Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fletchy

450 tire size substitutes

6 posts in this topic

Located in Nova Scotia and recently purchased a 2006 Smart for two (450), but we can not find the original tire sizes anywhere in Canada. Before we have to resort to selling it on , are there any substitute tire sizes that might be more common and therefore more chance of availability.

155/60r15 is the size for the fronts on the 451. I think you find they are almost identical in circumference 

There are a lot of tires listed there is this correct information or am I missing something ?

13 hours ago, 450ken said:

There are a lot of tires listed there is this correct information or am I missing something ?

You have two choices if you are running stock bicycle rims on the front imho....if you want to keep as close as stock for tire size.
145   or 155   / 60 or maybe 65-15 are the two choices.    It's up to you if you choose to go past those sizes.
You can always google a tire comparisn chart on google and slip in the stock tire size for the Smart and then compare what is acceptable to you, diameter and width wise that is.
I think the computer will allow some deviation from stock dia. from front to rear as per revolution speeds between the two before it decides it flips into limp mode.  IMHO, the 2 sizes are the best when using the skinny front rims.   Your choice.     
Then you can always go silly and use spacers and rear rims to get that "FAT" look some of us enjoy.  1" spacers get the rear rims to clear the calipers etc so you can use rear rims.  BUT, you must be OK with tires that stick out further than the body if you use same size tires as the rears on the front.  Again a personal choice.

IMHO, there are cheaper places to buy tires also.  To each their own.

i had P185/55R15 on all four corners of my 2005 coupe after ditching the skinny 450 front rims and switching to 451 rears rims for the front

they rubbed slightly on hard turns but i probably could have fixed that with some more trimming

i remember also gaining a bit of front end clearance after installing fresh 451 front coils on the 450