Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fred J

Has anyone changed their transmission fluid yet?

142 posts in this topic

If you have had it changed, was it done by the dealer or as a DIY?

Do you know what fluid was used?

At what milage was it done?

Interesting article about fluid replacement. The way I read it, unless there's a problem, transmission fluid shouldn't be replaced any more frequently than every 30,000 miles.

I'm going to change mine shortly, perhaps this weekend so I can get rid of whatever is in there now and replace it with Amsoil, just like I did with the engine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I changed mine today and wrote up a how-to manual on it. Not tough to do and the tools are cheap. The only things you need is an 8mm Allen Key socket and a suction gun. See the attachment for full instructions. If anyone finds any mistakes or suggestions, please tell me and I will work on it

Edited by FlossyTheSmart
Attachment was lost

The search doesn't seem to be working....what are the various approved fluids for the transaxle?

This is one of the specs I found before. I don't remember how I got to Mobile 1 Synth except that the specs match the Castrol (as I recall). I did the work finding the ATF some time ago and bought it.

Transmission_oil_specs.pdf

What fluid does our cars come with stock?

Does our fluid get checked at all in our A or B services?

I'm gonna head on out for a drive and paruse thru the manual later tonight to see what the change interval recommended by smart is... But if it's not listed, how often should we change it?

Has anyone gotten it changed thru the dealer before, and if so... Knows the cost?

After reading about Fred's results in another thread, I'm kinda worried about my transmission and it's fluid.

I have 20,000km more than Fred and for the most part, my car is driven lightly... The only exception is that since day one, I've been downshifting from the limit - 3000rpm.

If Fred's tranny fluid had some contaminates and other crud in there... Mine's DEFINATELY gonna be burnt and worn!

Eddie

My German workshop manual refers to a Gear Oil standard of MB 235.10, which isn't the specs I see on Rich's download.....

I have requested a once and for all definitive answer...

In the meantime - I'll taste the fluid in the am and make a best guess - so long as it is reddish...

The question was asked here as well:

http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forums/showthrea...ht=transmission

Now don't even get me going on Dexron II versus Dexron III

D-21065 was listed as the spec somewhere online, which through other searching, shows up as an Esso Dexron II specification - which is no longer available here in NA. The Mobil1 ATF doesn't reference Dexron II in that particular product - although another Mobil1 ATF product does reference Dexron II E.

This from Mercedes Canada:

'Please note the recommended

transmission fluid for the smart fortwo is ATF DEXRON D-21065, quantity:

1.4 litres. Simply contact the parts department of your nearest smart

Centre for pricing and availability of the transmission fluid.'

I was not advised what # of Mercedes spec is utilized.

It was certainly ATF in the getrag - mothboll smell, and quite silty and dirty looking at that, but with a slightly purplish colour to it.

And 1.4 litres is very exact, BTW.

I am awaiting a more in depth reply from Getrag...

1.4L is exactly when I found also. If you were to jack up the back of the car only, you could change the fluid by putting in 1.4L rather than until it overflows. With the back up in the air, it could hold more. The position of the drain plug wouldn't be a problem just the top drain is higher.

One nice thing is the Mobile 1 ATF has a clear level on the side so that you can see how much is left. I emptied 1L, dumped the small amount left in the first jug into the full second jug and pulled in until 600ml was left in the jug.

Ok this is getting a little confusing having three seperate topics about the transmission open. Keith, in another thread said that the spec for our ATF was Dexron II-D. In another PDF off here, from Rich I think... He references Mobil 1 ATF. After looking on www.mobil1.com I think that is Dexron III fluid. Now I'm curious, can we use Dexron III instead? Will it cause any ill effects on our transmission? Will it be better on our transmission? I'm attaching a PDF I snagged off Motul's side on their ATF. It's Dexron III but says can be used in place of II-D or II-E... Eddie

Edited by FlossyTheSmart
Attachment was lost

I'm going out on a limb here, and suggesting that perhaps the specification of Dexron II that is in our Getrag has some friction modifiers in it that are different to those found in the Dexron III. This might mean additional wear in the long term - if the Dexron III is 'too slippery'. I only bring this up because Suzuki right up until today is specing GL4 gear oil for the transmission and t-cases in their vehicles. (Diffs can take GL5). It has been suggested to me that the synthetic GL5 gear oils are too slippery, and have led to synchro wear over the longer term. And yes, try finding GL4 gear oil - not even a Suzuki dealer has any! Who knows... but I will get an answer eventually. I'm not concerned in the meantime, because with the readings I got back from Finning today on the tranny fluid - I will be checking things a couple more times and changing the fluid again. (Time to buy jacks I guess.) Feel free to see the results attached. I also have two oil samples back which are trending with no particularly unusual results that I can tell.

Edited by FlossyTheSmart
removing broken attachment

I know some of the GL5 synthetics had a higher sulphur content - raised havoc with some bronze based parts. For the Jeep Tranny they actually recommend finding (if you can) a GL3 - as the synchro rings are really prone to issues.

Cheers,

Cameron

So after this research and excellent information, do we have a consensus of one or two readily available choices of product for the job?

Bil :sun:

The thing I would like is to actually get a reply from an MB dealer (requested) as to what they would refill the tranny with. Let's say they had to service it, replace a seal, yada yada... would THEY have access to D21065?

I'm also waiting on Getrag. (The smart guy is out til next week.)

I'm not especially concerned in the short-term. Long term, if I need to locate a six-pack of the purplish elixir, then so be it.

Getrag replied and said to call Mercedes. I have an e-mail to their smart rep who returns next week, but I doubt I'll get a different reply.

According to a reply from Bjorn over at smartmaniacs where I asked about the ATF for the Getrag:

The MB part number is: 10 001 989 26 03 10 (1 liter)

Can someone check into this? (I won't be near a dealer for a bit...)

It's a valid part # pricing out at $38.50.

They don't know who makes it though as it's repackaged into MB bottles...

Eddie

Re: pt # 10 001 989 26 03 10

I saw a bottle of this 'mystery transmission fluid' today. As did the Service/Parts Manager at a corporate store. We opened it. Not dyed any colour - looks like gear oil. Hmm... I neglected to smell it assuming it was indeed a gear oil. But it was packaged in a typical shaped bottle that ATF would come in - except there was absolutely no reference on the bottle as to what it really was - just 'transmission fluid', with spec MB 235.1 listed

Asked what they have used in trannies - apparently two have had to be replaced as of recent (new deliveries with fluke defects) - and they put in 75/90. Hmm...

So... I gave them the ATF D21065 info, and they will investigate further.

BTW - MB 235.1 is a gear oil spec - not an ATF spec... so something is wrong - perhaps the part # I was given in the UK.

The plot thickens...

Don't get to carried away with MB specs, etc. What better way to sell a $38 liter of oil, when you can buy ATF for $3, than to put some fancy spec. number on it.?

Bear in mind that these are the same smart tech. people that say never to change the fluid. They recommend running it forever with contamination, wear particules etc. abrasively wearing away at the gears, bearings and seals.

Similarly with the Dex II vs. Dex III discussion. It doesn't make a bit if difference in our standard gearbox. The friction modifiers come into play to control the slipperiness of the clutches and bands in automatics. ATF Type F was Fords old spec because thay wanted a smoother shift. Dex, Dex II, Dex III are G.M. who wanted a snappier engagement. Then along came Ford's Mercon. This is why you cannot put a product like STP into an automatic....too slippery, but works fine in a manual.

Total confusion for the average consumer who probably just grabs the first bottle he sees or the cheapest off WalMart's shelf.

Enter the smart technician who puts in 75-90. A bird of a different feather altogether.

Very unlikely that the transmission will even turn over on a cold Ontario morning.

Another good reason to do your own changes and control your own destiny.

Personally I am using Mobil 1 ATF. This is overkill, but the bottle looks nice on my shop shelf. I would have no worry using any brand name ATF. I could use 10 weight motor oil and it would work just as well.

The important thing is to change the oil and get rid of the crud in the old oil. That is the killer.

IMHO.

Oh.... as far as colour goes, again totally irrelavant. All oils have different colors added, mainly for product identification and to help identify leak sources.

Fair enough - I posted something you would get a kick out of in the HOW-To thread, which echoses what you just (and previously) posted.

My only alarm today was hearing that 75/90 was going in at the dealer...

I've beeen running Mobil 1 ATF for about 10,000 kms now - which reminds me - I need to pull a sample.

Eventually - we'll be able to help fellow owners cut to the chase on this myriad of (over) complexity.

75/90GL ? Not a synthetic? Strange in this day and age - heck I run synthetic in the diffs of all my cars (twice on the Jeep!) - noticed a big difference in service life (i.e. still good at the changes) and a lot slipperier.

Cheers,

Cameron

I changed the tranny fluid last week with Mobil 1 0 40 ATF full synthetic. Backed her up on ramps and it was very easy to do! I found the plugs rather tight and was glad I was using the 8mm hex in a socket. I had an old gear bottle with a spout on it and was able to use that rather than trying to pump it in.

Very easy and painless!! Glad I did it because it did look quite dirty.