Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Xandria

Best Diesel Fuel

20 posts in this topic

Who makes the best diesel fuel right now? Are there any plans for new types of fuel in the near future?

this might just be me, but has anyone noticed that some diesel smokes more often than others?

I find I get the best mileage from shell diesel, but it smokes more? lol, it might just be that the pump can fill to the rim better since I only fill up to the click wait 30s-1min and fill up to the click again. nothing scientific at all.

I made the mistake of filling up in richmond, full service is the bylaw and the guy filled only 15L, and then put it back right away so it was not full at all.

I just came back from filling up the car (a double whammy -- a ten cent jump in the price of diesel - OUCH - and my worst mileage to date -- OUCH OUCH), and we got talking with a guy who said he was a diesel mechanic (German, driving a Benz, familiar with smarts, told us about just getting back from Germany and driving the forfour and the roadster), who said we should be putting in the additive stuff every time we filled up, as Canadian diesel was so crappy.

Is anyone doing this? The salesguy gave us a bottle of it with instructions to use it during the winter, but should I be doing this more often?

'Best' is a subjective term when it come to discussing fuel. Fred will tell you it's all hype.

I would like to know though, WHO has the lowest sulphur content currently? In other words, which refinery is 'better' at refining?

... a diesel mechanic....said we should be putting in the additive stuff every time we filled up, as Canadian diesel was so crappy.

What additive is that?

Some are using cetane boosters (Derek in Edmonton IIRC) but smart Canada recommends against additives I believe, in the manual.

In western Canada (well, BC and Alberta at least), Husky, Shell and one or two others already sell fuel that is well under 50 ppm Sulphur - others are probably closer to the present 500 ppm limit.

Well, now that would have been a good question, right?

I can only assume he meant something to stop it gumming up the injectors.

However, I'm also going to assume that smart Canada knows what it's talking about, and if they recommend against, then I'm going to go with that.

(The stuff we were given for the winter was to stop the fuel from gelling...)

That additive may have been just intended for the first tank.

Remember FlushBush had his French factory Diesel fuel gel up and cause a no-start? So I think winter deliveries were either drained of the French fuel or the buyers were given a one-time-only anti-gel additive.

OK this sulfer thing is confusing me. Is it just being removed for the enviroment???? Or is it of benifet to the engine and milage? :peeved:

Sulphur clogs catalysts, damages injectors, clogs EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valves AND pollutes the air.

Sulphur clogs catalysts, damages injectors, clogs EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valves AND pollutes the air.

I also thought it had to be there, for lubrication or something. If it was to be removed they would have to replace it with something else?

All the long-time diesel owners that I know recommend Sunoco Gold Diesel (the only diesel they sell in Ontario Sunoco locations). That's good enough for me, and it's all I use. The Shell on the other side of the street tends to be more expensive anyway, particularily for their Gold Diesel.

of all the stations I've been to there has always just been one kind of diesel, even the shell stations...so am I safe to assume its just regular diesel and not gold? and we don't have sunoco here in the west :(

I also thought it had to be there, for lubrication or something. If it was to be removed they would have to replace it with something else?

That's only the case for some of the old-style mechanical injection Diesel engines, where some oil seals can fail without it. Modern Euorpean Diesels have been designed for low sulphur fuel.

Adrian, the Shell Diesel in BC is all low-S, even the regular.

That additive may have been just intended for the first tank..

D'you mean the one from the dealer? Then why would I have been given it when I got the car in April?

Or am I supposed to use it once at the start of winter?

I think I'm having a :blondmoment: , and I'm not even blonde.

And the Sunoco station I go to has two levels of diesel, "regular" and "gold" -- are you sure they have gold everywhere?

That additive may have been just intended for the first tank..

D'you mean the one from the dealer? Then why would I have been given it when I got the car in April?

Or am I supposed to use it once at the start of winter?

I just got my car on Monday and I was given the additive too (can't recall what brand it was off the top of my head, but I can check the bottle when I get home) and was told not to use it until winter, at which time I should put in one capful every time I fill the car. I would assume this is just a safety precaution, to ensure that the station isn't selling fuel that will gel on me.

As for Sunoco, there's only one in Kitchener that sells diesel (and it's not one of the three (3!!) on my street but it sells two kinds of diesel too. I don't know the difference though, since I don't go there.

I asked this at the other place, but didn't get an answer, so I might as well try again. Anyone know where Canadian Tire gets their diesel from? I plan to go there as long as they keep providing Sobeys money but would like to know the quality of their fuel.

Mike .. yeah.. you are right.. I add an additive to every tank.. it comes in a 1 litre bottle and costs $14.95 .. you add 50-100 ml to every tank It jumps the Cetane # 6-8 points... th car runs smooooootttthhhh... !!! LOL

I'll be using the gold. I asked mixed if he's used it, and he said it does make a performance difference, a little more expensive, but worth it. This is what the Sunoco website says:

"Gold Diesel contains more cetane than our regular diesel. Higher cetane means better combustion, making the fuel in your vehicle ignite faster and more evenly...your engine will start faster and warm up quicker in cold weather...you'll notice your engine running more quietly...less white smoke from unburned hydrocarbons. Sounds good. Smells better. As you drive, Gold diesel is hard at work cleaning your engine. You may not see it, but you'll feel it Because when your fuel injectors are clean, they operate at their proper flow rate. That means maximum power. Cleaner injectors also maintain their proper spray pattern for better fuel and air mixing. The upshots? Maximum fuel economy. With emmisions reduced up to 22%. That's a lot... Gold Diesel contains a corrosion inhibitor that coats fuel system surfaces...."

As for the dirty Canadian diesel, yes it is dirty. Thats one of the reasons for the delay in the initial shipments of our smarts, they had to make the necessary changes to the smart engine to cope with the Canadian diesel. Its one more thing they have to do in Halifax when they roll of the boat.

www.sunoco.ca

Can you elaborate on the changes made to the car in Halifax re: poor CDN fuel? Other than the extra filter, that is....any software changes?

I guess this topic should really be "Who has the lowest sulpher content and best cetane numbers" Who wants to poll the fuel manufactures for us?

Who wants to poll the fuel manufactures for us?

Results of the Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Survey 2001/2002 (diesel fuel) *See especially table 4.1:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/energ/fuels/reports/fu...Report_p4_e.cfm

More form our hard working federal civil servants, bless them...

Environment Canada (diesel fuel):

http://www.ec.gc.ca/energ/fuels/fuel_home_e.htm

Sulphur in Liquid Fuels 2000 (report):

http://www.ec.gc.ca/energ/fuels/reports/su..._rpt_2000_e.htm

//

Shell has a few things to say...

"The Canadian federal minimum standard for cetane is 40 (on-road diesel)... (In some European countries, cetane typically exceeds 50. But such fuels also have higher cloud points that are not practical in severe Canadian winters. And note: cetane is NOT a measure of power.)"

"As of Oct. 1, 1994, Shell and other major Canadian refiners began selling only low-sulphur (0.05 per cent) diesel fuels, under an agreement with the federal government to reduce particulate emissions."

"...Shell's Scotford Refinery near Edmonton has been manufacturing ultra-low sulphur diesel fuel (0.01 per cent) for more than a decade without experiencing any signs of lubricity problems."

http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/encyclop...sel/diesel.html

///

...and PetroCan has some "Quick Facts"...

http://www.petro-canada.ca/eng/prodserv/fuels/6824.htm

///

Biodiesel Canada:

http://www.biodiesel-canada.org