Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

spare tire

101 posts in this topic

I've just had a friend in Germany order a spare tire and wheel for me at smart Würzburg. It's 115 section (115 mm wide) and on a skinny rim. I should get it in several weeks. The cost is about 90 Euros for both rim and tire, plus postage. It should fit behind a fully extended driver's seat. I'll post photos when I get it.

Edit: price correction

Woo! That sounds good! If it works out we will have to get someone in Canada to sell them!

That's awesome! After you and I were discussing it in Bellingham, Mike, I tried finding a source but was told they stopped producing them. It was a UK dealer that told me they initially got 2 or 3 per dealer just to help customers out back when the smarts were new but that they were no longer made now that tires are much more common. So if you found a source, I think its a GREAT item for all smarties to have and I'd be very interested in buying a relatively large quantity for distro here.

- Steven

I'd get one! My father is a little concerned about me driving around without one. :tremble: I saw somewhere on this forum a pic of a tire mounted on the rear exterior, but I'd want to keep it inside the car. Somehow.

I'd take one if it would fit behind the seat fully extended.

Agreed... That's why I'm hoping these fit the bill (and are available). I don't really like the exterior version myself either, but there's no reasonable place to put a full-size inside the car. I don't know that it will fit behind the driver seat fully extended, but it should certainly be able to fit behind the passenger seat without much compromise.

- Steven

You'll be the first to know once I get mine, Steven, incl. part no.. BTW I messed up on the price - it was 90 Euros, not 80.

I'm hoping it's under 10 kg, but if not, no worries either, because I'm getting a number of other items sent over at the same time.

I'd take one if it would fit behind the seat fully extended.

I'll take one as well if it can fit behind the driver's seat.

Hi there, I recently purchased a spare tire from MB dealership, about $185, and right now it`s behind the drivers seat. I cannot put the seat all the way back, but it is not a big deal since I coudn`t reach the pedals if I did anyway, looking into spare tire holder and hard cover for wheel on the back from Smartieparts.

Steven

Update:

I've been able to find a supply of 115mm tires with J3.5 rims.

Here's the question though... how many people would be interested? Minimum order on the rims s 50pc!

Will the 3cm make enough difference? Cost is about $150.

- Steven

Update:

I've been able to find a supply of 115mm tires with J3.5 rims.

Here's the question though... how many people would be interested? Minimum order on the rims s 50pc!

Will the 3cm make enough difference? Cost is about $150.

- Steven

If it fits behind the drivers seat with the seat ALL the way back I'm interested.

That's what I mean... I don't know if the 3cm is going to make that difference. If anyone has a friend who owns a mini, their spare tire is the exact same size. Exact same wheel, really.. just different bolt pattern.

- Steven

I made a template of 115 mm section and put it in the space behind the fully rearward driver's seat and it seems it will fit, if not right to floor level. That would be OK with me. Also, we have a compressor on board, so we could leave it deflated, if that makes a difference. $150 is a good price, Steven, more or less what I'm going to pay! Unless I get my MWSt rebate ;)

Is yours used or new? If it was the actual genuine smart spare that was made in extremely limited numbers... its gotta be used, no? Or are you going the route I am with a Scandinavian cdi 3.5J wheel and a Mini/MG doughnut tire?

- Steven

I am with Dean (TFM) on this one. If the tire fits behind the driver seat fully extended then I will order one. I will wait until Mike gets his tire and see what he says.

If it does fit I will pay upfront to get one of these wheel/tire combos. You should be able to get 50 orders with all the smarts that are now in Canada.

Würzburg smart dealer advises tire/wheel is back-ordered and may not be available after all......

Steven, what is your source? I may have to join in your buy group....

Mike - my source for the tires is not a problem... there are 3 manufacturers of that size and at least a dozen large retailers that claim to carry them since they are the same for a few different cars' spares. For the rims, I went right to the source :) That's why there's a minimum order of 50. They indicated everything was in stock but they needed a few days to figure shipping out.

Like anything with these overseas deals... this will probably take some time to work out. They (euro/UK suppliers) seem to always take at least a week to respond to emails and getting them on the phone is difficult. On top of that, it is an unusual order and they have to figure out how to send it. Its also a relatively tiny order for them, I'm sure... so I don't want to get too pushy. In my experience, that style of business doesn't get you anywhere fast.

Thanks for the interest everyone.

Again, if anyone has a friend with a Mini, see how their spare fits behind your seat please. Confirm it is 115mm in width, as maybe they use different ones in Canada.

- Steven

Hi, Steven. Sam and I would like to put our name on your list. If it fits behind the seat. Even the passenger seat.

I should have my new spare tire in several weeks, so we can check it out then. It's an aftermarket 115 tire on a smart skinny rim. smart is not selling the original "spare tire" as a distinct part any more.

Ok, so pretty much the exact same thing I would be bringing in. Good to know... Mr. Pig. Or may I call you Guinea? - Steven

I got my spare tire today in the mail....

It's a 3.5 inch wide steel rim with a 115/70 MR-15 temporary Coninental tire on it. The top speed is 80 km/h. The tire pressure is 60 PSI (Keith are you reading this - imagine an 80 km/h economy run on four of these puppies ;))!

Now the 115/70 size means that the diameter and circumference of the tire is not the same as the OEM wheels, so I was concerned that using it would trigger ESP errors or actuate ESP. I put it on a front wheel and drove the car for about 3 km and there was no problem.

If I was on a trip and had a front flat, no problem. If I had a rear flat, I think I would switch a front tire to the rear and then put the spare on the front, so the differential doesn't have to work so hard.

And now....does it fit behind the dirver's seat? Yes it does.

The tire can't be pushed right down to the floor level though, as that would prevent the seat from going fully rearwards. but with it about 8 cm off the floor it does get pinched nicely between the rear bulkhead, the seatback and the luggage cover rod. I have my seatback somewhat reclined. I think I may end up putting the smart warning triangle under the tire, since there is now space for it there.

Ask me to look at it the next time I'm at an event near you...