Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred J

Has anyone changed their transmission fluid yet?

142 posts in this topic

Bumpiness and...

Has anyone gotten a definate answer from MB yet about our tranny fluid?

Just like there is good reason not to deviate from the manufacturer's recommended motor oil, the same must be for the tranny oil for one reason or another...

My warranty will be up in the next couple of weeks when I return from BC & USA (leave Saturday), and I would DEFINATELY like to change my fluid. A consistent 3,000rpm downshift must mean it takes a BEATING on a daily basis...

I'll ring up my dealership again and see if they can shed some light for me...

Eddie

Definitive answer on? D21065, apparently available in 20L pails for $250.00. With or without ATF red dye... I am not sure.

30,000 kms later on Mobil ATF, and no known issues. Which reminds me. Time to change it again.

I changed mine at 20,000kms with Amsoil Synthetic ATF. I removed the drivers side rear wheel which gave easy access to the drain plugs. The old fluid was fairly silver in colour indicating the presence of metal shavings during the break in period.

1 person likes this

I'm coming up to the 60,000 kilometre mark on mine and I would like to change it before the winter hits.

So the consensus (?) then is just straight Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic or Amsoil synthetic ATF?

By the way - thanks for the thread! I have been thinking about this as of late.

I did the Mobile 1 Synth ATF at 32K. I am about 27K later and it works great. I'll do again at 64K which isn't that far off as I am driving to North Carolina next weekend

So the consensus (?) then is just straight Mobil 1 0W40 synthetic or Amsoil synthetic ATF?

Take your pick. Use whichever gives you the warmer, fuzzier feeling.

Some people are fans of other brands, ie. Castrol, etc. and they may prefer to stick with their favourite brand. They all make excellent products.

Whichever you choose will be just fine and a big improvement over the abrasive contaminated factory fill that smart says to leave in for the life of the car.

IMHO.

The smart document I show up top references the Castrol product. If you look at the document it is a long list of approved products. That is an older list and doesn't include any of the newer products

I'm coming up to the 60,000 kilometre mark on mine and I would like to change it before the winter hits.

By the way - thanks for the thread! I have been thinking about this as of late.

Looks like it's down to either of these two:

Mobile1 synthetic ATF. THIS ONE

AMSOIL Synthetic ATF. THIS ONE

B:sun:

Ok I'm headed into Autorola here in Edmonton tomorrow...

They're a specialty German vehicle parts store that carries a lot of hard to find items...

And I'll end up picking up one of two ATF fluids from them:

• or...

ELF's Elfmatic G3 Syn

They both make good products. And the only real difference seems to be that Motul seems to retain its viscosity better during different temperatures...

Regardless of whichever one I grab (probably ELF cause Autorola's put 5 bottles aside for me), I'm assuming that it SHOULD be better than the stock mineral fluid we are using. If it is a mineral based, that is...

Eddie

Thanx to Keith...I am running the Elfmatic G3 Syn transmission fluid, and am QUITE pleased with the results...The hard grab and let go you get in stop and go traffic (#1 Highway between Fraser Valley and Vancouver) is gone... And cold weather performance is MUCH smoother...My smoother upshifts are confusing me though...Because we do have a dry clutch, a fluid change shouldn't make much difference shift wise... I think...And the old fluid was DISGUSTING!!!I highly recommend people change out their transmission fluid... There's NO WAY it's a lifetime fluid like MB says... Unless they wanna warranty transmissions for lfe...Eddie

Here is Eddie's tranny fluid analysis for 83,452 kms - the fluid had been in his car since new.

I was quite particular on pulling this sample. It was pulled from the filler hole using a clean hose, and a proper fluid extractor, and the car was still warm... so the fluid would be very representative of what fluid (and particles) would be in suspension.

Page one shows my own cars analysis result for 64,107 kms on the original fluid.

The indicated wear could be typical - it may be no big deal...

I have a test result expected shortly for 29162 kms - on Mobil 1 ATF - and I asked for a particle count as well... so that may be a better indicator of 'normal wear' in the tranny. The PPM will tell all. It will also be interesting to see the 'non-wear' ppm counts of the oil itself. (Or not... I'm sure some of you are scratching your heads by now...)

Edited by FlossyTheSmart
removing broken attachment

EXCESS LARGE PARTICULATE IN SAMPLE. ** VERY ELEVATED SILICON & WEAR METAL READINGS **

What was the MB claim again? That we needn't change the OEM 'lifetime' transmission fluid?Bil :sun:

Here's my tranny fluid analysis for 29162 kms on Mobil 1 ATF. A much improved reading I think, based on ppm/1000kms than any of the other posted readings... I'm curious to see some particle counts of non-wear elements, since this is a different oil than spec. (Spec is D21065 - a virtually impossible to find Dexron II variant... that might be available in 20 litre pails for $250 from your local MB dealer...)Perhaps the Mobil 1 is okay...Based on the analysis - everything is much better, except I note the oxidation and sulfation is higher, as is Calcium and Phosphorus. I really would prefer the D21065, since MB spec it, but the answer was slow coming, and only a week later did MB service say 20L pails are all that is available, for $250!! Which is an okay price per litre, but seriosuly, 20 litres - when will I use that up, save that I go into the smart lube business.

Edited by FlossyTheSmart
removing broken attachment

I've just returned from Flying Tiger developments in Richmond, BC, where FastEddy waved his magic wand over my wee smartie. Amongst the items on today's list was changing the transmission fluid. I brought along two litres of the ELFmatic GIII synthetic transmission oil.

On the way back to Kelowna I marvelled at the s i l k y s m o o t h shifting! I wouldn't have believed the amazing difference but there it was... smooth and quick; not jerky or hesitant at all.

Thanks FastEddy for the record-setting workshop session, and thanks |Eddie|Eddie|Eddie| for sourcing the ELF! One very happy motorist here ;)

Bil :sun:

Decided to do an oil change at 1500k as all previous vehicles I've had were supposed to have an initial change well before that and I just can't bear the thought of not changing the oil for 8000k or in our case probably 1 year. Went well although I've already ordered the spin-on adaptor kit as the OEM filter is pathetic.In addition, I decided to service the transmission with fresh fluid using Mobil 1 ATF. I was quite surprised to note that the OEM fluid was red and not colourless as some others have stated. Think I'll follow Evilution's suggestion to change it every third oil change from now on which will be every 4000k or so.From a performance aspect, during a test drive following the above procedures every shift kept getting smoother and smoother etc.My recommendation is that if you haven't changed your transmission fluid yet, DO IT!

12,000 kms for tranny oil change is a bit overkill, but it'll be clean at least.The original tranny fluid in the car is probably a purplish red when it is new (1500 kms is pretty new). Some people have seen the D21065 spec fluid without any colour in it, including myself... the problem is actually acquiring said fluid for less than $40 a litre of $250 a bucket.

Decided to do an oil change at 1500k as all previous vehicles I've had were supposed to have an initial change well before that and I just can't bear the thought of not changing the oil for 8000k or in our case probably 1 year. Went well although I've already ordered the spin-on adaptor kit as the OEM filter is pathetic.My recommendation is that if you haven't changed your transmission fluid yet, DO IT!

Now that is interesting. I certainly agree with the Tranny fluid change but they say the engine oil is a special "breakin oil" and should not be changed prematurely. I know what you mean by previous vehicles as I felt the same but this one is suppose to be different. True too the original filter is hardly worth the space it takes up.Retired RCAF

Only oil analysis will help confirm how good or bad a filter might be... and even then...By all accounts, these spin-ons *should* be good for 25,000 kms, like the Amsoil etc... I wonder if those folks running them toss the filter at every change, or just drop the oil out and reinstall?

A friend of mine who is a service advisor for Boundary Rd. Mercedes-Benz (used to carry Smart but the lot is not big enough) told me that the "special break-in" oil is a urban legend.

... used to carry Smart but the lot is not big enough ...

Isn't this a paradox or something? A lot not big enough for smart's? :biglaugh: I just change my oil when the car tells me to.I should probably do the tranny fluid with the next oil change. We're at 45K kms now, and the next oil change is around 52 or 53K.

I had mine changed at 57K km at Three Point Motors.

I have an oil change coming up at 30K so I think I'll change mine then just because its the first time and to get out anything left over from the breakin period. It will be my first time to get all 4 wheels in the air at the same time.lebikerboy; your sales advisor buddy could be right but from highschool shop class I know there are special oils for working metals so I prefere to believe this possible "urban legend". Thought I brought a werewolf home one day though, but it turned out to be just a cougar. :lol: RCAF