modex007

CDI SMART 450 cold start

57 posts in this topic

Will do that. But now car is much more responsive, from 0 acseleration is waaay smoother, no more ratling and shaking as before. Also on neutral its not shaking as before. Its not placebo. Its very noticible. Today started again without a problem with only one glow plug round :) -5°C. My "backpack" is alive :D its most fun car of all my cars :D its old funny but i love it :D

Just engine heating still concerns me. 10km drive and only two bars. I know its a small engine but will need to replace thermostat to be 100% sure its because of small engine

3 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

I stuck a restrictor in my radiator hose to assist with the heating up and it is still fine on the hottest summer days.

Drag the attached file to here: https://3dviewer.net/

restrict.stl

So your car never gets into the 4 blob range?  Did you also change your thermostat?  Also what are your summer time temps on a regular range?  Here in Canada it gets mighty warm compared to England imho.  Yes I have been lately to England visiting family and realize it does get warmer than people think.  Just curious is all....as it may be something to build for next season...?   Also exactly where is it inserted in your system?   I'm sure there must be an old thread discussing this mod.....?

1 person likes this

Mine is a 451 so not blobs on the temperature gauge just plain old lines. :)

It gets to the middle and stays there unless I have a big downhill, then it drops below the middle.

The thermostat on the 451 CDI is a right mongrel. £150 each if you do it as Merc would like you to. Mine went duff so I pulled it apart and replaced the insides with a normal thermostat rather than an electrically operated one. That is one lesson that car manufacturers never seem to learn, "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Wax thermostats have worked for decades operated on the temperature of the water, why would you change that, well Smart did.

It is in the top hose at the thermostat.

IIRC Tolsen did it to his 450 many moons ago.

1 person likes this

Likely the electric actuation is something to do with liming emissions....

"They" reckon it is about letting the engine run hotter if it is being hammered. I reckon they talk out of it instead of sitting on it.

I have two 451 CDIs. The one with the modified thermostat is faster and more economical than the bog standard one. They are both 54s.