Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duck

2006.07.28-31: Washington DC

13 posts in this topic

I'm too tired to write up a lot of stuff about this, but it was a whirlwind trip... my buddy Paul and I did lots, saw lots, and had a ton of fun. Answered a lot of questions about the car every time it stopped moving, and several times while moving at high speed. :)

Here are a few highlight photos...

Posted Image

The posse

Posted Image

I love Rte. 15

Posted Image

These stickers were on every Diesel pump... weird...

Posted Image

Why it's the Nipple Convalescent Home (??)

Posted Image

Owning traffic on the beltway at 136 km/h

Posted Image

The real reason I came... the metro!!!

Posted Image

Woke up the next morning, looked out window, to catch cops taking pics of each other with their giant forensics camera...!

Posted Image

Jake checks out the metro map on our way into the city

Posted Image

Cows at the washington monument. Nothing's wrong!

Posted Image

Kei-Van! I want!

Posted Image

Apollo/Soyuz

Posted Image

Unused LEM @ Air and Space

Posted Image

Mall/Monument

Posted Image

Jake @ Capitol

Posted Image

Mmmmm... I.M. Pei goodness

Posted Image

Paul checks out the ceiling

Posted Image

Arthur Ericksons' Canadian Embassassy

Posted Image

More Embasassy goodness

Posted Image

Jake with the World's Longest Escalator (Wheaton Metro station)

Posted Image

I have no idea what this is

Posted Image

Can you tell I love the metro?

Posted Image

Jake @ pond

Posted Image

Time for Krispee Kreame!

Posted Image

Jake wants donuts

Posted Image

The next morning, more observers... :)

Posted Image

Six Flags America - hey Daffy!

Posted Image

Vekoma Prone Coaster

Posted Image

Premier Rides LIMbowl

Posted Image

The AWESOMEST energy drink ever!! I love this stuff!! IT's like liquid candy!

Posted Image

Superman, Intamin Mega Coaster (mirror of Darien Lake's)

Posted Image

Paul wins a friend

Posted Image

The land of the SUV...

Posted Image

Holey warm!!

Posted Image

Back on the Metro to Union Statoin Jonny Rockets

Posted Image

Is this not the perfect roadsign for me?

Posted Image

As if we didn't see enough of the metro in DC... here's more of it on 15 south!!

Posted Image

I love this highway...

Posted Image

Good times.

Posted Image

Paul talked on his cel phone the ENTIRE TRIP.

Posted Image

-Iain

My Intrepid has a remote Door unlock/lock, trunk opener, panic button. From your window if you had one hit he panic button and watch them freak! :)

That's awesome, I've never been to DC, need to go.

I'm afraid the best I could have done would be to make the trunk go "rrrR!" and it would pop open a centimetre. :)

(and even that, the range of the fob is like < 10 m so... :P)

-Iain

lol I hit the door locks at a restaurant one day. I could see 4-5 people gawking and hit the door locks making all the lights flash etc. Another time I saw one of the lookers with the hands on the driver window peering in....so I hit the roof retract! that sent him scurrying backwards!

Awesome pics! looks like a fun trip!

S

gah... I love DC.

I wish you would've gone a week later. Rebecca and I decided to drive up Friday night... knowing full well I have to be at work 9am Monday morning :D I have that drive down to a hair under 12 hours.

and why is the canadian embassassy so much sassier than my crappy ole' US EmbASSy when I travel abroad??

almost forgot... Iain, next time you're in DC (or when you come to MCO), check out Five Guys Burger and Fries.... 100X better than Johnny Rockets (albeit no shakes :( )

www.fiveguys.com

that's my plug for the night

Can it possibly top Steak and Shake though? That's my #1 restaurant of all time in the entire universe.

I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Iain

Can it possibly top Steak and Shake though? That's my #1 restaurant of all time in the entire universe.

I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake I love steak and shake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Iain

Iain,

I was really impressed with your photography and thought you were a true top notch kind of guy, then you had to list Steak and Shake as #1 !!!!!!!!! AGGHHHH!! YUCK!!!! :puke:

Just kidding, the pics of the duck were hilarious, definitely don't have to worry about anyone assuming your pics as your own that way. I used to carry a keg cap with me while visiting foreign ports in the Navy, we'd have someone hold it up in the photo to tag the area as our shop's "been there, done that" for the day. Sadly those pics are lost forever. Lots of good memories at least :D

If you ever decide to take your Smart to San Diego, there is a little burger shop on the main strip in Ocean Beach called Hodad's. If you want a burger, that is the ultimate place to go. http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?R...0&RefID=390

I miss that surfer burger shop more than anything in SoCal. We're planning a trip to DC this fall to see family in Baltimore, we're going to try and use your pics as a tour map :D

I was really impressed with your photography and thought you were a true top notch kind of guy, then you had to list Steak and Shake as #1 !!!!!!!!! AGGHHHH!! YUCK!!!! :puke:

Haha!! :biglaugh: Well, maybe it comes from the saying "the grass is greener...". I hear a lot from my US friends that they are in love with Swiss Chalet. Hehe... but Steak and Shake burgers are just soooooo good! And the milkshakes are top notch. A close second for milkshakes are at Cedar Point at their "Coasters" restaurant. On par with the Jonny Rockets (which, btw, they now have IN THE PARK! Right near maXair).Someday I would love to journey across the way and visit California (probably not by car though - I miss flying), if I ever do I will definately keep in mind Hodad's! Thanks for the tip :)-Iain

Iain... when I lived in San Francisco, I recall seeing PEI plates ;)