charger and it has never let me down ...

Thanks, I was on the fence about the NOCO but it seems to get very good reviews....Hmmmm.....

I have one here.  Never used it and if you were closer, you could have it for free.  Will post a photo tomorrow when the light is better. (no flash on my camera)

I made the decission to buy a far larger one than required for our engines, thinking forward perhaps to a larger engine in another vehicle.  So I went with the NOCO G50 1500amp unit.   Not bad from Amazon far cheaper than anywhere else and 13 hour delivery...!!! So perhaps today it'll get tested....lol.
I have 2 other used batteries here I can play with....but I hate relying on worn out junk when it's freezing outside. So a good jump pack will solve the problem and be useful for all other vehicles I get in the future.  Fingers crossed.

1 person likes this

think this thread jinxed me

had to grab a battery today to boost both the plow truck and my suv....sure is cold out there

LOL....sorry.....I can recommend a good jump pack....lol.   No I haven't needed it yet, but it looks great....lol.   It's an insurance policy, because now i have spent the money I'll never need it...lol.   Just like the brand new snowthrower I bought before last winter season.....maybe had 3 good snow falls since....lol.  Maybe.