Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grandstyle

Pothole killed my 2006 450 Grandstyle! how do I talk to an insurance adjuster?

8 posts in this topic

What a week! I hit a pothole on monday with dad as a passenger in my 2006 grandstyle and it caused an airbag to go off, the vehicle shut off and the hazards came on.

Dad and I both got whiplash and whatever else. 

But the worst part is the insurance is going to write off the car!

How do I approach it with the adjuster?  It's a cabrio, it had a new engine put in around 140,000 km. And is currently around 230,000km.  I change the oil every 3-4000km. It purs like a kitten.

What would be a fair adjuster price. We know they're going to low ball it.  Is $7,000 out of the question? We got new tires and breaks on it in the summer.

What a shame!  Any input is appreciated in dealing with adjusters or just condolences lol.

20220109_004357.jpg

Make sure you can buy it back from the ins company and buy another....same year or 2005 car.....OR do not claim and fix it yourself....I'll bet front springs, maybe reluctor rings? Air bags are the big ticket items and usually the reason they want to scrap the car imho.  But I could be wrong?
What happens when you try and start it?  What lights up on the dash now..?
Whiplash from a pothole...? Must have been massive....I suffer from whiplash injuries now but from a massive wreck, get it checked out by a Dr. asap....but I'd be very surprised it is serious, but again I could be wrong.
Here in Ontario a pothole must be deeper than 4" for it to be considered something you can sue the city over if it caused damages to your vehicle.  Good luck claiming I bet, they will fight it until hell freezes over..?  I know a couple of people who have tried....they gave up.

IF you have any mechanical skills to turn a wrench and are willing to try, fix it yourself.  Finding the parts are easy.  Usually cheaper to find a parts car for $500 or so and simply swap them over. OR swap your good parts into the next car....That is why i say to make sure you can buy back the car from the ins. company and it should be cheap......what you have put into this car makes it worth it....unless you decide to move on from Smart cars.....sniff sniff.....

Good luck....

1 person likes this

id try to buy it back and fix it...it will be branded but that doesnt matter its just a downside for cars youre selling and might need a bodyshop to inspect its structure depending how serious the repairs are

from my experience the weakest parts for pot holes are rims and struts 

ive changed seat airbags with no problems but never had to do a driver or dash one ...the delphi150e worked good for resetting airbag module 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's forever ago but our 2005 smart cabrio, as loaded as a grandstyle minus the leather, was written off and we got $7100. That was in November 2012, just under 250K km. My suspicion now is you would have to prepare a compelling case of what a true replacement cost would be, for a similar smart grandstyle cabrio. I didn't have to do that because the first offer from the adjuster was more than fair. The consensus here at CsC was that I'd be lucky to get $3000....in 2012.

Edited by MikeT
1 person likes this

Incidentally if it is written off and you don't buy it back, the last 6 digits of the VIN would be good to have, so I can update the database.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'll get the vin tomorrow.  I'm likely going to be moving overseas soon so I'm not sure how interested I'd personally be interested in buying it back.  There are a few friends that have expressed interest.  Or if any of you are interested I can pass on whatever info I can related to its future sale.

It was one hell of a pothole.  It is known in the area now as quite a big one. I think it opened up after a big snow storm the previous week. 

1 person likes this

My first Smart Hit a boulder on the the side of the road, it actually twisted the frame.  If you have access to the car, put the top down and measure from the top corner of the windshield A pillar to the top of the opposite B pillar (the one behind the door)  Now measure the other A pillar to the opposing B pillar, if the measurements are not really close there is a good chance the frame is bent and the car will never drive right again.  A frame shop can try to twist the car back, but it didn't work for my little car.

I have to find my VIN I had a smart written off in September. Was a maroon 2006 450 CDI. I'm back in another one now. Sorry for your loss. Insurance screwed me over too. Fought and lost.