javensbukan

2015 Smart ED (W451) - How degraded is the battery?

5 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying a 2015 Smart ED (W451), however the seller doesn't have a SoH reading from the battery, fully charged it's saying 85 Km on the guessometer... is that to be somewhat expected or should I run away in fear of battery degradation? 

The car only has about 54000 Km on it, so i'd be surprised if the battery degradation was *that* bad already.

Any other tips and tricks I could ask of the seller to get a more accurate picture of the health of the battery?

That's to be expected. But still doesn't say anything. You can have a new battery showing less range and a bad battery showing more range. Without the soh or at least driving it your own from 100 % to 10 % or so you don't have any idea. I'd prefer a soh highly over driving it myself.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, MineCooky said:

That's to be expected. But still doesn't say anything. You can have a new battery showing less range and a bad battery showing more range. Without the soh or at least driving it your own from 100 % to 10 % or so you don't have any idea. I'd prefer a soh highly over driving it myself.

Thanks!

I had a feeling that might be the answer :( to get a %SoH they want *me* to pay to get it taken to a MB dealer, which is a bit of an ask considering it's something they should know when selling an EV.

Hmm... true. But on the other hand, it's not that much. At least here in Germany the MB dealer asks 30-40 € for that check. Making such a battery tool yourself could also be an option, but that's still 3-4x more expensive.

20 hours ago, javensbukan said:

Thanks!

I had a feeling that might be the answer :( to get a %SoH they want *me* to pay to get it taken to a MB dealer, which is a bit of an ask considering it's something they should know when selling an EV.

Get the quote of the battery check from dealership and simply reduce the purchase price from it and the time involved in getting the check done for your time etc etc....I agree they should know or at least be willing to compensate you for this work and time etc.....IF imho they don't I'd run and find something else....but that again is up to you and how strong your gut feelings are...Hmmm...????       What are they possibly hiding or are they just that innocent so to speak...?    Is the price of the car that good and it is worth the risk?  I'm a person who looks at the bad first then tries to deal with it....I see red flags......

1 person likes this