Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hulse

Auto box help

7 posts in this topic

Evening guys 

I have a 2006 smart fourtwo with the automatic gearbox. I have only had the car for a week and do not know how to put the gearbox in park ? Or what gear to have the car in to start it ? All I can find is N 

many thanks 

There is no park position in the 450 gearbox.  If you wish you can shift to reverse and then shut off and take the key out.  When you want to start you would step on the brake and shift back to neutral.

1 person likes this

It should always be parked in R because there is a lever interlock - the car's only security feature.

Great thanks for all the help I have been trying to start the car with no joy and thought it might have to be on park. I was pressing the brake pedal in too. Must be the battery 

I assume your car has an immobilizer.  If you get the key symbol in the centre of the cluster turn the key off and press the unlock button on the remote and then try to start again.  
Another common issue for a no crank is a corroded trigger connection on top of the starter solenoid.  The connector can be reached with long forceps or possibly with long needle nose pliers.  Usually a little wiggle of the connector is all that is needed.  I would follow up with a quick shot of Rust Check or wool wax depending on what is available in your part of the world.

Nigel