Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TFM

The Great crash of '06 Discussions

If the data for the missing 3 days is recovered in the next 24 hours should the data from now to then be replaced with the recovered data?   91 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes. History is important. It must be saved. No mater what small amount is lost now.
    • No. Forget about it. We will make new history!
    • Whatever everyone else decides

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

Three days is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. There's no sense in blowing your brains out trying to recover non-critical data. As long as we've still got all the FAQs and How-Tos, we haven't lost anything major. Just cut our losses and move forward. Keep up the good work!

Amazing job getting the site back up and running you guys, Kudo's all around. Now I can go back to my morning ritual of browsing and coffee. This site is so much more fun, informative and useful than any newspaper ever could be. Thanks :clapping:

Thanks to all for the tireless work to get us back up and running, I am sure from all accounts that it was a great effort of biblical proportions.

Its really quite amazing how much I miss it here when its gone.... We really have a fabulous growing community here and I missed everyone.

Hum.. now I can get away with everything I said in the Past. :devil:

This might have some advantages :biglaugh:

Peep :bustamove:

The good news is this should be the last of the bad news.

The bad news is is that in my manual backups I totally forgot about the attachments (the dir is over 300 MEGS).

I had a manual backup from JAN 03/06 that was complete. Everything after that is only 10% complete.

I'm sorry. I kept backups of the banners and the DB's but it slipped my mind that the files dir was needing backups.

What does this mean? This means that some people images and files that were attached to posts will be missing.

If the attachments are important I urge everyone to contact their forum mod to make arrangements to re-attach the lost data.

Be sure I will not make this error again. :scowl:

Again, I'm sorry for the difficulties caused by my choice of server service. :glum:

Another old computer adage:

"To err is human,

to make a mistake and blame it on the ISP is even more human"

We really do appreciate all of the work that goes into this site, and all of the work involved in the recovery. I have had experience with system crashes and limited time/resources to fix things (never mind the managers hovering and everyone who has my phone number calling), so I think I can understand just how much fun these past few daze have been.

MG

"At DreamHost, we know everybody's data is important, no matter what plan they're on. That's why all our packages include full backup "snapshots" of your data at various regular intervals (two hourly, two daily, and two weekly). If you accidentally delete an important file, you can restore it yourself or let our customer service team know right away and we'll do our best to recover it in a recent state for you! Of course, you should ALWAYS keep your OWN backup copies of everything of any importance to you no matter what. But we'll do our best to make sure you never need them!

Steps for restoring data on your own :

1. cd into the hidden directory named .snapshot (it will not show up in any directory listing at all, but it's there)

2. Choose how far back you would like to go ( hourly.0 is one hour ago, hourly.1 is two hours ago, nightly.0 is one day ago, nightly.1 is two days ago, weekly.0 it one week ago, weekly.1 is two weeks ago )

3. Copy the restored file to where you want it. You're done! "

Sweet. This should cover us. Of course I will still make my own backups weekly but I've tested this and the backups DO exist on the server in plain files! Sweet. :cheeky:

TFM time to get your eyes uncrossed and give your fingers and mind a rest, it's time for a little fun (no Xan not that fun) so get out there and take those new wheels for a spin.

:clapping:

Thanks Dean for keeping the server in tip top shape.

I can't imagine running it day to day, but restoring the backups must be even more hard work.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Another little hiccup there. I think most people missed it. Glad to see things are intact!

Bad luck, they had the first big issue in like months and months. But these guys are on the ball. Look what came in our mail.

Subject: [alecar1 7122139] [Announcement] Network Outage

Dear Dreamhost Customers,

We are currently experiencing a fairly major network outage that is affecting a good portion of you. We're not sure yet what the problem is but we're working as quickly as we can to identify and correct it.

The outage could be affecting your website(s) and/or email accessibility.

Please check http://status.dreamhost.com for further updates.

We do apologize for this inconvenience and ask you to bear with us while we get this sorted out.

DreamHost Network Down Team!

---------------------------------------------------------------

The preceding was a Downtime announcement, sent 2006-04-12 18:20:58.

They keep us informed. It's a good sign.

Yeah that is promising, communication is the key to decent service.

Thanks Dean!

PS: can I borrow your wheels? ;)

Yeah that is promising, communication is the key to decent service.

Thanks Dean!

PS: can I borrow your wheels? ;)

You like my wheels?

I'll give 'em back, real soon, like ;)

This is my first chance to say thank you for all you hard work.

Thanks again

Di :clapping:

Imagine my surprise when I came back home and went to check out what I had missed. You leave town for a few days and everything falls apart LOL. I suggest that this is a good time to start fresh and move onwards and upwards. Thanks for all you are doing for us, it is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Hey Dean,

Thanks for going through all that for us. Reminds me I have to have a chat with our server team when I get back about a task I gave them before I left.

Do you publicly want to say who our former host was? I would be interested so I could steer folks away from them.

May the computer Gods smile on you the rest of the year!

Cheers,

Cameron

Thankyou Dean and anyone else who helped get this forum back up I sure need it with our car in the shop for another two weeks. We appreciate all your hard work.

Karen and Jake :clapping: