Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
450ken

Shell T-6 5w-40 vs Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro ???

6 posts in this topic

I think Pennzoil 5W-40 Euro is actually made by Shell Oil maybe at the same plant as Rotella T-6 so whats the diff ? It sounds like the Euro version is formulated for longer service intervals with extra wear protection additives. Can anybody enlighten me the difference between Euro oil and other oil. We don't have any sort of extensive pollution control like the late model diesels so I'm not concerned about that plus I burn off the exhaust system with Diesel Extreme every six months and clean it out anyway.

It's an oil question, very much like sweating TNT.....touch at your own risk...lol

IMHO....I use the oil that the man asks for or recommends......oil is cheap when compared to hard parts or life expectancy of the engine.  I have learned this lesson many many decades ago by looking to cheap out....besides the Euro Mobil 1 comes on sale at Canadian Tire regularly at half price......so again...is it worth it ?

To each their own.....touch at your own risk...lol.

Skip 0W-40, I had a really nice Ram 1500 diesel and they have a large online community. Ram has dumped 0W-40 and gone all in on 5W-40 because their $100,000 1500 Ecodiesel trucks randomly blow out the bottom end of the engine at almost any mileage and not always under warranty which translates into $$$$$$$$$$$$$ out of your retirement savings. The point of oil as thin as Urine is mostly MPG, do you need to sacrifice engine wear for an extra .25 liter per 50 kms ? 

5 hours ago, 450ken said:

The point of oil as thin as Urine is mostly MPG, do you need to sacrifice engine wear for an extra .25 liter per 50 kms ? 

and tree hugger points.

An oil with different specifications is a type of oil that differs from another type of oil that has other specifications.
For example, Shell T6 oil comes in 2 versions: T6 for America and T6 for Europe. In addition to the packaging, the content specifications also differ, it's slightly different.
Only fully synthetic oils are recommended for Smart engines. I tried on the Smart CDI engine: Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 (very good), Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W40 (very good), Motul 8100 X-clean+ 5W30 (very good), Liqui Moly LL 5W30 (unsatisfactory) and others that I don't keep them anymore.
It must be taken into account when selecting the oil for the Smart 450 CDI engine:
- to be 100% synthetic
- let it be 65-70 cSt@40C
- to be cSt 10/10+ @ 100C
- to be TBN 10/10+
- to be MB-Approval 229.5
The list of oils approved by Mercedes and for Smart is

https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/229.5/en

I avoided 0W30 (wears out the engine prematurely) and 5W40 (stresses the starter and the oil pump).
The oil recommended by Smart is 5W30 Mobil 1. For all seasons.

From personal experience with Mobil 1 0W40 it started well at -25C (that is, very good for that temperature and a 3-cylinder diesel engine).

In Canada, there are different types of Mobil oil than the ones I use in Europe.

1 person likes this