Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eightball

"Delipping"

30 posts in this topic

I just finished "Delipping" the air intake on Eightball. Was very easy to do, instructions are here; http://www.evilution.co.uk/delip.htm

Can't say that I notice any seat of the pants performance increase, but it does make sense intuitively that less turbulent intake airflow would allow more air to enter. Plus it is a fun, inexpensive little project.

How about some pictures?! You have some interesting stuff listed in your signature! Euro taillights? And what is a powerbox???

Cheers!

S

Wouldn't the lip be there to prevent water from entering the air intake?

Powerbox is a plug-in unit that I bought in Germany, made by MAL electronics, it is basically one of those little units that increase the injection duration. I'm very happy with it. Unplugged it the other day and I could really feel the difference. It boosts the power noticably in the midrange and I don't really notice any more fuel consumption, just more soot on the exhaust.

As for the Taillights, I got the Euro ones from Germany and installed them on my car. I have'nt got around to rewiring them yet, but intend to. Right now the amber signals also come on as the brakelights and the red rear foglamp just comes on as a backup light. Incidentally, the tailight lenses are the same from the early model to the newer one that we have here.

I am going to Germany in May and will pick up my rims/tires that I bought used on E-Bay and my front spoiler. They are sitting at my friends place in Kassel. I also have a set of Formel K springs from Germany that I plan to install.

Having great fun with my little Eightball...

There was some discussion about that on the evilution site, but none of those people seemed to have any problems, in England no less...

Wouldn't the lip be there to prevent water from entering the air intake?

That's one theory.

Another is that it's there to restrict intake air in the same way that the max speed limiter is there to tune-down the car's performance.

FWIW, I have the Michalak inlet kit[1] and use a power wash facility. Water is directed straight into the inlet. No worries - it dribbles down the wildly contorted intake tube to the airbox where there is a drain hole in the bottom to let out any pooling water. The air filter doesn't rest on the bottom of the box - no liquid water gets into the turbo intake.

Bil :robot:

PS the delip by itself does little or nothing for performance. Take the next step: swap out the filter for a K&N! Good deals to be had on those right now...

[1] In my experience, having researched and tested inlets from different mfgrs, the Michalak "sucker" is the best performing inlet at speeds under 160kph. Don't know 'bout you, but I don't often travel at those speeds :)

I believe it was to get the vehicle qualified as a microcar in germany. Apparantly they neeed to reduce the hp by 1 or 2 i think.

In my experience, having researched and tested inlets from different mfgrs, the Michalak "sucker" is the best performing inlet at speeds under 160kph. Don't know 'bout you, but I don't often travel at those speeds :)

Thank you for the feedbackharald

I believe it was to get the vehicle qualified as a microcar in germany. Apparantly they neeed to reduce the hp by 1 or 2 i think.

Faulty belief. There is no such classification, and because smart fortwos come in 4 different HP levels, that only makes this idea more absurd :lol:

Faulty belief. There is no such classification, and because smart fortwos come in 4 different HP levels, that only makes this idea more absurd :lol:
ah... thought it was absurd, not sure why i believed it...now why do they have the lip?

Probably the first line of defense against water ingress.

Not like a 800cc engine can move that much air anyways - be interesting to hook up manometer and see if it truly makes any difference - might do that - got a bunch of clear tubing around.

Cheers,

Cameron

The shape has a big part of it but its more to with air flow into the air box the lip slows the air so you don't get a air ram effect not great with a diesel engine and a turbo it may over rev the turbo system at high speed not to be a downer

Okay thanks for your reply could you maybe please use some punctuation in your posts so it doesn't sound like one long run-on sentence it makes you sound like Ralph Wiggum when you write posts like that kthxbye

I figure any momentary ram (over-pressure) effect is pretty much offset by: 1, the buffer of the volume of air in the airbox and hose in the tridion, and by 2, the turbo intake hose constriction. And I am skeptical in the extreme about any ram effect happening at all at legal speeds in this country.

And I am skeptical in the extreme about any ram effect happening at all at legal speeds in this country.

And so you should, with the diminished size of the the smart scoops available you would have to be travelling near on 400mph to get even the slightest ram air effect.

And so you should, with the diminished size of the the smart scoops available you would have to be travelling near on 400mph to get even the slightest ram air effect.

Although I don't want to hi-jack this thread, I was wondering what you're opinion is of the under-car intercooler scoop? The weather can get very hot here in the summer (35-40*C).

My sensor mad friend has one fitted to his car and noted an increased temperature within the engine bay when using the intercooler scoop available from s-smart.com

This was made worse when his viper induction kit was fead from the rear lip as it was stealing all the air and reducing the flow over the intercooler.

It is a conundrum that the intercooler heat exchanger is located where it is: heat from the charge air is transfered to the engine bay resulting in hot air flooding across the ECU and warming the inlet airbox. And the more efficient the radiator is at cooling the charge air, the more heat is sent to the engine bay!

Which begs the question of how to remove more heat from the bay. Does changing to a ventilated valance significantly reduce the engine bay temperature?

Can the valance be removed without taking off the rear panel?

And... uh... delipping is a good thing.

Does anyone remember RCTS's dyno test of delipping, air filters/no air filters and so forth?His conclusion was that there was no empirical benefit to be derived therefrom. However, the placebo effect could still be there..... ;)