Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greg336

2006 Smart Fortwo Diesel Start Issues

3 posts in this topic

I'm having starting issues, when cold it starts every time. If I drive someplace, turn it off and then go back to it to leave, this is when it won't start. This is happing about 50% of the time for the restart. I can crank and crank, and never fires, finally, I had a friend suggest trying starting fluid. That helped me to get it started. My question is what caused it not to restart in the first place? This has been happening more and more lately. I'm now carrying starting fluid with me in the vehicle just in case.

Thanks for any help.

GregHome
  • VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada
  • The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo
  •  
  •  

It won't last long using starting fluid I'll bet, but you have to do what you have to do I guess...lol.
Check the crank sensor...a bitch of a job to get to and replace but a know fault. Check SAM for sold solder joints on board inside....? Check ground strap and grounding pins by taking them apart and cleaning between the eyelets. Main grounding strap for engine is also a known issue to desintergrate...How many miles or kms? Check solenoid spade connector on starter solenoid to make sure it's tight.

Money on crank position sensor...?

If the glow plugs are not disconnected they can detonate starting fluid and destroy your engine 100%. It will come down to some sort of vapour lock or electrical connection that fails with heat.Usually if the problem is fuel drain back to the fuel tank it is when the engine is off for some time and cold in the morning not hot ! Willy's advice is good and a great help to most.