Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
450ken

Blocking EGR

5 posts in this topic

I will be pulling and cleaning my EGR to clean it can anybody tell me if you can simply block off the EGR with out installing an emulator ? Where would you get the heat resistant gaskets ? Thanks for any info.

I used a SS blocking plate (with "ears" so it can be slipped in with just loosening the bolts) at the EGR, and left the EGR plugged in.

1 person likes this

You only need an emulator if you either have a non functioning EGR or are trying to remove it from the engine compartment. If you are cleaning the EGR and reinstalling just rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and that will block the passage and keep the EGR clean.  Seems to me someone here years ago used a Canadian nickel as a blocking plate.  I think you will find the different methods pretty straight forward once you get into it. 

Nigel

1 person likes this

I found the best chemical to clean the black carbon crud out of a EGR was gasoline.....to each their own....and do as Nigel says if you do not want to remove it completely!  There is a thread here somewhere on this I'm sure, along with thousands of others....lol.   It's a busy topic.

IF you do wish to get into removing it, you also remove about 6 feet of heater hose from the engine bay which allows you to get your hands down to the starter trigger wire......ask me how I know...lol.  You can also just block the EGR off or remove it and then simply zip tie it into somewhere and plug it in, that also still fools the car into thinking it's still in the system. My beater is this way at the moment.  You must run a ground wire from engine to EGR hanging in suspension.  Then simply tape the whole thing up to stay perfectly clean....if you choose to go this route.

1 person likes this