Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TFM

CsC Test site

92 posts in this topic

Very cool indeed.

I'm looking to perhaps use Joomla for a client who needs an intranet site done, and it will also include a discussion forum (likely phpBB as well).

Are the templates able to me modified with just CSS changes? And do you plan to use two separate databases (one for the main site content and another for the forums) or is it better to merge them into one?

Just curious...

Very cool indeed.

I'm looking to perhaps use Joomla for a client who needs an intranet site done, and it will also include a discussion forum (likely phpBB as well).

Are the templates able to me modified with just CSS changes? And do you plan to use two separate databases (one for the main site content and another for the forums) or is it better to merge them into one?

Just curious...

I'm looking at a couple of mods to make the forums db's the master and that in turn populate the joomla db's for users.

Still testing that part out.

Sorry I'm late chiming in but here it goes:1st impression... way cool.Now on with the con crit:1. Colours. Rather than the rust red text/links (which is nice), what about a nice bright blue... akin to say a smart blue?2. Articles and linkage. Let's not recreate the wheel. I love having the articles and news clips with relevant links to forum areas! Spot on!3. Main Menu items. (a) What are news feeds? How do they work? What benefit are they?(B) The Grandstyle. Any reason this has a menu all on its own instead of say being under a new menu like "Articles" or existing one "News"?© I'd like to see an area called "Articles" for people who write articles about the smart etc.(d) FAQ -- I really want to work on this section some time ;-)(e) An area for "Members" for those who want a page about them, their car, pictures, yadda yadda.(f) When you click on FAQ it goes to the first one. I think it'd be best to see a list of all FAQs rather than people clicking on NEXT to find what they're looking for.4. Rotating banners and cycling images -- AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!5. Instead of the word "advertisement" above the rotating banners, how about another tag line (i.e. "member images") or just nothing at all displayed there (text wise). 6. Dark gray background... can that be lightened a bit? Match the tridion silver LOL. But I think just a little lighter might work. Not sure.Looking good!!! Thank you, Simon, for all your hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm late chiming in but here it goes:

1st impression... way cool.

Now on with the con crit:

1. Colours. Rather than the rust red text/links (which is nice), what about a nice bright blue... akin to say a smart blue?

2. Articles and linkage. Let's not recreate the wheel. I love having the articles and news clips with relevant links to forum areas! Spot on!

3. Main Menu items.

(a) What are news feeds? How do they work? What benefit are they?

(B) The Grandstyle. Any reason this has a menu all on its own instead of say being under a new menu like "Articles" or existing one "News"?

© I'd like to see an area called "Articles" for people who write articles about the smart etc.

(d) FAQ -- I really want to work on this section some time ;-)

(e) An area for "Members" for those who want a page about them, their car, pictures, yadda yadda.

(f) When you click on FAQ it goes to the first one. I think it'd be best to see a list of all FAQs rather than people clicking on NEXT to find what they're looking for.

4. Rotating banners and cycling images -- AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Instead of the word "advertisement" above the rotating banners, how about another tag line (i.e. "member images") or just nothing at all displayed there (text wise).

6. Dark gray background... can that be lightened a bit? Match the tridion silver LOL. But I think just a little lighter might work. Not sure.

Looking good!!! Thank you, Simon, for all your hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I need. The template has its limitation, I'll see what I can do. Thank you!

[xan]1. Colours. Rather than the rust red text/links (which is nice), what about a nice bright blue... akin to say a smart blue?

[simon] its hidden in the index.php I'll find it.[xan]2. Articles and linkage. Let's not recreate the wheel. I love having the articles and news clips with relevant links to forum areas! Spot on!

[simon] thanks

3. Main Menu items.

(a) What are news feeds? [simon] do not know How do they work? [simon] do not know What benefit are they? [simon] its gone now

(B) The Grandstyle. [simon] it is part of playing with it to see what can be done. Any reason this has a menu all on its own instead of say being under a new menu like "Articles" or existing one "News"? [simon] it is done

© I'd like to see an area called "Articles" for people who write articles about the smart etc.[simon]done

(d) FAQ -- I really want to work on this section some time [simon] I am delighted. if you need help don't hesitate to call

(e) An area for "Members" for those who want a page about them, their car, pictures, yadda yadda. [simon]what do you want to call it on the title?

(f) When you click on FAQ it goes to the first one. I think it'd be best to see a list of all FAQs rather than people clicking on NEXT to find what they're looking for. [simon] I'll test to see whether it is possible.[simon] done

4. Rotating banners and cycling images -- AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Instead of the word "advertisement" above the rotating banners, how about another tag line (i.e. "member images") or just nothing at all displayed there (text wise). [simon] gone

6. Dark gray background... can that be lightened a bit? Match the tridion silver LOL. But I think just a little lighter might work. Not sure.

[simon] changed to cccccc

Dear, Simon: I want to marry you and have your babies... kidding. But I'll take your rims 'n rubber ;-)1. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like with blue. Let me know when you find it ;-)2. Articles is a great area. When I have time I'll trawl the forums for some of the great stories that are out there that deserve a special note ;-)3. Same as above re FAQ.4. I think just "Members" would work fine for a menu heading/description.5. Background is tonnes better. Really brightens it up.6. Can we use the same login from the forum to this joomla?7. I'm presuming we can give mods access to update events, news etc.?8. Contact Us... image is broken. I'd say just leave name, tele, fax etc. off and use it as a contact form. Who gets the e-mails? I think once the BoD is formed, the e-mail should go to Publicist.9. How-to... goes to latest news. Perhaps just pick a couple of the popular How-to with links to the threads in the forums. Use this just as a starter. I'll happily flesh it out later.10. Can we change CsC Disclaimer to just "Disclaimer" for consistency.Loving it. Wow, it's really shaping up. I'm so stoked by this now!!! Thank you thank you!!!!I'll help with content over the next while as time permits. At the moment I'm in the middle of rewriting a 300 page tech manual, putting it all in InDesign, revamping our company website plus other things ;-) Once I have some REAL time again, I'll happily wade in, roll up my sleeves and get cracking. Simon, you've done an awesome job with this. You've done what I so could not do (I can't believe today I forgot how to create a new CSS style in Dreamweaver... mind, my migraine wreaked havoc on my ability to think).Again, Simon, I'm excited and thank you for this. You're shaping up the dream Dean and I originally envisioned WAY BACK WHEN...Cheers. I owe you a fine beverage!

6. Can we use the same login from the forum to this joomla? [simon]talk to your hubby, he is working on this

7. I'm presuming we can give mods access to update events, news etc.? [simon]yep

8. Contact Us... image is broken. I'd say just leave name, tele, fax etc. off and use it as a contact form. Who gets the e-mails? I think once the BoD is formed, the e-mail should go to Publicist.

9. How-to... goes to latest news. Perhaps just pick a couple of the popular How-to with links to the threads in the forums. Use this just as a starter. I'll happily flesh it out later.

10. Can we change CsC Disclaimer to just "Disclaimer" for consistency. [simon] done

That's looking so hot, Simon! Thank you. Ahhh yes, I'll be speaking with the hubby... I think we still speak... ;-)I think it's time for bed though.

[xan]1. Colours. Rather than the rust red text/links (which is nice), what about a nice bright blue... akin to say a smart blue?

[simon] its hidden in the index.php I'll find it.

Simon, I don't think it'd be in the index.php file. Have a look in /templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/css/template_css.css

By changing each instance of the red colours in the CSS file (I think the regular text is #c64934, and the darker hover colour is #990000) to a blue and a darker blue, you'll get the new scheme. Maybe #000099 and #000066 would work?

The roll-overs on the menus bars may need to be done graphically, however. That's likely the menu_bg.png in the template's images folder.

If you're using Dreamweaver, this extension may be of some help if you don't already have it:

http://www.mambosolutions.com/content/view/12/93/

(the Joomla extension is at the bottom of the page)

1. Colours. Rather than the rust red text/links (which is nice), what about a nice bright blue... akin to say a smart blue?

DangerDan is right. it is in the template_css.css, but the way they group the text, you need to change at least 2 places to make the text colour to change, you ended up changing too much text in blue not just the link. I have to dig deeper. :cry2:

The blue is much nicer. Now is there any way we can get the mouse over highlight on the menu bar to also be red (instead of the rust)? Now this may affect the mouse-over on regular links too as those also show up in rust.

What I can tell as it is now:

Active links = blue

Mouse over = rust

Visited links = purple

I'm wondering how it would look with all linking action as blue (mouse-over and visited)? Is that possible?

If I'm taking this too far, let me know. I can be... uhhh... anal.

But that's really looking SWEET!!!!

The blue is much nicer. Now is there any way we can get the mouse over highlight on the menu bar to also be red (instead of the rust)? Now this may affect the mouse-over on regular links too as those also show up in rust.

What I can tell as it is now:

Active links = blue

Mouse over = rust

Visited links = purple

I'm wondering how it would look with all linking action as blue (mouse-over and visited)? Is that possible?

If I'm taking this too far, let me know. I can be... uhhh... anal.

But that's really looking SWEET!!!!

that bothers me also. I am going to explore further

That looks hot, Simon! Great colour choice for roll-overs. Only one teensy thing though... the menu bar on the left still highlights as rust on roll over. Would this colour be in some crazy buried style sheet somewhere? Perhaps with the other colour settings for the nav bar? I'm not trying to nitpick too much (honest). After that, it'll be a matter of fleshing it out a bit and inviting people to add content ;-)

Try this, Simon. Replace the attached PNG file with the one of the same name in /templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/images/ and it'll make the rollovers blue. The CSS tells the file to shift by 25 pixels when moused-over, hence the grey top, blue bottom set-up.

I've just put this together quickly, so you can tweak the blue a bit better if you like, but that's the idea.

post-20-1147537762.png

That looks hot, Simon! Great colour choice for roll-overs. Only one teensy thing though... the menu bar on the left still highlights as rust on roll over. Would this colour be in some crazy buried style sheet somewhere? Perhaps with the other colour settings for the nav bar? I'm not trying to nitpick too much (honest). After that, it'll be a matter of fleshing it out a bit and inviting people to add content ;-)

This is the only way to get it perfect! its on my hot list. its hidden somewhere difficult to find that sucker.

Try this, Simon. Replace the attached PNG file with the one of the same name in /templates/rhuk_solarflare_ii/images/ and it'll make the rollovers blue. The CSS tells the file to shift by 25 pixels when moused-over, hence the grey top, blue bottom set-up.

I've just put this together quickly, so you can tweak the blue a bit better if you like, but that's the idea.

Thanks Dan, you are the greatest! :clapping:

The blue roll over for the top menu and side menu don't match. Should they?

Thanks Dan, you are the greatest! :clapping:

No sweat, glad to help. I just happen to be messing around with this Joomla stuff lately as well.