Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

spare tire

104 posts in this topic

... or a $10 can of Tire Inflator?covers 99% of flat tire scenarios except for a sidewall puncture

I've seen two flats on smarts (one was on my car) and in both cases, the tire kit was either useless or marginally useful. If you're running at speed for several hundred metres when a tire deflates (which is possible with a rear tire, it's hard to tell it is flat until it starts howling), it should be thrown away, even if it looks OK on the outside.

Thanks, Eddie. Now I just need it to go on sale...I can attest to the possible need of a spare rather than just the tire kit. With the lower profile tires, it is harder to tell your tire has gone flat when you are driving. I had a flat in my Mazda this past summer, and drove from Gastown to New West wondering what that thump was on occasion. I'd pulled over and looked underneath, thinking I had caught something and it was dragging, and didn't notice the tire (right rear). Even drove on the freeway a bit with it - drove fine. Noticed the flat when I parked, and when I took the tire off the entire inner sidewall was shredded. Surprisingly (and luckily), no damage to the rim.

I took some shots of the spare when I met Keith at IKEA today.It fits behind the driver's seat with it all the way back, but it's about 5 cm off the ground (and held tightly in place despite that).

Mike, great idea about getting a thin spare and putting it behind the driver's seat. But I'm curious and interested to know if you could also get a similar tire for the rear and put it behind your passenger seat? That way you have a spare for the front and back at all times. I know the rear tires are a bit bigger so is it possible? When replying, please use layman's terminology because I don't even know what the tire numbers refer to. Thanks, Regina :biglaugh:

Greetings Regina.The front wheel and tire will fit on both the front and back (the back will not fit on the front). You can think of it as one of those undersize spare donut tires a lot of new cars come with. You wouldn't want to drive a rally, or long distance at high speeds, but it will get you to a tire shop or back home.So, in effect, getting a skinny wheel and tire as a spare for the back would just be a front. :-)MG

So what would be the best way to get my hands on one of these spare tires? Cost isn't an option as I consider it a safety item.I've got roadside coverage and a can of fix-a-flat, but want the added assurance of know I can change the tire and get back on the road quick.Thanks :doublethumb:

So what would be the best way to get my hands on one of these spare tires? Cost isn't an option as I consider it a safety item. I've got roadside coverage and a can of fix-a-flat, but want the added assurance of know I can change the tire and get back on the road quick. Thanks :doublethumb:

Sean, I agree. I would be interested in a purchase as well once I got my 08 in NYC.

I am actually shocked that none of the Canadian dealers offers this. I showed it to TPM sales staff on Tuesday. If you folks want a spare, I suggest you get on your dealer, armed with the photos and info in this thread.

I am actually shocked that none of the Canadian dealers offers this. I showed it to TPM sales staff on Tuesday. If you folks want a spare, I suggest you get on your dealer, armed with the photos and info in this thread.

Did you see a smart part number associated with this rim? It sounds like the tires can be gotten relatively easily in N.A. so maybe a group buy on rims would be a good thing if we can't get the dealers interested...

B:sun:

Here is everything from the RIM: 10B 0266 8ZCZ MICHELIN MADE IN FRANCE 07 01 DOT E 3 1/2 J 15 HA 00554 0002156 V005From the TIRE: Continental CST 17, T 115/70 R15 90 M DOT HW 5R AMCW 600 kg max load, 80 km/h max speed

I recently bought a full set of Pulse wheels and tires with the go flat protection for 121 euros each from bilglad.......carry one skinny one behind the pass. seat......have spares for life. Hope to need none...

Here is everything from the RIM: 10B 0266 8ZCZ MICHELIN MADE IN FRANCE 07 01 DOT E 3 1/2 J 15 HA 00554 0002156 V005From the TIRE: Continental CST 17, T 115/70 R15 90 M DOT HW 5R AMCW 600 kg max load, 80 km/h max speed

Say Bil, when you guys have your next Smart Get Together, I think a spare tire would be a hell of a prize. You could have everyone interested put in $10 to play the lotto at the beginning of the meet and then have some uninterested person pull the winning number at the end of the get together. If I recall, the total bill was under $200 so with 20 players, the tire is paid for and any excess money can go to the organizer. What do you think?? Regina

Say Bil, when you guys have your next Smart Get Together, I think a spare tire would be a hell of a prize. You could have everyone interested put in $10 to play the lotto at the beginning of the meet and then have some uninterested person pull the winning number at the end of the get together. If I recall, the total bill was under $200 so with 20 players, the tire is paid for and any excess money can go to the organizer. What do you think?? Regina

I like the way you think, Regina! :thumbup:

Our groups get together so often for these little meets that maybe we should start thinking about a small inventory of tasty prizes.

Cheers for that.

Bil :sun:

Good idea!I'm keeping mine though. ;)The reason I like the ultra skinny spare is that no-one's safety is compromised. In the fortwo, BOTH seats should be as far away from the dash as practcal. The passenger seat should be all the way back, notwithstanding the size of the passenger, for maximum interior deceleration distance.

The reason I like the ultra skinny spare is that no-one's safety is compromised. In the fortwo, BOTH seats should be as far away from the dash as practcal. The passenger seat should be all the way back, notwithstanding the size of the passenger, for maximum interior deceleration distance.

So Mike, this spare is considered the "Ultra Skinny". That's good. Do you think it will work on a 2008? Regina

I think it would, but I am not sure if the wheel offset is correct for the new fortwo.

I heard that a 2CV (C2V? - you know whuttamean) 3.5" wheel will fit on a smart for a spare - that it has the same 3-bolt pattern and hole centres! Are these available or rare?B:sun:

We could get SmartieYank to check - he has both cars - :biglaugh: Cheers,Cameron

I would say that a smart 3.5 inch steelie is easier to come by than a Citroën Duck wheel!

Ka Bump - and back from the basement - seems there is a lot of interest in spare tires so I have restored this post.Also I think you can now order the rim from any MB dealer and from FastEddy - Three Point Motors has the rim and the real slim tire as a package as well.Cheers,Cameron

I am interested if this would fit a 451?Having gotten burned by a blown tire, I much prefer to change it on the spot and be on my way than having to wait, etc...

It would fit but the offset would be wrong unless you mounted it on a 451 rim (which are not available in 3.5 inch width).

Bump again. Anyone know if this skinny spare is still available from TPM or elsewhere??Bil :sun:

Edited by bilgladstone