vdub

10 complete diesels all or none package.olds alberta

32 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Willys said:

IF IZZY does get them ,,,  I may want that body kit off the bronze car....

izzy's comin,, he's snow white for these 10dwarfs :D,,,

smarts are just at an age to afford to collect,,, old vw/jeeps/toyotas_ parts candidates are waay outa reach$$ ,, ten to one ratio_ ish.

like the natives use the whole buffalo ,,, we use the whole smart or vw etc. nothing goes to waste,, ppl rebuild with nothing but abit of cab&vin.

newer scrap for crush is $400+(just cat'&rad value),,,noname general-mill mile'd out completes are a $G... 500dollar 'A to B' beaters are no more :sad02:

either you or me is color blind? >bronze is a copper-brown,,, maybe u mean maroon__theres 2 of those nice,, others are white/black/red/blue

59 minutes ago, vdub said:

smarts are just at an age to afford to collect,,, old vw/jeeps/toyotas_ parts candidates are waay outa reach$$ ,, ten to one ratio_ ish.

like the natives use the whole buffalo ,,, we use the whole smart or vw etc. nothing goes to waste,, ppl rebuild with nothing but abit of cab&vin.

newer scrap for crush is $400+(just cat'&rad value),,,noname general-mill mile'd out completes are a $G... 500dollar 'A to B' beaters are no more :sad02:

either you or me is color blind? >bronze is a copper-brown,,, maybe u mean maroon__theres 2 of those nice,, others are white/black/red/blue

Maybe you are correct about the colour but I see a bronze so to speak, maybe a aged fine wine colour...?   Either way I like this shade far above the other they have offered up to us...
The problem or difficulty in keeping these vehicles is that there are zero after market choices to help keep us going compared to any of the other vehicles etc.....most everything is priced as if made from the finest of materials etc and don't even think about going to a dealership for servicing....what a joke and usually the reason someone such as yourself ends up with so many same vehicles in their collection.  I came close to getting a small junk yard started but thought about my age and desire to learn seriously how to deal with the white smoke.....IF I was lets say 20 years younger I would be seriously after these cars. 
I have a basically brand new vehicle I have changed everything that could or would wear out with brand new, so thinking of my age and possible driving years left...it very well could out live me...lol.

I hope you make the deal and these cars end up in  a person's hands that can bring them back to life once again.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, vdub said:

I'll be coming with Izzy to check them out! Looking forward to seeing all of them. 

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Willys said:

Either way I like this shade far above the other they have offered up to us...
The problem or difficulty in keeping these vehicles is that there are zero after market choices to help keep us going compared to any of the other vehicles etc....

yea germany kept all the nice forest green/sand beige/light grey/subtle medium blue vw's,,, and sent abunch the freaky yellow/lime green/bright orange for the hippies in the 70's .... lol

an 11th smart, diesel motor has been hung up at machine shop for years ,, something about can't get valves to complete the head job,,

vw machinist lost arts happened also,,factory used super hot&cold differential to set valve guides,,, where as generic shops just glued them in__>aircooled gets hotter than watercooled,,the brass guides would slip down out of aluminum heads_and valve would split them and brass pieces would ruin just like a dropped valve..

but yea most makes had a time of no aftermarket for the old__ smartcars are at that point now,, and enough demand will spur it on,,for economy alone

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 minutes ago, vdub said:

yea germany kept all the nice forest green/sand beige/light grey/subtle medium blue vw's,,, and sent abunch the freaky yellow/lime green/bright orange for the hippies in the 70's .... lol

an 11th smart, diesel motor has been hung up at machine shop for years ,, something about can't get valves to complete the head job,,

vw machinist lost arts happened also,,factory used super hot&cold differential to set valve guides,,, where as generic shops just glued them in__>aircooled gets hotter than watercooled,,the brass guides would slip down out of aluminum heads_and valve would split them and brass pieces would ruin just like a dropped valve..

but yea most makes had a time of no aftermarket for the old__ smartcars are at that point now,, and enough demand will spur it on,,for economy alone

I know where to get valves....as I replaced all of mine along with rockers, lifter rods everything. The only parts I didn't replace were block head, crank and cam. The one thing I couldn't find at the time were main bearings but mine were well within limit.
I don't see a spurt of interest enough to make any after market bits and pieces even suggested. These cars do not provide any typical enjoyment that other vehicles seem to generate...imho. The biggest thing I find is the massive fuel economy numbers capable. I can easily average 3 litres per hundred kms driven. THAT is the only reason I keep mine.  The only vehicles better are the full electric and IF you add into the mix what you pay for them and how much the battery may cost you in the long run I beat those also.  So our fearless leader can do what he wants with fuel prices, it makes no difference when we drive these fuel sniffers.  I just came back from a 29,700 km drive from Toronto up to the Arctic Ocean and am scared to add up the fuel cost . I drove a 2011 GMC Savana  4.8 old wheelchair van. I converted it to a camper so I saved the cost of a bug infested motel every night....but paid through the nose or lets say I haven't stopped bleeding yet from the pump rapings..lol.

Edited by Willys

2 minutes ago, Willys said:

I know where to get valves....as I replaced all of mine along with rockers, lifter rods everything. The only parts I didn't replace were block head, crank and cam. The one thing I couldn't find at the time were main bearings but mine were well within limit.

i havn't the details,, these cars were my late dads gig,, i asked for the unfinished pile back from mech,, just excuses..  i guess it's gonna be one of those:hmmph02:

but now i know where to bug ya if i do,, on the other side of canada :beerchug:

1 person likes this

SOLD,,  thanks to this community ,, they're special needs will be addressed ..

by the good smart doctor   stickman007 (Izzy) ,, picked up the rest of them today.

4 people like this