Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jocko

ABS light - cracked Tone Ring / Reluctor Ring

11 posts in this topic

I presume the 2016 ED uses the same axles as the gas car.

My 2016 ED has been throwing the odd ABS light but now it come on when I go over 100km/h. I bought the front sensor thinking I may have broken it when I was rebuilding the front end but no luck. I moved to the rear and saw the passenger ABS Tone Ring is broken.

Has anyone had any luck replacing these? I really don't want to buy an axle for a broken ring. My main issue is where to get them.

Can anyone help me out with sourcing them?

its always good to check first with sellers to find out what shipping they use....if they send it regular post office it will generally arrive via canada post with no import fees....if they say courier such as fed ex or ups avoid it like the plague......global shipping program is a ripoff imo when it comes to ebay...you wont get surprise brokerage fees but its way overpriced and many times ive bid on items that stated a global fee with no import charges but after winning the item it suddenly has an extra fee when you go to pay

Holy Crap! I'm shocked.

I ordered the ring on Sunday evening and got it in Montreal today. Wednesday. From England! Is there some special mail service for colonials that I'm unaware of? I don't even get this kind of service sending mail within the city!

I took your advice and took the regular Royal Mail. No couriers. It cost less, no brokerage, no extra fee and came ridiculously quickly for regular mail.

The ring seems heavier than the original but we'll see. I have one broken ring at the moment throwing a code so I'll see how I make out putting it on. The other one is not in bad shape. If it goes well I'll order the other side anyway.

At less than $40 all in per side its a whole lot cheaper than an axle new or used. And you have to do the same job one way or the other except with this you don't have to take out he axle. (in theory at least)

I'm going to replace it on the weekend so I'll let you know how I made out. My only concern is that it fits the axle.

Thanks for the heads up!

I would be heartbroken if it cost me that much. The last ones I bought were under £4 and that broke my heart, they used to be under £2 a few years ago. They are still on ebay at £3.97 each. :)

1 person likes this

i had a broken one last week on a 2013 ford edge

no rings available at parts stores or even the dealer...cost the guy $150 for a whole axle just because of a ring

And this is the dilemma. At this point I really don't care how much it costs within reason, so long as it fits, I can get it here and its orders of magnitude less than a new axle.

I agree its a bit expensive for what it is but it's the shipping that doubles the price. In any case it fits and the car works perfectly again. Yes!

I was also amazed at the swift delivery. I'm not sure if it's a one off but I'm going to try again soon.

It was a bit of a chore I have to admit but well within the ability of most back yard mechanics I would think. You do need some special tools of course. They wouldn't want to make it easy so they use all the weird sizes.

An impact wrench also helps a lot but I'm sure you can do without.

An E18 with an 18mm box end for the rear suspension that allows you to drop the axle

An E16 for the rear shock again to drop the axle

A 16mm socket for the axle bolt

If the ring is split it just slides out by hand if not drift it out with a chisel.

Once the axle is out I used an angle grinder with 80 grit emery so as not to take off too much and it polished the metal nice and smooth. I protected the boot just in case.

Drifted the new ring on with an old 1/2 extension as a punch and I found that worked the best. It went on nice and snug.

Put it all back and test drive. The car drives like new.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers,

A quick note.

I mentioned it was an E16 when in fact it's an E14 for the shock bolt and it's important to mention that I did manage to change the ring with the axles in the car.

No need to take the drive axles out and risk damaging the seals. I supported the end of the axle with a jack stand and that let me work on it no problem.

I also tie the loose rear suspension bar up with a bungee cord to get it out of the way so I could work on the end of the axle.

Cheers

2 people like this

I think that those gearbox drive shaft seals are OEM only so if you do damage them it will double the cost of the job.

1 person likes this