Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
3Sixty5Designs

2006 CDI won't stay idling. Puff of white

16 posts in this topic

Good morning.  Im new to the site, fairly new to the smart car life. I own a 2006 4two. Cdi. Diesel. It has a tune in it along with a straight pipe. It has ran great (+20000km since purchase) up until the other day. Its was smoking black really bad, more so then usual. I did my homework and figured out i could clean the egr and that worked. Ran great after that. Took it to town (about an hour away) and very clise to home on the way back it started sputtering and stalled on the side of the highway. It will start now, but just momentarily,  then starts running very very rough and stalls with in 5 seconds (approximately) then lets a white cloud of smoke out. Oils good, coolant is good, under oil fill cap is black not milky. The sensor for the crank case pressure is good. (Blew hose out) dont know what the next step is. Rwally need this car on the road. Please help 🙏

Can you hear the fuel pump running?

Welcome to the site and club....great people here always looking to try and help when they can...

White smoke is usually coolant or unburned fuel. IF you have no loss of coolant or foamy white oil I suspect it's a fueling issue. You have a multitude of possible issues when searching for a fuel issue. Start with making sure you are getting fuel. As Smart142 says listen for low pressure fuel pump, if it's not working or you can't hear it, then it's a why ?  There are known issues around that pump. Check into it's fuse. then grounding pins or the lack of a ground for the pump itself. Then take SAM down and check long plug or connector for burned up pins etc, then open up DAM and check the row of pins that are known to fail and either repair them or buy a known good used SAM and get it retaught to speak to the other 2 computers(speedo and ECU) you'll need the use of a STAR system for that.  Research SAM issues or failures and fuel pump issues. Next would be high pressure pump and the rail pressures and it's sensors. Then injectors and their nozzles. Are they plugged or simply worn out not spraying good solid spray in the correct direction.  All these items are well documented here on this site. All are repaired if you have some knowledge and some tools. 

Again welcome to the club and site.

Posted (edited) · Report post

if it ran good after cleaning the egr like you said.... id go back and recheck everything you touched when you did that.....it could be some completely new problem but ...

open or leaking egr valve will prevent an idle 

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

It ran good for 200km then all of a sudden started sputtering and died on the side of the highway. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, LooseLugNuts said:

if it ran good after cleaning the egr like you said.... id go back and recheck everything you touched when you did that.....it could be some completely new problem but ...

open or leaking egr valve will prevent an idle 

Right when I turn the key on I can here something engaging.  I assume that's the low pressure pump ??

9 hours ago, 3Sixty5Designs said:

Right when I turn the key on I can here something engaging.  I assume that's the low pressure pump ??

could also be the clutch actuator

i dont remember ever hearing my fuel pump but my clutch actuator would cycle when the key was turned on and then a little bit later id always hear the abs doing a little self check

1 hour ago, wagonwheel said:

You have a hole in the intercooler

It will run with a hole in the intercooler as many have found out....ie: rub through mod....augh....It won't run well but it will run.   I could be wrong...?

22 hours ago, 3Sixty5Designs said:

Usually the sound you hear is the clutch actuator going into N position if you stopped it in gear and proceeded to start again. Fuel pump make low level  noise for about 5 seconds after key in on position

3 hours ago, 3Sixty5Designs said:

I can't post a video here. I need somewhere to post it so I can show you guys what it's doing. I need to get this thing fixed asap

Post it on you tube or somewhere then link it to us....?   Sorry not that computer savy....lol.