Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leejor

New tires in the Vancouver area

20 posts in this topic

The time has come to replace my tires on an '05 450. The last set was brought from the UK, over two trips, as a second checked bag. That was when they allowed two checked bags, that's how long ago it was. I thought some might have an idea of the best places in the greater Vancouver area to narrow a search replacements. I'm imagining that with the supply chain issues of late, there may be some difficulty. Thanks.

I just bought tires from Quattrotire    not the stock sizes but......they delivered them to my door and the price was great!
Now I didn't look for the correct size as I have a 2" lift installed and wanted the fat look. I also have wider front rims off a Roadster, not rear rims as many use with spacers.

You may find the size you need there....have a look and see....or very close to the same size...?

1 person likes this

I am in the same boat I need a full set of tires, I consider Continentals junk I have had them before they were terrible tires. Dunlop seems to be a decent tire they have a tire called Enasave that looks good in 145 65r 15 you can buy them through 1010 tires in Vancouver. I phoned all over Vancouver lucky I found 1010 tires 145 55r 15 is getting hard to find.

I bought a set of Kumho AW Solus ha31 (snowflake approved for winter) tires from Quattro tires. They had a sale on Kumho tires and some others (IIRC) 8% off and free shipping to my door. I had to go with 155/60/15 for fronts and considered going with it for all four but went with 175/55/15 for rears. I was planning to use them for winter only but only if I can get another set of rims. Ratings for the Kumho's are generally good and fairly good for the Solus ha 31/32. 

1 person likes this

I bought my last set from Eddie at flying tiger developments.  He serviced my smart at the same time.

1 person likes this

I can't really do delivery to my door, so a tire store of some sort is what I'm looking for. I may shop around on the north shore today. I have taken my car into Flying Tiger for service. Hadn't even considered them for tires, but will see what they have to offer.

Thanks.

1010 tires has no shipping charge and brings them into one of several locations to be picked up by the buyer in Vancouver.  IMO continentals are terrible tires, Vredestein may be wonderful but they may also be low end. If you want inexpensive tires Continentals win all day long, in this case you receive exactly what you paid for. Dunlop tires would be more expensive and no doubt better they have a higher speed rating H.

170 is all I've managed to get out of mine, downhill. 155 on the flat.

The Continentals on mine are not high end but were quite sticky on my April track day. More than good enough.

An H rating will give you a stiffer sidewall, which in a smart is not necessarily what most people will want... ;)

It's a Smart Car folks.....so unless you are pushing it hard around corners on stock tires, any tire will work, imho....simply drive to the road conditions....yes I'm now officially an old grumpy fart...Get OFF my lawn....lol.

IF, you want front wheel stickyness and can lose a few miles per gallon, get wider rims and tires on the front. It'll lift the back corner when you push it around on ramps.  Yep I have Roadster rims and same sized rubber all around.....very noticeable grip difference in all conditions. But I still drive like an old fart as fuel economy is key imho.  I just like the look better now...lol.

For me it is having confidence you will not get stuck on the side of the road and continentals have left me stuck on the side of the road a couple times. Vredestein quatrac are made off shore and I don't see any info on tire construction, Dunlops are U.S. made likely a good product.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just checked.....Dunlop Enasave.....1 only, Conti....0, Imperial Ecodriver....0

That's from tirelink national through my dealer hub.

Edited by fumoon

11 minutes ago, 450ken said:

1010tires said they have lots of Dunlop Enasave in stock. 

All makes sense now. That 1 tire showing in stock is for local and since Lexus doesn't use that size it doesn't show up on my screen, I guess if I actually call them then they'll tell me it's available west coast.

The Vredestein Quatracs are made in the Netherlands and are awesome tires.

We've been running various versions since around 2008 to present and will ,keep using

them for as long as we have a smart. They are also an All Condition snow flake rated tire

so are great for the type of weather we get on the West Coast.

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Will see what Flying tiger has to offer. If it was conveinient, I would comsider ordering the tires, then taking to a shop to mount. Since I have to have some work done on the car anyway, it may just be easier to have it all done at once, and not have to lug tires around.

this is how the verdestein look on my smart

IMG_0869 (1).jpg

2 people like this

Ah the old strikelines....

Hey Mike Still round and looking great.  The C1 turned over to 66,000 this spring,  Still feels and smells like a new car. Not bad for a 16 year old car.

Nice! You're 97,000 km behind me!

Edited by MikeT