Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cally122002

Locking Issue!

3 posts in this topic

Hi, recently purchased a Smart ForTwo Cabriolet but have encountered an issue with locking it! Just want to check with fellow smart owners I’m not being an idiot before taking back to garage! The key fob clicks and lights flash for open but does nothing for locking.  The key won’t manually lock the door either, however if sat in the car and press the locking button on the dash it locks the doors.  I’ve tried changing the battery in the fob so is there anything else I should try? Thank you 🙏 

im not sure

but my first thought is that if you only have one key...... you should copy a few more in case you ever lose it...

Welcome to the nuthouse, plenty of fellow Smart owners here to try and help with your problems...

So, the open button works but the lock does not correct? That is using just the key fob, right? BUT the dash locking button works. One has nothing to do with the other so to speak, they both do the same job but the key fob should do all operations, so imho the lock switch in the key fob has broken and you need a new key fob.....part of the sale price of the car no?  Unless it worked when you bought the car and has just stopped working?  IF so then you can buy a key fob off of amazon or Ebay for the year and model that you have easy enough....BUT, you then must get that new key fob re-programed to your car's imobalizer. That requires a STAR machine or the dealership or a good locksmith maybe?
I'm not sure where your location is...?  That will depend upon how difficult and/or expensive it may be to get this done. Don't go running to a dealership before telling us where you live(area, country)? OK found you...an Ex-Pat here....as there are members here who own a STAR machine that could help possibly.  The dealership will be expensive.

IF you are at all technically capable, you could replace the foil switch from a new fob perhaps into the old fob and get around the re-programing  problem.  It is very fine work, like watch repair type fine....but doable .

Hope this helps somewhat and again welcome ....

Edited by Willys