Willys

Injector puller, make or buy?

10 posts in this topic

OK, as the title says I am after an injector puller to try and remove a stuck injector. It is seriously glued in place by a sticky gooey carbon build up from a leaking seal. 
I have been softening it up using carb cleaner etc for a week or so and can only just rotate it maybe 1/5th of a turn if that. And that is using my 1/2" drive breaker bar and a special tool I made to take that strain. The stock hold down clamp snapped like a twig!
So I am on the hunt now for either some plans to make a puller or a ready build puller not made from GOLD that I can buy for one use....AUGH!!!!

All suggestions welcomed.....lets hear it....what do you know?

Thanking you in advance.

Yes I have other injectors I could use but this set run perfectly together and have been rebuilt perfectly, so I would like to keep them as a set.

I haven't even looked at my injectors to see how they come out. You might get it with a heel bar, pry up and rotate back and forth or you may use adaption and a slide hammer to pull it.

Hmmm....?  I have a slide hammer......Hmmm??

The heel bars I have also but there is no room to work them....even the slide hammer will be a tricky situation.....thanks for the idea ....time to check.

If you have a spare injector, can you connect the pipe and connector to spare injector, add means to collect diesel spray and leak oil, perhaps a few cushions as well then run engine and see if compression will fire stuck injector out?

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

If you have a spare injector, can you connect the pipe and connector to spare injector, add means to collect diesel spray and leak oil, perhaps a few cushions as well then run engine and see if compression will fire stuck injector out?

That is more effective if you leave the injector connected but you will need a longer pipe with some give in it.

Do not stand behind the injector.

I have run the engine and even tried turning the injector while the engine running...it turns slightly but still didn't fire it out of the hole...yes very dangerous. I have even taken it high up in RPMs without success....FFS...!   I am now hunting a block of steel to make the hold down cut out shape then weld that on or thread it onto a shaft which will be welded to my slide hammer....no luck finding steel yet...seems I have used all the good solid bits already...Hmmm...???

I also was checking space around injector to see how thick a piece I can get away with and noticed the injector next to the first one is now seeping black ooze!

It's just forcing me to scrap it...I know.....lol.

8 hours ago, Willys said:

I have run the engine and even tried turning the injector while the engine running...it turns slightly but still didn't fire it out of the hole...yes very dangerous. I have even taken it high up in RPMs without success....FFS...!   I am now hunting a block of steel to make the hold down cut out shape then weld that on or thread it onto a shaft which will be welded to my slide hammer....no luck finding steel yet...seems I have used all the good solid bits already...Hmmm...???

I also was checking space around injector to see how thick a piece I can get away with and noticed the injector next to the first one is now seeping black ooze!

It's just forcing me to scrap it...I know.....lol.

Stop being defeatist.

Whinging is fine but this talk of throwing your hand in is not acceptable.

:)

5 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

Stop being defeatist.

Whinging is fine but this talk of throwing your hand in is not acceptable.

:)

LMFAO.....I bought this old rusty car to last 6 months....it has lasted 3 years!   It is considered a beater for a reason.....it isn't in a condition to spend real money on it.....it was a stop gap vehicle while restoring my original Smart. As soon as I get my over fueling issue under control in it, this beater will be scrapped....it has served me well.
It has 260,000kms on the clock, rusted out floors, leaks like a siv, completely sealed in windshield and sun roof and had a very hard life with the owner before me. It has been a reliable stop gap and has been treated with kid gloves by me to make it last.

So, whining....not really....just frustrated that at the end of it's time that it finally started to fall apart when I want to try swapping injectors to test a theory....so whining, I don't think so.

When I finally do get defeated I will get the 8 lb sledge hammer out and finish it off .....then you can say I finally lost it.  lol

I have many vehicles to drive if need be....owning a Smart Car of this age isn't really the Smart thing to do after it starts to consume funds. The only reason is the 80 mpgs it gets every time you drive it. That is why I restored my first Smart.  I will drive it until it also falls apart which may be my final daily driver. 

Now back to being frustrated about these stuck injectors...lol.  

If you have an old injector hold down clamp. Drill out the hole so you can insert a 6 inch bolt and weld in place. Then attach it to your slide hammer.

I would attach it to the bolt upside down so the curve is facing up.

On 6/9/2023 at 11:52 PM, CANMAN said:

If you have an old injector hold down clamp. Drill out the hole so you can insert a 6 inch bolt and weld in place. Then attach it to your slide hammer.

I would attach it to the bolt upside down so the curve is facing up.

I already snapped off one side of the clamp, so I decided to make a far stronger clamp style tool, fingers crossed....hardened and tempered....