Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ProgFrog

Smart friendly places

29 posts in this topic

I'd like to start a thread on smart friendly places in Ottawa. It would map out useful locations in and around Ottawa such as Diesel stations, car washes, parking spots (where only we can fit :cheeky:) and anything we can think of that would be useful for us smart owners. I could make it a pdf attachment and update it as needed. Would anybody find this useful?

-Marc

Any info we can get is useful :-) I'd love to be able to find a do-it-yourself hand car wash to get rid of all the winter dirt -- regular car washes don't hit the back of a smart :scowl:Here are some gas stations that sell diesel. I would guess that the same stations at other locations would also sell diesel.Sunoco -- Hunt Club @ MerivaleUltramar -- Price of Wales near JockvaleMcEwen -- Fallowfield @ Moodie

Hey FreepJam, you are in luck. I was actually looking at some do it yourself spray car washes today and found a few. I live near south keys so I picked

Soft Spray - 1375 Johnston Rd (South keys area)

Winter (3$ for 3 minutes).

Summer (3$ for 4 minutes).

It accepts loonies and toonies only.

Worked really well on the car. This was my first time ever using a hand wash so I wasn't very efficient. I only used the high pressure spray mode and took my time trying to hit every spot where salt might be hiding. I even sprayed under the car :cheeky:. I can read my license plate now :speechless:

If you are near Barhaven there is Stewart Fuels (1999 Merivale at Slack) which supposedly has a coin operated self serve spray wash. I haven't passed by yet to confirm though.

As for diesel my first fillup was at the Esso (Prince of whales/Hunt club). $15.20 woohoo!

Any info we can get is useful :-) I'd love to be able to find a do-it-yourself hand car wash to get rid of all the winter dirt -- regular car washes don't hit the back of a smart :scowl:

Here are some gas stations that sell diesel. I would guess that the same stations at other locations would also sell diesel.

Sunoco -- Hunt Club @ Merivale

That's a Shell station, isn't it?? With the Timmy's in back and beside the Toyota dealership? If not, they have diesel there too.

The Shell station at Pinecrest & Iris @ the Qweensway has diesel.

Sonny's in Bell's Corners has diesel and a DIY car wash.

The Canadian Tire on Terry Fox Dr, just outside the Kanata Centrum has diesel.

Oops, I think you're right about it being a Shell station and not a Sunoco. I always get those two mixed up, for some reason

:wacko:

Thanks Blair :-) And thanks to you and progfrog for pointing out some DIY car washes. I did a quick wash in our driveway on Monday, and now the entire driveway has a nice thick layer of ice on it. Oops!! Oh well, I suppose it'll melt later this week when we FINALLY get into some + temperatures for a change!!

Winter will soon be arriving and that means our smarts will be coated with all that wonderful road stuff. I've been thinking of getting my car protected but can't stand the idea of leaving my car to a garage who is clueless about smart cars.

This morning I stopped at an interesting proofing place. The owner actually owns a smart! He explained to me that even though the smart has some plastic it still has some areas prone to rusting. He takes about an hour to protect the vehicle and even takes off the plastic panels. If anybody is interested the address is :

CLICK FOR MAP

The place is called Oil Shield Rust Proofing. My appointment is tommorow morning and I'll post an update once I get my car back.

-pf :croak:

Thanks for that info, ProgFrog :thumbup: I cringed every time I drove through fresh road salt or behind a salt truck last winter :oh: Do you know how much the rustproofing costs??

I see that Crappy Tire is now selling and installing that electronic rustproofing system that doesn't involve drilling holes in your car. When I priced out the cost at a GM dealer last spring, they quoted $500-600 for my MB SL. I see that CT has a special running right now on the system. Its current advertized price there is $199, but I'm not sure if that includes installation or not. This system should, in theory, protect all metal parts of the car, body and chassis, from rust.

I'm skeptical about the CT claim. Your car already runs current through it, so I'm not sure how the gizmo would help. :devil:

I just got back from my rust proofing appointment. Here are the results.

He didn't take the plastic panels off except the one for the underside of the car. He sprayed inside the tridion, in the hatch crease on top of the car near the third brake light and glass roof area. He said he removed a light to spray (don't know if it was the front lights or side markers). The little grilles near the windshield were also removed to spray inside. He also drilled/plugged a hole in a sub-frame at the bottom of the hatch door and sprayed inside.

The technique he used consisted of a rod with two hoses. One with air and the other with the rust proofing oil. Both can be controlled independently

Overall I was happy with the service. He was very friendly and informative. Some people mentioned that the rust proofing helps alot in cutting down on the tin can effect inside the smart and I can confirm that it's true.

Oh and he also informed me of something very interesting. TAPP Auto in Ottawa remaps smarts.

post-310-1157730239.gif

so i whent to oil shield and got my smart oil treated today and watched the guy do it, it took about 45 minutes start to finish and then we talked about our cars then i told him about club smart car and the little get together on the 24th of september i also told him it could be a good way to promote his shop and services to fellow smart owners as for the oil treatment it cost me 90$ tax includedps. i might go back tomorow if i have time and get my honda civic show car oil treated

I had a headlight burn out and drop buy Star Motors. Whereas the bulb was $14.00, they took a few minutes of their time and installed it for free. Great to see type of thinking for customer relations.Garry

Ultramar on Prince of Wales near Jockvale is selling diesel for 90.9 cents :clapping: That's about the lowest it's been since we got our smart a year ago :yahoo:

Ultramar on Prince of Wales near Jockvale is selling diesel for 90.9 cents :clapping: That's about the lowest it's been since we got our smart a year ago :yahoo:

0.889 $/l at the Canadian Tire in the Kanata Centrum last evening according to my reciept.

0.889 $/l at the Canadian Tire in the Kanata Centrum last evening according to my reciept.

:oh: Well, I got ripped off!!!! I would have paid 40 cents less if I'd filled up there!!!! ;)But seriously, it's nice to see diesel prices finally going down a bit :thumbup:

RUBY CAT had her dinner @0.86/L @ Cyrville Rd last night~~~ Does anyone feed their baby smarties with some "vegie"~~!?

Ultramar ia down to 86.9, and I saw a station in Almont yesterday selling it for 85.9 :thumbup:We've just used regular diesel in our smart. Our salesguy told us not to use biodiesel yet because it isn't regulated.

For the easties there are a few stations that sell diesel, esso on innes at the queens way exit/entrance, sunoco on innes and blair, petrocan on st-laurent and cyrville, shell on innes and tenth line, esso on innes across from wal mart... tonnes more that i cant think of right now.