Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

spare tire

104 posts in this topic

hmmmm.....

After the sharp rock incident outside of Leggett California (where I owe Arnie $.35 cents - 'cause they only have marked diesel) - It might be good for a lot of piece of mind....

Eagerly awaiting a look at it Mike - heck I might even have to set up another June event.

Cheers,

Cameron

Ask me to look at it the next time I'm at an event near you...

Hey, Mike when do you expect to be in Fredericton, NB? :lol2::speechless: Do you have any pictures of the spare wheel behind the driver seat? And how tall are you?

NB - you might have to wait a couple of years ;); I am 6'3" tall and have the seat all the way back all the time. Photos - not yet, but soon.....

This is good news. Come on Zetsche - give us the word down here - all we need are the Smarts to put them on.

Cmdr. Cody

I took some shots of the spare when I met Keith at IKEA today.....

It fits behind the driver's seat with it all the way back, but it's about 5 cm off the ground (and held tightly in place despite that).

post-5-1150869963.jpg

post-1-1150869963.jpg

post-1-1150869964.jpg

Have you told us somewhere about these being the original front CDI wheels with a different tire? And what was on the rears?

Uh yeah, the front rim is only 3.5 inches wide, which is what the original cdis had on the front, with 135/70-15 tires. On the rear of those original cdis were 175/55-15s, just like our cars have.

To reiterate, the spare is a 115/70-15 tire, by Continental, with a 80 km/h maximum speed (good for economy runs ;)).

I think I know what I am doing next, but before I do, can someone verify the weight of the sportline fronts and pure (steel) fronts, with the appropriate tires? (Or I will weight them, since I actually have both available now)

;-)

Does anyone know the status of that group buy for the tire? I would like one if still posible??

Aaron

Well, there wasn't one really. I was going to bring them in commercially to resell them here, and I'll give you an update on that.

The people that sell the rims want to much for the shipping. The people that sell the tires want too much for the tires. The people that put the two together (here locally) want WAY to much to do that (although I haven't shopped around on that one). Ignoring the latter, I'd have to sell them for closer to $200 if I can't get better pricing. Mike's source might be able to do better for a smaller group, or could perhaps do better for me (I was looking at purchasing close to 50 - whatever fits on a pallet).

- Steven

I think the landed cost of mine was ~$200 anyway: new 3.5 inch rim, spare, mounted and balanced in Germany were 110 Euros, not 90. Plus I got nailed for duty in the end.

I doubt my source (nothing more than a smart dealer and my friend Reiner) would come in at less than $200 a pop.

Over to you, Steven...

:tremble: The spare can fit behind the sit but what about the jack? Is there one specific for our car??

There is... sort of. A clever guy in Germany found or made one (I'm not sure) that works very well with the smart. I have it available on my site but I do not carry it in stock because the weight makes it very expensive to bring in and jacks (hehe) the price right up. But if you want it I can get it (click here).

I have a Suzuki Swift and the jack that comes with it works perfect for the smart. Its just a common cheap scissor jack with slots cut out of it rather than a flat platform, and it works very well with the smart. So perhaps just hit a junk yard, try to find a 1995 - 2000 Suzuki Swift or Geo Metro or Chevy Sprint or Pontiac Firefly (all the exact same car) and get the jack out of it.

- Steven

Steven - Is the Swift jack a low enough profile to fit under the reduced clearance with the smart tire deflated?

I may be interested in the German kit; it looks OK to me and the price is not that bad.....considering the tools and bag. Maybe I'll wait until you get one in stock ;)

Yes Fred, not a problem.

Mike, I'll see about getting a couple extra on one of the shipments. I've been bringing it in on a special order basis because my parcels are limited to 20kg and there are more popular items that are a lot lighter. I'll tell them to add a few kits where they can find room.

- Steven

If I was on a trip and had a front flat, no problem. If I had a rear flat, I think I would switch a front tire to the rear and then put the spare on the front, so the differential doesn't have to work so hard.

The differential really wouldn't be "working" - the intermediate bevel gears would just (very slowly) be rotating... it would be like pulling a very, very wide radius turn constantly, from the differential's standpoint.

It's no worse than an all-right turns in traffic commute or something like that. :)

-Iain

Of course, you are right, it's just my worry-wart friend Bruce F who feel this way about diffs ;)

I have a Suzuki Swift scissors jack for my Smart and it works great. Most jacks dont go low enough to do the job when the tire is flat, but this one does. Cheap too, came with my hubby's SuZuki GTI .

Hope I never need to use it though, now that I hve a spare wheel likely wont need it.

:biglaugh:

Canadian Tire sells a 12V electric jack, but it says that the range is 6" to 14". Using a tape measure (and not being extremely exact about it), it appears that we have between 5" and 6" clearance. Does anyone know if this thing would fit? I've read that E3 uses this type of jack, but don't know if it is this same model.

Canadian Tire Jack

Fyi... I brought in a few sets of jacks that were specifically geared for the smart. They were developed in Germany, and the kit includes the jack, wrench/bar-thingy (loss for the right term right now) with a 15mm end, a screwdriver (for removing the hubcap if you have steelies) and a bag for the whole thing.My first suggestion is to go to the wreckers and find a jack for a Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Pontiac Firefly or Chevy Sprint... it works perfectly and shouldn't cost you much at all (but you never know... some wreckers are rip-off artists).Beyond that, this kit is pretty nice... just not cheap. I have 2 in stock and I can get more at any time. PM me for a link if you're interested (or search for "wheel change kit" on SmartieParts). - Steven

I bought a jack, socket, and ratcheting driver at Princess Auto for like $20. Fits right under the driver's seat!-Iain