Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain No Beard

Suggestions for 2007. April 7 Quebec leads for signups.

134 posts in this topic

I, too, hoped for a larger donation total when all the dust settled.

I guess the biggest bonanza would be if some new donors stepped forward as a result of the publicity, and a life was saved---that would be priceless.

But back to the subject of cash---I am curious if Shell Oil shelled out a donation to the BDBMS. Perhaps their budget for this fiscal year didn't allow for such extravagance? :cheeky:

I, too, hoped for a larger donation total when all the dust settled.

I guess the biggest bonanza would be if some new donors stepped forward as a result of the publicity, and a life was saved---that would be priceless.

But back to the subject of cash---I am curious if Shell Oil shelled out a donation to the BDBMS. Perhaps their budget for this fiscal year didn't allow for such extravagance? :cheeky:

I will find out. Shell did donate to the Relay, 200 x $20 gift certificates, for fuel. This will be sent in the package MB is sending out.

Garry

If we do go golfing next year can we use our smart cars as the golf carts?? :cheeky::speechless:

If we do go golfing next year can we use our smart cars as the golf carts?? :cheeky::speechless:

Yah, right, enforce a stereotype. Besides which, they wouldn't work; only 1 cup holder

MG

Remember, golf is flog spelt backwards, but uses clubs instead of whips

Fore! :P

I've only been to a driving range once in my life, and I didn't do very well. :P I'm probably much better at minigolf.

Come the early new year I would like to form the Committee for 2007. So, like this Relay where everyone respected each others opinion and input the same is expected for next year.

My first thoughts would be to decide a workable route scenario. eg. East to West, again, or, East and West meeting in Ottawa. I may also suggest we look at West to East. It appears we are looking at both ends meeting in the middle. :tremble: mmmm...........

Second thoughts.......to have Captains as before, however, to share the work, have Assistant Captains. In addition, there would be two Head Honchos. Now, we could nominate both main leaders and spokesperson or, I could volunteer and someone could step forth and volunteer to assist. I would like this to be democratic in the method of electing a leader(s).

Third.....Bruce Denniston Bone Marrow Society would be in from the beginning. It so happens Jeff Turner who sits as the President of the Ottawa Chapter, is also on the National Board of Directors for BDBMS. His location is in Ottawa.

Fourth.......the RCMP and Ottawa Police would be in this pretty well from the start, with the Ottawa Police perhaps coming in later.

Fifth...........sell Nova Scotia....particularly where there is a certain "berry" farm....if you know what I mean! :goodbad:

Sixth........soon I would lock the threads dealing with this Relay thus allowing focus on the next one.

Seventh..........Anything to do with next years thoughts would be posted in this "Suggestion Thread" for now.

Post your thoughts.

Garry

Mini golf is cool - "smart golf" would be even better! A few feet shorter...

We could hold a series of fundraising smart golf tournaments as we roll towards Ottawa - it would be a great way to draw crowds. There's my favourite courses in Abbotsford - the relay rolled right past them. And we were going to go to one on Vancouver Island in an earlier smart marmot meet but it was rained out...

Now if we could set up a course on Parliament Hill in Ottawa...

I saw a bumper sticker a few days ago that read "Life is not frustrating enough---so I golf."

I see no need to lock the 2006 fundraiser topics---just unstick them and make this one a sticky.

Your rough outline makes sense, Garry, and it's not too soon to set the wheels in motion. Smartzuuk gave a thoughtful list on the previous page, that combined with yours, should be a recipe for a successful party.

If I can add my two cents---I feel as though the major population centers (and major donation sources) were not given enough attention this year. Perhaps separate Captains for Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and Truro would be appropriate.

I think an Ottawa finish would work---but I think a date should be chosen to not conflict or coincide with any other events.

I think it's got to be the Bruce Denniston Bone Marrow Society again, but I think that Jeff Turner should practice shifting in a smart (at least using the soft-touch) before that time. :cheeky:

I think that stops should be planned at busy 'people places' such as shopping centres as well as at the MB dealerships. Curious passers-by are ready targets for pink envelopes.

I think more corporate sponsors should be found that will actually make donations to the BDBMS in return for their names being associated with the relay.

Since it would no longer be a 'Cross-Country Relay', perhaps it could simply be the 'Clubsmartcar Canadian Migration'?

Damn, I was hoping we'd be able to use the 46 "Cross Canada Relay" stickers I still have in my garage ;)

deezle was thinking ahead - he didn't put Cross Canada Relay on his flags!

I totally agree about the opportunities for fundraising in the big cities.

The run into Vancouver was fun, but we went right by the city. I posted an idea about going to the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition) but by then it was way too late to arrange something. We have the benefit of time at this point to build on the success of the first relay.

why didn't I think of that? ;)

The stickers can still be used.....a lot of people will be travelling great distances across Canada, from both ends. So...like last year not everyone travelled right across, but we still called it the Cross Canada Relay.

Garry

Dezzle

Way to go my thoughts exactly. I also think we should start thinking about the locations as soon as possible.

Way to go!!! :clapping:

Di

Oh, I'm sorry Deezle

But when your father registered your birth I told him two ZZ but he used two EE. HaHaHa !!!!

Maybe we're related to Bubbles :oh: !!!!

Di

Loyal TPB's fans, ok neighbor's :puppy: , know Bubbles has no relatives, just his kitty's.

Good to see your Deezle is registered. :cheeky:

This morning I had a wrap-up meeting with Jeff Mierins, Owner, Star Motors. He was very excited and grateful for inclusion in this years' events. We talked about the 2007 Relay and how it is evolving, as well, the possibility of holding a fundr raising Golf Tournament.

If we hold the Golf Tournament, Star Motor will donate a smart Car and the cost of 1 year insurance, for a hole-in-one prize. What a fantastic donation and attitude! This is due to the success of this years' event and the fun every one had.

Hats off to Jeff and Star Motors, Ottawa.

Garry

If we hold the Golf Tournament, Star Motor will donate a smart Car and the cost of 1 year insurance, for a hole-in-one prize.

Garry

After he told you about this donation, you should of told him that we are holding the Golf Tournament at Putt-Putt Minature Golf. :biglaugh::exitright:

If there is a golf tournament and hole in one contest, perhaps multiple tourneys could be held in major cities to get more participants. Have a hole in one contest at each, and if there are more than one hole in one winner, have a draw to determine the final winner.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More