Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TFM

The Great crash of '06 Discussions

If the data for the missing 3 days is recovered in the next 24 hours should the data from now to then be replaced with the recovered data?   91 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes. History is important. It must be saved. No mater what small amount is lost now.
    • No. Forget about it. We will make new history!
    • Whatever everyone else decides

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

Welcome back everyone. Sorry for the down time. I did everything I could. :puppy:

First the bad news:

All posts, images, NEW USERS, PM's etc from April 4th 10:43 PST are GONE. :cry2:

It would have all been gone if I didn't keep a "worst Case scenario" manual backup on my own hard drives.

What happened? Basically my business managed server company let me down. Big time. :scowl:

The so called 99.7% uptime guarantee, the automated redundant backup system & the Hard Drive RAID array were worthless in the hands of morons.

The data recovery effort is still underway but I'm not holding out much hope at this point. If it comes back tonight I can replace the 4 day old version with the 1 day old version, but after that... The boards will have diverged too much to put the two together.

I'll get into the details later but the short version is, we've been hurt, and it sucks but we can rebuild.

We've moved to a new serving company for the time being. One that has 9 years of positive feedback and a huge following. :BlahBlah: Once the new board meets they can decide how best to deal with where the club will live. More on that later.

I will update this as I get more info. I'm trying to make the forwarders right now to get this site online. :cheeky:

Update: I've added a vote to get the general feeling of what people want if the lost data should be recovered.

Oh? What about the good news you say? Well. Lets just say there are some GREAT new features available on the new server. :devil:

To recap:

Anything after April 4th 10:43PM PST is currently lost and presumed dead.

This includes:

New USERS (You'll have to sign up again. Your login name and password no longer exist.)

Posts (If you signed up for an event, please double check that your still signed up!)

PM's (PM's you sent MAY not have been read by the person you sent them to.)

Attachments (I recovered ALL the attachments up to one day before the crash. But it's not much help without the posts to link them.)

Club BANNER pics (I recovered all banner pics that were submitted but they were lost. Best re submit them in the Site Feedback.)

Also lost, and this just frosts me... Were the 3 hours of changes I did to the site the day it nuked. Like the Banner Submissions and the FAVICON! BAH

:dwarf:

More info to come.

If there is hope of getting back the data... I suggest posting a static "working on it" page and keeping the site closed until you recover as much data as you possibly can. This way, fewer posts will be permanently destroyed.

- Steven

I would really like the data to be recovered and to replace anything that might be posted until it is recovered. I sent a PM which I can't remember for the life of me which is quite important...plus all the information regarding our London meeting is gone and it's a shame because I want to make sure everyone is aware of smartdawg's farewell party this Thursday.

Thanks. I know exactly how hard hosting and running a system like this is. I found you have to do a MySQL restore before you have a crash to validate it really works. I was amazed how many attempts we had to do before we knew it was really working.

Congrats. Me, I say lets go and make history again

Not sure what is possible with the setup you have, but as a suggestion, the Apr 4 thru crash postings get put into a seperate forum, and people can cut/paste their posts (if the posts are considered important) back into the forums. That way the work is spread around. Can PM's be recovered?

Welcome back, and thanks to the people at www.mbcanada.com for the updates and explanations.

MG

So when do we get together to give you your sympathy beer?

Soonish for sure. Man. That was ugly. It took 3 hours to chop up and import the database from my backups.

I had a thought. I *COULD* create a temp site and pop up the latest backup (If it's ever found) so people could grab anything important and move it over here... That's a possibility.

Dean and Xandria,

Thanks again for doing all this and recovering what you could!

I am sure each section can reassemble the latest information so if it really is a huge undertaking to recover any more info from this point I would say leave it and lets move on.

S

Not sure what is possible with the setup you have, but as a suggestion, the Apr 4 thru crash postings get put into a seperate forum, and people can cut/paste their posts (if the posts are considered important) back into the forums. That way the work is spread around. Can PM's be recovered?

Welcome back, and thanks to the people at www.mbcanada.com for the updates and explanations.

MG

Heh heh, we had the same thought at the same time. Sweet. That's what I will do if it's recovered. That way we can have both!

Update: (Please see the URL link in the first message to the Site Feedback area where you can discuss the ongoing issues etc.)

Please let me know if there are any oddities with the site. I may have forgotten to set the permissions on a directory or two and this could cause errors.

I need to know about them. Thanks. :lover:

Thanks so much for putting in all the effort to get te site up and running again!! We are forever in your debt! :clapping:

Big huge thanks for TFM for getting us back up. Restores/Rebuilds are always always ugly, and I can imagine it took a huge amount of work.

Thanks again!

Dang

My daughter wanted to know if her pictures were still here, so I checked. The posts are still there, but the pictures give a 404 file not found error. (smart car sightings) I checked a couple of other forums, and same thing.

Example 404 File Not Found: The File files/spotting-07_603.jpg does not exist

from spinner Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:47 pm in http://www.clubsmartcar.com/forums/viewtop...=93&start=0

Missing symlink, maybe?

MG

My daughter wanted to know if her pictures were still here, so I checked. The posts are still there, but the pictures give a 404 file not found error. (smart car sightings) I checked a couple of other forums, and same thing.

from spinner Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:47 pm in http://www.clubsmartcar.com/forums/viewtop...=93&start=0

Missing symlink, maybe?

MG

hmmm... looking into it.

Hey Dean, post update alerts are being emailed as though they were from tfm @ akasa. bc. ca

You might want to change that. The return path is cscadmin @ payday.dreamhost. com, but that's not what's showing.

TNX to TFM, - well done ! :clapping:

... Oh? What about the good news you say? Well. Lets just say there

are some GREAT new features available on the new server....

I know, I know, the Chat is back :oh: ... isn't it ? I DO HOPE SO !

Aboute accentuated letters like å Å, ä Ä, ö Ö, ü Ü and so on ?

I would like to be called by my proper name - Kofångar-Lasse

Once again, Thanks for Your hard work on this site - Well Done !

Missing symlink, maybe?

MG

hmmm... looking into it.

Bah. They didn't even recover the data properly either. What a nightmare. I'm restoring what I have from a backup.

Glad you went with Dreamhost. I have been using them since 1995 and they just get better and better!

Since the club has a paypal account for payment for the t-shirts, can we use that to send donations to you?? I feel like it's time I ponied up a few $$ to help this thing keep going!

Bil Gladstone

glad to be back...

Glad you went with Dreamhost. I have been using them since 1995 and they just get better and better!

Since the club has a paypal account for payment for the t-shirts, can we use that to send donations to you?? I feel like it's time I ponied up a few $$ to help this thing keep going!

Bil Gladstone

glad to be back...

Hold off on that stuff. This site has the ability to allow people to donate directly to the dreamhost account. Lets solve the current hassles first.

Tuesday, April 11 2006

Hello,

This is in regards to the crashed server transfer, many accounts have been affected by the server crash. At this point we spoke with the server administration team in regards to database backups and restoration. The data that has been restored is all the data that was able to have been recovered. We do not have anything else. We realize this has affected many accounts and databases, we apologize for the ongoing issues. We are working our hardest to try and get everything we can back up and running properly. Those who have any local backups will need to restore their sites/databases with those backups. Thank you.

Support.

Oh joy! Thanks guys. Thanks a lot! :steamed: So it's not looking good for the 3 days of missing data.