Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mender

0702, shutting down

12 posts in this topic

Twice now I've been cruising along in sixth gear when the engine shuts down and all the warning lights on the dash come on. Coast to a stop, try to restart and the dash display flashes with a single bar in the middle display. Repeat several times over the next few minutes with no change. After about ten minutes of sitting, try again and it restarts. About two weeks pass and it does it again.

This last time I had my Autel code reader with me. Plugged it in, turned the key on to read codes and the dash went back to normal and the car started. Checked codes, 0702 transmission fault. Anyone else have this happen? I'll be checking the transmission wiring for issues but just wondering if anyone knows a specific problem area.

My guess - crankshaft position sensor. Probable thermal breakdown when the engine warms up triggering the code and shutdown. When it cools off it restarts.

1 person likes this

If we are guessing my money would be on the transmission loom <> intercooler scoop relationship getting too intimate.

1 person likes this

my guess would be problems with the motor that shifts the gears or a problem with the sensor that senses gear shift drum positions

2 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

Poor guy is gonna wish he never asked. :)

We're full of good news......lol.....

At least he'll be into a tranny reteach  just to make sure it knows where each gear is supposed to be at after figuring out what the cause was.....it's just time and money.....that'll fix anything.....lol

The more the merrier. 

I'm pretty sure it's an electrical issue and was planning on tracing harnesses for chafing. I might even take the time to hook up a boost gauge to see if there's more boost available.

16.4 psi of boost before it goes into limp mode.....ask us how we know....lol.   It happens almost every time I drive mine now...augh....just pull over and shut it down and wait for the all mighty click, then off we go again and try to keep our foot off the go pedal...lol

One way to help with over boosting is to take back bumper off and work the wastegate back and forth full lock to full lock and lube it well....mine tends to seize up after a while..?

On a 451 there is no need to stop, just off the key and on again while driving.

You should lubricate it with graphite powder if you want it to stay working.

I used this on my 450 and 451 and never had them seize again: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384525589945

1 person likes this