Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flekker

Engine rebuild

4 posts in this topic

I had a nice running used engine the smartie that I got for a smoking deal.

Ran great, nice little performer and it happens.

Oil pump gear completely stripped.

swapped it out but no luck.  The engine is longer happy. Sounds horrible.

I just stripped my old block down and found it had lifter issues but head is still good.

engine is 90% town down. It was also a good running engine until ( what I know ) the lifter problem. 
The only thing not done is to split the block and remove the crank.

I plan on leaving the crank in. Cylinder walls are good, no scoring at all.

the plan is put a set of rings and conrod bearings, new timing chain set and oil pump chain set.

parts are getting ordered tomorrow and the cleaning process also starts.

I need some help with the torque values for the cylinder head bolts, camshaft cap bolts and connecting rod bolts.

It’s a 2006 cdi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Will post some pics later. Everything is currently bagged and tagged and will be taking picks as I clean them.

Gonna try oven cleaner to clean the block.

the torques are listed here somewhere ...i remember finding them here when i needed them but i dont recall where

check the oil pump...it could have (probably) received damage pumping those worn down gear teeth filings into the oil filter 

Just buy a new oil pump and such, cheap in the whole big picture...IMHO. You are in this deep do it right. I have all the torque specs here, just PM me and I'll get a list for you. I don't have it stored on the computer it's all paper.  Check the cylinde walls for warpages, install rings and shine a flashlight up from beneath to check for light showing between cylinder walls and the rings, then move the rings up in 1/2" increments checking again. I had a perfectly good running engine that had warpage issues big enough it took 2 over piston machining to get them straight again. Also finding pistons can get challenging....MW-SMART  https://www.smart-ersatzteile.com/  is where I bought all my engine and rebuilding parts for the entire car from, they were at the time great people to deal with. This was before COVID though so can't say what their prices and shipping is like now.
They will have all your lifter parts as well as I bought mine there.  You will find the rockers will possibly have cracks at the lifter end as that was an issue. Also the rocker will wear to the lifter and if you don't change the two together the lifter may not rotate as it should when running.  Take a close look at the wear surfaces and you'll see they are no longer round, they are deformed.

The only things I left stock were the main bearings as mine were still well within the good range and mostly because I couldn't find new. Then the crank, cam, connecting rods....block and head...the rest I replaced with new.  
Check the drive dogs for the air pump on the top righthand end of the head, for the brake booster.....that also will be badly worn.  Some parts came from Romania this one one of them I believe....