Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lynda

So would you buy another Smart car?

255 posts in this topic

I've got a bad feeling now that the 450's are running out of warranty and moving on to the 2nd or 3rd owners (plus being beaten at less than reputable used car lots), they're going to develop a bad reputation. The cars will only fall in value ($4-5k soon) and nobody will pay MB service prices. These owners will cheap out and have even more problems than some of us.I think we should seek out these new owners and direct them here for a helping hand, before these cars start failing left and right, get a bad reputation, and prices drop to nothing.I'm lucky that I have a lift and full shop to work on my car, it would be nice if some aftermarket VW and euro shops started working on smart as well.Personally, I'd buy another. Soon as I can I'll be importing a roadster coupe. Another what, 8 years wait??

The only thing is, right now if you go to autotrader.ca and bring up ALL Cabrio smarts, that is 450`s and 451`s, they are asking as much for 2005 and 2006 CDI`s as 2008 and 2009 451`s. Not sure whats driving that. I love our CDI`s but some of those low mileage cabrio 451`s are down around 12,000 bucks. We may get another smart just to leave in the states and for us a gasser might make some sense as service and parts are more available for the 451 and the price of gas here is cheaper than diesel. They still get over 50 MPG imperial.

I've got a bad feeling now that the 450's are running out of warranty and moving on to the 2nd or 3rd owners (plus being beaten at less than reputable used car lots), they're going to develop a bad reputation. The cars will only fall in value ($4-5k soon) and nobody will pay MB service prices. These owners will cheap out and have even more problems than some of us.

Absolutely true, but it's not unique to smart, is happens to all cars, it is part of the normal life cycle.I would say that in 2014, when the average Canadian 450 will be a decade old, about 25% of them will be permanently off the road, partly due to mistreatment, some written off in collisions and partly due to wear and tear. About 75% of those still on the road at that time will be held together with bailing wire and bubble gum and will probably drop off the face of the earth within 5 years after that. The remaining 2500 cars will be more cherished, probably owned by the type of owners and enthusiasts who frequent this place. And those will be the source of the perhaps 2000 cars that will still be around 25 years hence....

Absolutely true, but it's not unique to smart, is happens to all cars, it is part of the normal life cycle.I would say that in 2014, when the average Canadian 450 will be a decade old, about 25% of them will be permanently off the road, partly due to mistreatment, some written off in collisions and partly due to wear and tear. About 75% of those still on the road at that time will be held together with bailing wire and bubble gum and will probably drop off the face of the earth within 5 years after that. The remaining 2500 cars will be more cherished, probably owned by the type of owners and enthusiasts who frequent this place. And those will be the source of the perhaps 2000 cars that will still be around 25 years hence....

I see a problem or our cdis, compared with some other cars (including Mercedes). Because of the limited number of these cars in NA, aftermarket or discounted OE parts will not be readily available. Once cars values drop to say $2 or $3k, owners will be reluctant to pay $1000 for a part that might only cost $100 for a domestic car. Only hope is that as those cars are then parted out and good used parts become available.Hopefully more Indy garages will start to work on these cars. But unless they are knowledgeable, their slightly lower hourly rates can sometimes end up costing owner more! Don't ask me how I know that :(

I see a problem or our cdis, compared with some other cars (including Mercedes). Because of the limited number of these cars in NA, aftermarket or discounted OE parts will not be readily available. Once cars values drop to say $2 or $3k, owners will be reluctant to pay $1000 for a part that might only cost $100 for a domestic car. Only hope is that as those cars are then parted out and good used parts become available.Hopefully more Indy garages will start to work on these cars. But unless they are knowledgeable, their slightly lower hourly rates can sometimes end up costing owner more! Don't ask me how I know that :(

I love my 05 cdi (as long as it remains relatively reliable) but my next commuter car will be all electric - maybe in 4 years.

Absolutely NOT!Dec 24 I return my Smart 451 as the 3 year lease is over. My plan was to buy it out when I bought it but the value of the car is now several thousand less than the buy out. Now I am fighting with MB over a $750 charge they want to make. two months before your lease is up the car gets inspected by Data Scan to see if its all right. They did their inspection. and said I owe MB $750. The car has 62K km and is in good shape it also has a boot cover and the tach and clock that I bought after getting the car.On my key, the rubber on the lock door button broke after 62,000 km It just wore off. They want to charge me $250I did my own 30Km, 45 Km and 60Km servicing with my son and replaced the front rotors and pads myself. They now want to charge me $400 because I didn't follow th A service A list. I can prove I bought Mobil one o-40 oil, but that isn't good enough. This is a very basic, simple easy to service car. MB is just trying to screw their customers and ensure they don't come back to ever buy another MB.

I just returned my 451 at the end of it's 3 year lease. I picked it up Dec 24 2007. This was right at the very start of deliveries when I waited weeks to get it. Though cute, with lots of character, it was not a keeper. I think mine will be one of the first of many lease returns. The service costs were high. The service quality was poor. The Mercedes Benz corporate store was arrogant in their handling of me as a customer. Gas mileage was below what was promised and premium fuel ate up the savings. The car had numerous problems - replaced transmission, terrible radio, rattly parts, wind noise. I leased it, planning to buy it out at the end, but the residual was higher than the value of the vehicle. There are now 211 2008 - 2010 smart for sale across Canada on Autotrader, but I called a couple of dealers and they aren't moving. Not even a 2008 with 13K mileage at $8995!It was an experiment. Now on to the next car, which will never be from a Mercedes Benz dealership.

Yep!!! I would buy another Smart in a heart beat! Unfortunately there are no more new Diesel models like my 2006 GrandStyle..so I plan to wait it out until the electric Smarts arrive! My young adult kids make me promise not to trade my old one in when the time comes....(keep it for them when they come back home to scoot around town) ....I would invest in a Rubbermaid bicycle shed to store it.....I mean I would get nothing on the return and it does serve its function....getting one from A to B efficiently.Smarts are like potato chips....you can't just have one....

im in this debate with myself already. having bought mine the spring an the cost of replacement part an labour is killing even with the price of diesel at par or above the price of gas isnt worth the mileage it gets. if i knew before hand how much cost over saving were i wouldnt have gotten it.

I'd buy another cdi if I could find one that someone had stored away, not realizing that maybe it wouldn't hold its value. Not much interested in gas engine.Ish.

My green smart has topped 180K km, and for those 6 years it's been exceptionally reliable, so this only reinforces my sense that these are decent little cars.

I am a huge fan of the CDI and we own two. Having said that after some fairly lengthy deliberation we are leaning towards buying a gas smart for a few reasons. 1. This one will be a third vehicle that will only be driven 6 months of the year and left at our place in California. Although we found someone at the local Mercedes dealer that will work on our CDI the reality is all parts will have to come from Canada and I suspect the expertise is questionable. 2. We will also occasionally be driving it in Mexico and again support for the gas model is there. 3. After speaking with a lot of gas smart owners (there are 5 in this gated community alone, 3 gas and two diesel) many who have more than 20,000 miles are acheiving pretty decent mileage. Mid 40's to 50 MPG which translates to about 54 to 60 MPG imperial compared to our 70 to 74 imperial with our CDI. Diesel is also more expensive here by a little bit although slightly cheaper than the premium required for the smart. Now some of their reports may ne suspect but many of the folks we talk to seem fairly anal about keeping track of their mileage. So yep, I suspect we will be buying another smart and although we are surprising ourselves it will probably be a gas 451. They drive nice, seem a little ballsier than the CDI and still look great. JMHOBy the way, the other CDI that is here was pulled in, 4 down behind a motorhome. We pull ours on a trailer but this is the third CDI we have seen towed 4 down.

I've got a bad feeling now that the 450's are running out of warranty and moving on to the 2nd or 3rd owners (plus being beaten at less than reputable used car lots), they're going to develop a bad reputation. The cars will only fall in value ($4-5k soon) and nobody will pay MB service prices. These owners will cheap out and have even more problems than some of us.

My Marty has had three different owners;> First person kept it till 4800km, gave it back to Mercedes> Second person had it till about 50,000km, got rid of it>>>>>At some point it was auctioned off and sold to one of these little no name dealers, who had no idea about the car (might as well have been a space shuttle for how much they knew)> Now I have it and it's happily at 82,000km (services done at Mercedes and one done by Glenn as well, who did a fantastic job)I will be the final owner of my smart, when it finally kicks the bucket then it will make a sweet project to get it back up and running :DBrit, Mathieu and Marty Car :D Edited by Britsmart

I'm still enjoying my smart. High milage, low problems. I would never buy a new gasser though. Mild hybrid, all electric, another diesel maybe. Gas - never. I would be embarrased to tell people that my fuel economy was that bad.I intend to run the 450 (2005 with 176K) for at least a couple of years more. It is perfect for my commute. When I replace it I think I would be looking at other 'interesting' cars. It will be time for a change but only for change's sake.

March 2011 thoughts for me:Yes I would buy another but only another diesel.After owning a diesel truck and a diesel car, I will never ever drive a gas car again.I hope I can get an electric Smart one day too!

I could see us with a cheap used 451 someday. I'll need some help someday when we get a house (and a driveway) to get Nosedive back up and running. :)-Iain

I just dropped back in for a chat. I don't think i would ever buy another smart car for use here in Saskatoon,Sask.I really WANTED to love this car.I've had five of them,and each time ended up selling it,for various reasons.These reasons include: -The incredibly rough ride on our lumpy, frozen, rutted streets in the winter. -The short wheelbase,while fantastic for parking,adds to the 'rough ride' when the streets are poor. -My upper back/neck problems are aggrivated by the car's less than smooth ride . -The car's initial 'wierdness',and unusual styling becomes less attractive over time. (like the owner!!) -The poor heater,poor air-conditioner. -The slow shifting transmission. -The lack of respect from larger vehicles,sharing the road. -'Tail-gaters', especially on icy roads. -The poor quailty of many of the car's light-duty parts and electronic sytems contribute to the high cost repairs at Mercedes-Benz dealerships after the warranty is over. -The 'Fun' facter usually dissipates over time,as the other negative aspects overide. -My 'addiction' to cars often causes me to want to buy something else.The only smart car's i havn't owned that i would have liked to, are the 'Brabus' smarts,and the 'Electric drive smart'.I still doubt that either of these car's 'good points',would be enough for me to own one anymore.I really liked being a member of clubsmart car,and 'talking' to it's many intersting members.I'll always miss this part!

With all the reasons you listed: Why did you buy 5? :)I miss mine dearly. The only thing I don't miss is the way other drivers treated me - but I get it in the new car, too. I don't feel like I "need to prove" anything anymore, though.-Iain

I've had five of them,and each time ended up selling it,for various reasons.

It took you 5 smarts to compile your list of minor complaints???Unbelievable ! But probably says more about the poster than the car. The math would equate to 10 cars that you didn't like when you add in the 5 that you got rid of to buy smarts.Some would say that this borders on insanity.

To all you owners out there. Would you buy another smart car after owning one. Or would you recommend against it. We are trying to make our decision on buying one, and want to know any pitfalls ahead of time.Thanks!

I have had my smart since Easter 2007 and have loved every minute of driving it. Loved it so mush I bought another one in 2011 albeit it is a gas one but still love my little smarts. By the way I have the 2006 for sale but don't care if I sell it or not

post-5356-1315149499_thumb.jpg

I've owned five, and likely, I will own others over time. Not much to complain about. They've been incredibly fun and reliable.

I've owned five, and likely, I will own others over time. Not much to complain about. They've been incredibly fun and reliable.

Trading in my black diesel smart for a newer 08 Gasser. Gonna miss the black clouds of smoke but will enjoy the smoother gas. The Limited One looks nice outside and superb inside. Now to drive it with the top down while summer still lasts.

We just did. We have been hunting around for a gas or diesel convertible that we would leave in California. We leaned towards the gas smart as it is easier to service there but we took a gasser for another drive and still prefer the diesel. The gasser was nice though. I guess it is just what you get used to. We just bought a 2006 CDI Passion, burgundy with silver tridium with 24000 ish KM and in absolute mint shape for 9000 thousand. It is about 45 days over due for a B service but only has about 3000 K on this oil change from what I can tell. It has never seen a winter and has never been in the rain. We are going to get it detailed next week and then trailer it down south behind the Motorhome. it will make it back to Canada every two to three years and we have found a competent Mercedes dealer that is willing to work on the CDI's

By the way Mike, Thanks for the opinions. It should work out good for us......we hope.

At about 7000 KM per smart car per year the triplets should last us for the next 25 years.

Posted Image

Edited by John & Angela

So there are a few testimonials regarding the original poster's question. Some yes, some no, some already have and you know what, it's all good!