Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartzuuk

The Green Car Company - Seattle

21 posts in this topic

I have posted a recap of my visit to The Green Car Company on Sunday April 9th.

You can read it here.

There are pictures of the G&K/Zap gasoline smart modifications.

meh... I still prefer a gray market smart... especially seeing all of the ugly bolt-on side reflectors/lights our US versions have

Has 100mpg.ca been down several times over the last week or two? Either it's completely unreachable here or I have picked the wrong times to access it.

I'm on Sympatico HSE in Toronto.

I'm using sympatico hs and it won't come up for me. Maybe it's an Ontario thing?

I called it in. It's not accessible at all through Sympatico (dial-up and broadband), at least through the routers that presumably Glenn and I are using. The technical support I called was able to access it through an external connection, so they're going to escalate the problem.

Hmm... I have no idea what would cause that - my site is hosted by a reputable provider. Oh well... hope you get in sometime.

We had a situation at work where I could not access the web site for a local school district. I was on the phone with a secretary at one of the schools, and mentioned their district site being down. She accessed it and said it was fine, so I looked into it from our end. It turned out that our DNS server had an old root server list. Updated the list, and it worked fine.

The way to test for this is to use nslookup to get the ip address of the site. If your DNS cannot find the site, that is probably the problem. Point the nslookup to a different server and try again. When you find the address, put it in your local hosts file. If it works then, contact your ISP and let them know that they have a poisoned root cache (root server list out of date) It can be fixed on-line, and the DNS outage is only a couple of seconds.

FYI, 100mpg.ca is 216.193.224.73 and with Shaw internet in Edmonton there is no problem accessing the site.

MG

The first thing I'd be doin' is ripping out that padding....

Here is G & K's web site - if you wonder who is doing all the mods - kind of neat - they have the smart on the opening page. Not sure if it would be simpler to start with a Cnd car and swap the engine or go the route they do and add all the Cnd features.

SmartieYank went over all the changes they have to make - trivial yet time and money consuming.

http://www.gnkauto.com

Cheers,

Cameron

They've converted 8000 vehicles in 27 years....that doesn't bode well for a plethora of ZAP smarts hitting US streets.....

ok... so if I buy a euro gas smart, , add reflectors all over the damned thing, replace the headlights with aftermarket projectors for the Euro or CDN market, staple some pillows to the roof and a-pillar, and add Miles on the speedometer with a white-out pen, it'll be legal for US road use.

YAY!

ok... so if I buy a euro gas smart, , add reflectors all over the damned thing, replace the headlights with aftermarket projectors for the Euro or CDN market, staple some pillows to the roof and a-pillar, and add Miles on the speedometer with a white-out pen, it'll be legal for US road use.

YAY!

In the long run, it may be just simpler to move to Canada. ;)

-Iain

Well, yeah, more or less. I think the doors are reinforced too.

The doors for the Canadian model are reinforced. Something to do with side impact regs.

MG

YAY!

In the long run, it may be just simpler to move to Canada. ;)

-Iain

Well, if I could find a nice Canadian girl to marry, I'd be all up for it ;) You know any that are willing to help out a crazy american?

I've been seeing a girl from Ottawa lately who is here on an internship, and... err... I'm kinda glad she's moving to Alberta in August.

Did you ever see the Eddie Murphy film, Coming to America? That's gonna be me.

*picks the 2 largest canadian cities closest to me*

Toronto or Montreal?

*flips a coin*

Heads Toronto, Tails Montreal

*looks*

Heads. Toronto it is.

*looks for an appropriate suburb name, since there isn't a Queens, ON*

Mississauga it is. Miss Issauga. That'll do.

I'm off to Mississauga to find me a wife!

and SCENE!