Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rompy

Oil type

11 posts in this topic

Not looking to open a can of worms here just curious what oil some of you fellas are using. I know it’s personal preference.  First oil change I used is Mobil European formula full synthetic 0w40 . Seems to work well with no oil consumption. 

1 person likes this

Yeah, that stuff for 16+ years in the Mercedes and smarts. Total km on all three to date: 750,000 km.

1 person likes this

Same, it's all I use. Zero complaints.   It is the oil that checks every box MB requires from what I have found.  It also comes on sale regularly at Canadian Tire and Wally World.

1 person likes this

Awesome thanks guys.  I did see how it meets MB Specs.  Gona do another oil change today.

The Ram 1500 diesel people switched to Rotella T6 5W40 they have problems with engine bearings failing so they changed things a bit and went from 0W40 to 5W40. I did some research and Shell T6 5W40 is actually a better oil than Mobil, Shell makes excellent products.

1 person likes this

I see a couple votes for the Rotella.  I used Rotelle T4 in my motorcycles and it seemed the only reasonably priced oil that my bike liked.  Amsoil which is a good product didn’t seem to work well in my motorcycles so a buddy of mine that used Rotella religiously in his wing turned me onto it and it’s all I used after that for many years.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought because my employer a branch of a huge company was able to buy Shell oil products significantly lower in price than others that Shell was cheap price and cheap oil, I didn't like using it. After using different oils as a Commercial Transport Mechanic looking after fleets of Heavy Trucks and dealing with different brands of oil for about 40 years I realize Shell is excellent oil. I called the 1 800 # with technical questions about their oil and if they didn't know they would put me through to an engineer that did. Apples to Apples comparing oil to oil really between the top 2 or 3 oils it's splitting hairs. IMO Shell diesel engine oil like Rottella handle soot much better than others. Kind of hard to say if T6  made from natural gas is Synthetic or Full Synthetic ??? I would say for better protection do what the 1500 Ram people did, dump using 0W-40 and use 5W-40, so you loose 1/4 mpg big deal.

Edited by 450ken
1 person likes this

This all comes down to....it's your vehicle so use what makes you feel good. In the end if you make a wrong call it'll be only you who has to pay for the mistake....To each their own, I simply buy whatever oil tics all the boxes.....and then buy it when it comes on sale for close to half price.  Oil is cheap...engine parts are not.  This coming from an old fart who has blown up two engines in my youth by not either changing it regularly or used a cheaper oil.  You can get away for a short time using any oil, just a short time....not a long time.....lol.

After building expensive engines and had great sucess with them, I choose to buy what is recommended for them....again oil is cheap, your engine's life's blood  so to speak.

1 person likes this

One thing that they found on some oil analysis is that the greater the spread on the grades the faster the viscosity break down. I only drive the cabrio during the summer so I only use 15W-40, it won't lose its viscosity as quickly as ow or 5w. The greatest loss of viscosity happens within the first 3,000 miles as shown by oil analysis. However those tests were done several years ago so it may have changed a bit with the latest oils.

1 person likes this