Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruben

tranny not engaging

3 posts in this topic

have a 2010 Smart car. the engine went on it and I bought a wrecked car with a good engine . we swapped the engine and it runs , but the tranny wont engage .we changed the module under the seat and now we can hear it engage but then it disengages again. Any ideas??

The clutch needs teaching probably. Presumably as you changed the engine you have the clutch from the replacement engine in there or a new clutch in there. The computer needs to learn where the bite point is on the clutch. This is done with a computer after using the correct setting procedure on the clutch actuator itself.

You need to get underneath and slacken the three bolts that hold the actuator to the gearbox.

Slide the actuator until the end touches the clutch arm in the bell housing.

Move the clutch actuator three marks on the scale marked on the gearbox/actuator.

After that it needs teaching with a computer. If you have done the three mark thing accurately then they often work OK without teaching.

You will probably get a better explanation if you look on fq101 for instructions.

I agree with the above statement and will add, find someone locally who owns a STAR system diagnostic machine that will do the teach in procedure. It will also help solve any other issues that may pop up in the future.  IF you plan on keeping the car for a long period of time and want to do your own mechanical work....perhaps owning your own STAR is something to think about. I thought that IF I was forced to use a dealership or shop the cost of maybe 3 trips to these places could pay for a STAR system so I made up my own. It has paid for itself many times over and also made the cost back by helping other owners repair their cars by charging 1/2 or less of what the shops charge. Just something to think about IF you plan on a long term relationship with a Smart Car...lol.