Kevinpd

Electrical problems need some help!!

14 posts in this topic

I have a 2006 and every few minutes the blower motor, turn signals, and windows stop working.. when it happens I can hear the click of what sounds to be a relay. Just looking for any advice before I start tearing into it … love the little car and want it to stay but the wife won’t drive it like this. 

SAM/ground cable under the dashboard / imperfect contact .It must be ascertained on the spot.

Edited by tyc

So I took the Sam apart and all the connections looked fine I re soldered some that could’ve been bad but all in all they all looked ok … and all the ground connections I have cleaned and so far same problem..

In the motor compartment there is a grounding pin under the front left lip of the body...it has about 6 grounding loops on it...?  Have you checked it yet?  
IF that isn't the issue. You could CAREFULLY undo the ECU connections and check for any green on those. BEWARE, the ECU carries a charge and if you happen to short out any of those pins in the ECU while trying to clean them you'll be looking for a new ECU..!   Ask me how I learned that one!  I had 3 pins green and tried to wash them using sensor cleaner only to watch a small lightening flash in the suds as I scrubbed the green away.
IF it is the things you are speaking of they operate off of the SAM and possibly that little silver box under the dash near the battery. Check inside that silver box for white corrosion which can easily be scrubbed off using a mild cleaner and then resealed using clear nail polish. Don't tell the misses...lol. Also check in the battery well for a little white connection plug with 4 or 5 wires in it, Mine was so corroded I simply cut  it out and hard wired it.

Hope one of those helps...?:     Again, BEWARE of the charge in the ECU...maybe leave that to the last...?

I second the location Willys is talking about that has the 6 grinding wires.

I did an engine swapped a year ago and the problem turned out to be the 6 grounding wires. I had disconnected it several times to check and trouble shoot and it seemed fine, but had no luck. After taking advice on the forum about ground wires I decided to redo what I already did several times.

The 6 grinding wires in my case had no evidence of corrosion on the termination point.

I decided to to undo the wire harness to check the further back ( about 8 inches in the attaching point) and the wire hard/stiff and not very flexible. I cut out about 10 inches of wire from all 6 wires and spliced in new wire.

Problem was than immediately solved.

2 people like this

Do you happen to have a picture of this ground point ? I have been looking around for this but have only seen something like that near the battery and have already cleaned tested them 

Also digging around I have found some 120v extension cord ends anyone have any idea what these would be for one is near the battery the other is under the car near the oil pan i have pictures of both but can’t post them here 

block heater and connection for your interior heater.

They come from the front bumper for you to plug into for a battery blanket and in car 120V heater to warm the car before you start it up so to speak.....same for the block heater if yours came with it, or you can also splice in a stick on polar oil pan heater and use the same wiring, but that will need a better wire from front bumper to the female sockets IMHO. A simple good quality extention cord will work fine in place of the thin stock wiring.

That grounding pin is under the body lip about 10 inches off centre on the front left side of the engine compartment opening as you are looking forwards at the car as you would when standing at the back of the car...  It is within finger reach from the edge of the hatch opening, easy to find once you have seen it once...lol.  Just run your hands along the upper lip of the body roughly where one of the tabs are that align the engine compartment lid, you know the clasps that you must get all aligned to get the lid to fit correctly. There should be like 6 wires going to it. all brown.

As already stated above, The plug under the front bumper supplies power to the battery area for a battery warmer (blanket) or cabin heater. In my case, the stick-on oil pan heater was connected to the wiring that goes to the battery compartment so both oil pan heater and cabin heater (or battery blanket) run off the same plug at the front.  The original plug (photo #1) on mine has been replaced with a common three-prong plug (photo #2)  with a sealing flap to keep out the winter grunge.  Photo #3 shows the cabin heater I use.

Smart Plug.jpg

smart plug good replacement 01.jpg

Smart Heater.jpg