Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtiqbal

Engine type of a 2010 smart fortwo 1L gas

6 posts in this topic

Hi    I am looking at a 2010 smart fortwo on sale locally. It has 1L gas engine.  According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3B2_engine that may have 3B21 engine. But that is naturally aspirated not turbo. (I think that is the best and most reliable engine)  But https://www.caranddriver.com/smart/fortwo/specs/2010/smart_fortwo_smart-fortwo-hatchback_2010 says that has a fuel injection system.  Which information is correct?   VIN # is    WMEEJ3BA1AK397607     Where can I find more details?  Thanks

As far as I know both are correct on the petrol models. Only the diesel has a turbo and a Mercedes engine.

fq101 is a good site for info about the 451.

Every gasoline powered car built for North America since about 1986 has fuel injection of some sort and most were naturally aspirated.  So Car and Driver saying the engine is fuel injected isn’t really saying anything useful.  Now if they said multiport injection or direct injection that may be helpful to some.

Nigel

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Every gasoline powered car built for North America since about 1986 has fuel injection of some sort and most were naturally aspirated.  So Car and Driver saying the engine is fuel injected isn’t really saying anything useful.  Now if they said multiport injection or direct injection that may be helpful to some.

Nigel

Not every car. Most cars have fuel injection system.  Some most reliable cars do not have fuel injection system. (e.g.  honda S2000,  some mazda mita etc.). It is always better to find a car without a turbo and fuel injection system.  That will have many less parts that can go bad. 

19 minutes ago, mtiqbal said:

Not every car. Most cars have fuel injection system.  Some most reliable cars do not have fuel injection system. (e.g.  honda S2000,  some mazda mita etc.). It is always better to find a car without a turbo and fuel injection system.  That will have many less parts that can go bad. 

You are nit picking the fact the fact that 99% of all vehicles now a days have some sort of none carburated fuel system.  I also prefer a single wire to start and operate a vehicle and get rid of all computers but those days are long gone. Now a days we are stuck with having to tune a vehicle using a computer and not by changing hard parts to gain HP or fuel economy...I miss the good old days when you had to actually get your hands dirty to make things better. Plinking keys like we do, just isn't interesting or worth the priase they get for gaining such HP etc.  IMHO.

The Mitsu 3B21 engine in the car in question has fuel injection, and is a non-turbo engine as were all North American 451s. :)