Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DieSmart

2006 Smart 450 diesel - worn out inner tie rods

3 posts in this topic

My steering is fine but my inner tie rods are worn out on my 2006 Smart 450. Do I need to remove and replace the entire steering rack to access the inner tie rods? or can they be accessed and swapped out by simply removing the front wheels? Mercedes Canada (which no longer provides parts) - said the entire steering rack must be replaced and they only sold the steering rack including inner tie rods together as 1 complete part. That seems a bit overkill if I only need to replace the inner tie rods. (I found a new pair inner tie rods online -eBay)  Any help is appreciated. thx!No photo description available.No photo description available.May be an image of text

I replaced the left inner tie rod on my '06 a month or so ago. I got the tie rod from ebay. I did not remove the rack. I bought this type of inner tie rod removal tool: https://www.princessauto.com/inner-tie-rod-tool/product/PA0009065020

There's a spot on the steering rack where the tie rod screws onto that accepts a 19mm wrench. You must use a wrench to hold the steering rack while removing the tie rod. If you lower the front plastic splash pan you'll find a hole in the bottom of the front cross member just below where the 19mm goes on the steering rack. The job was a pain because of the limited access. 

Hello there,

I hope you don’t mind me barging in on your topic.  I’ve just discovered that on my 2002 smart 450 Cabrio petrol, both of the tie rods (inner) are worn out. I’ve removed the steering rack and, on the bench, been able to remove the left hand inner tie rod (completely normal set up) but do any of you guys know how to do the right hand side? I can’t work out how to remove the shock absorber mount that surrounds the inner ball joint. Is it just pressed onto the ball joint housing at the inner end of the tie rod or screwed on some how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.