Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stampy13

Good comebacks needed

135 posts in this topic

Similar to the smart jokes thread, I am looking for your best comebacks you use when someone insults/jokes about your smart.

I am likely going to need the best ones for when I show up to work the first day with it in a week or so.

I stick to the classic:

Bubba: Where is the rest of your car?

Me: Oh yeah?

S

I find it's best to just agree with them.

"Haha, won't it like, kill you in a crash?"

"Yeah, probably!" and smile. Stumps them. :)

-Iain

If anyone says anything about being in an accident with it, just look around and point out all of the motorcycles. I rather be hit in a smart car than a motorcycle. If the hassel you about your smart not being safe tell them to hassel all of the motorcycle riders as well.

Them: "Where's the rest of it" n'yuk, n'yuk!

Me: " I got it at a half-off sale." Pause. "I gotta pay more attention"

After that, it's: "no it's not electric", "In fact, I can change my mind when I'm inside", and "75 miles per gallon"

Or a big loud maniacal laugh!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, I nearly got in a fight when I did that, and then made a big production of pretending to write it down. :biglaugh:

Duck's : "Yeah, probably" might be modified to...

"I really hope so... who'd want to end up as a shattered vegetable on life support for thirty years?"

Less threatening to their sensibilities... (expressed confidentially, maybe even with an arm around their shoulders)...

"Look, I know that you're a good driver, and so you've probably noticed that there's a LOT of idiots out on the roads nowadays. Those guys are SO BAD they couldn't possibly hit something this small - even if they had a shotgun! So they only crash into BIG targets, like sedans, minivans, or SUV's...!"

Alternatively... (again, confidentially, and perhaps with a note of secrecy added to your voice...)

"It's a German Pod. Virtually indestructible. It is a military-strength steel roll-cage structure called 'Tridion', and the coloured plastic panels are simply clipped-on for aerodynamics and appearance. The car comes standard with 4 air-bags, ESP, DSP, T/C, and a 6-speed tranny... the list of contents goes on-and-on. It's built by Mercedes-Benz. But only REALLY GOOD drivers have the necessary confidence to understand the incredible science... These cars are really limited in supply, and not everyone can get one when they want one. I LOVE mine !!

:drive:

I get sick and tired sometimes of people buggin me about...

"Is that THING safe for use on the highway???"

I just tell them that it's built and designed by Mercedes Benz...

And that they just could NOT afford the bad press should people start dying in their cars!

Most people shut up right then and there!

Eddie

" Actually I perfer to drive it on the highway "

After 15-20 seconds of stupor you get that well thought out response: uh....reaLLY?

Usually baffles them for some reason.

I like to remind them that the car has a six speed transmission which is usually reserved for exotic sports cars. Do they really think six gears are for use in the city?

I just turn to them..smile sweetly..and ask them that thinking up these silly remarks probably keeps them occupied while they are standing there..at the gas station..pumping..pumping...this usually ends the conversation. I also find that once they have actually driven in my little Jack they shut up..of course..I won't let them drive it..its only for Smart people *giggling*

I usually just ask them how much their fill-up costs, and how far they can go on a tank.

The words "50+ miles per gallon" usually shuts a lot of people up, though more often than not, i get a response of "... is that good?"

But when you talk about dollars and cents, it usually hits home.

I usually just ask them how much their fill-up costs, and how far they can go on a tank.

The words "50+ miles per gallon" usually shuts a lot of people up, though more often than not, i get a response of "... is that good?"

But when you talk about dollars and cents, it usually hits home.

Yeah - 4 cents per kilometer is a definite conversation stopper :)

One sentance...

"I buy gas with pocket change and I don't care what the price per litre is any more."

DDR

"It's a Freight Liner escape pod!" (that was my reply when someone asked me what it was, he laughed)

I rarely address dumb comments, but with dumber ones. For the most part I haven't received many dumb comments at all. Windsor is an auto town, and we take cars seriously (helps that this is a Daimler-Chrysler product, they still manufacture Vehicals here) Among other things Windsorites love cars. Supporting a company that is employing a good bunch of people here in Windsor and having a vehical that is fun to drive, I'd say that's a win win.

By in large too I found Windsor and Hamilton people to be the easiest going most friendly people in Ontario.

Standing at the gas pump;

Guy: "Hey there Miss? What does that run off"

Jillian: Turns around as she's PUMPING diesel into it "Jet fuel"

In class:

Girl: "Wow! You own a smart! Do you go on the highway"

Jillian: "Haven't you heard that I can get killed if I get hit by a 14 wheeler!"

Other Girl

Girl: "What if you get hit my a transport"

Jillian: *Laughs* "What do you drive?"

Where's the rest?

"Hey there" - a teenage guy calls from his car "Where's the rest"

Jillian's friend: "DAMN IT! It must have fallen off again"

Speed

Person: "So does that go faster than 100?"

Jillian: "How does 160 sound?"

Cool 14-wheeler comment. ;)

Really what doesn't get creamed when you get hit by one of them?

I was chaperoning a school field trip and was talking with one of the other parents about this. He figures the vehicle he drives at work would come out best in a run-in with a semi - he is a tank commander at CFB Edmonton :-)

MG