Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred J

Has anyone changed their transmission fluid yet?

142 posts in this topic

The smart uses a sequential manual transmission. The clutch is actuated electrically instead of by your foot. If you have a 450, it uses ATF, plain and simple. Many modern manual transmissions use ATF instead of gear oil.

Dennis,

People who take the time to answer questions from other members, generally do a lot of research beforehand so they know what they are talking about, and kindly provide links to that information.

If you had bothered to follow the link I provided to your Noisy Turbocharger question you would know the answer as to what fluid the transmission uses.

For the third time, here is the link about how to service the transmission.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/index.php?id=305

CANMAN

Thanks for the info. Very useful information. I'll point my service person to it for the next service.Ish.

Stopped into CTC this afternoon and picked up 2 litres of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...thetic_ATF.aspx

Came home and did the fluid change with no issues.

Also did the '3-in-1' white lithium grease spray into the actuator.

Nice and smooth (and faster) shifting on my quick test drive....

Dale

Yes...Max ATF is recommended in vehicles requiring any of these automatic transmission fluids: Allison: C-4, TES-295, TES-389 Audi G-052-025-A2 BMW: LA2634, LT71141 Chrysler: ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4 Chrysler ATF+2 Type 7176 Ford: MERCON, MERCON V GM 9986195 GM: DEXRON, DEXRON-II, DEXRON-IID, DEXRON-IIIG, DEXRON-IIIH Honda ATF-Z1 (except in CVT's) Hyundai: SP-II, SP-III JWS 3309 Kia: SP-II, SP-III MAN 339F Mercedes Benz 236.x Mitsubishi Diamond: SP-II, SP-III Nissan: Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K Subaru ATF-HP Toyota: Type T, T-III, T-IV Voith: 55.6335.3x (G607), H55.6336.3x (G1363) Volvo: 97340 (Construction Equipment), 4-6 Speed AT VW TL52162 ZF: TE-ML 14B, TE-ML 16L, TE-ML 17C

Thoughts on RP Synchromax? I see it comes in a handy bottle with a spout that ought to make it easy to fill the trans. I used RP MaxATF about 18 months ago and then switched to M1/ATF this winter and find that with the M1, there is definitely a bit of trans. noise that wasn't there with RP! So I want to switch back to RP. Just looking at the convenience of the easy-pour bottle.

Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissionsthat specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil.It is also ideal for transfer cases and 2-cycle motorcyclegear boxes.Synchromax is formulated with Royal Purple’s synthetic,proprietary Synerlec additive technology, offeringimproved shift quality over a wide temperature range andreduced gear noise.Synchromax is fully compatible with all types of frictionmaterials and offers excellent corrosion and oxidationprotection without affecting the soft metals commonlyfound in manual transmission synchronizers.

B :sun:

If the transaxle is making extra noise, it's not a good sign!

It was virtually silent with the RP. After changing it out with Mobil 1, I can hear it a little bit. Not sure if I'd call it extra noise - just an ordinary transmission-sounding sound where I got used to no sound.

I am expecting (hoping, wanting) it to go away again after we switch back to RP.

I can't hear the transaxles in either of my cars, one having exactly 230,000 km on it today! Is it like gear whine, or final drive whine?

My hearing is not great (especially the left ear by the window), and I'm not a very sophisticated listener either, but I would say it sounds to me like final drive, varying as the speed of the car rather than as per the gears or engine speed...

There don't appear to be any unusual driveway drops to suggest a seal leaking. So... :dunno: ... I suppose it could be wheel bearing noise too, but its appearance immediately after changing the trans oil is suggestive.

I guess I will learn more once the fluid is changed again. I'll also be able to inspect it better when it's up on the hoist. I'm saving this to do at the same visit when we switch to summer wheels.

Thanks for that, cousin :) I knew someone in here had mentioned it. B :sun:

RP ATF on board again, plus 100ml of ZX1. A 2,000km road trip and man it is s m o o t h as a baby's ... well, everything on a baby is smooth, right?

Bil B)

I have change mine before summer, and i use the Mobile Super ATF D/M. This is a good one ??

Sure :dunno: I've settled on my choice , but there are lots of suitable fluids. Like Mike says, "Don't worry. Be happy!"

Bil :sun:

BTW, I also added a little ZX1 since I tried it in the engine and I believe it actually did some good.